• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwinds Mfg. Status?

GBoothroyd

I ordered a 37J1 jacket back in March of this year (2019) and still have not received my jacket. Via email in June, I was told he was waiting on knits. Recently I tried to contact Jason (Jay) with respect to my jacket’s status and have received no response. I tried to email him through his website as I had to do the last time only to find out the website is down:

I tried to contact Jay here through PM and no answer. I also tried to contact him through his Facebook page and no answer. Does anyone know this guy and what his story is or how to contact him?

ausreenactor

Certainly not looking good at this stage. There are parallel posts regarding Headwind on the forum at the moment. Someone may have alternate emails or cell phone details. Good luck with it.

Technonut2112

Since this was from a thread regarding another jacket today, it may not have been seen by the OP:

I thought I would post this for those wondering about Jay and Headwind.
He sent me this update.
I hope he can turn it around soon and best wishes are with him.

Hi Alan, thanks for the concern! I am OK but have had some major heath issues in the past few months. I had some problems with my gall bladder and liver that made me very sick. I was on the recovery and then I had a serious motorcycle accident and a bad brake on my collar bone. I am now recovering from that, so currently, I am down to one arm and in a lot of pain.

I will try to respond on the forums. I have not been there since I got sick, but I will try to get on there soon. You can pass the word along if you wish, and I will be back when I get to feeling better.

All The Best,
Jay

Julius

Seems all makers have the same problems these days.
All of them delay to reply to messages and delay to deliver the jackets.
If we excuse one should excuse the others too.

B-Man2

Sometimes life sends a guy a “shit sandwich”and when that happens you have to cut him a break. In Jays case it’s some major health issues that he’s dealing with right now. Having dealt with him in the past, he always delivered on time with a decent product . It’s unfortunate that one or two individuals have money outstanding with him. But I’d bet on Jay completing those orders or returning their money once he’s back on his feet.

Last edited:

GBoothroyd

Sometimes life sends a guy a “shit sandwich”and when that happens you have to cut him a break. In Jays case it’s some major health issues that he’s dealing with right now. Having dealt with him in the past, he always delivered on time with a decent product . It’s unfortunate that one or two individuals have money outstanding with him. But I’d bet on Jay completing those orders or returning their money once he’s back on his feet.

That is indeed true. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. However there is no excuse for not answering emails, PMs, Facebook messages, website messages and the like. Moreover, this was not the first time it was hard to contact him. Give me a response and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. If you ignore me multiple times, it makes you look shady. The website going down didn’t help matters.

B-Man2

That is indeed true. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. However there is no excuse for not answering emails, PMs, Facebook messages, website messages and the like. Moreover, this was not the first time it was hard to contact him. Give me a response and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. If you ignore me multiple times, it makes you look shady. The website going down didn’t
help matters.
You certainly have a point and a right to feel that way. It takes minimal effort to return an email. At the very least he should have contacted you and advised you of the same information he recently provided to Persimmon. Have you tried contacting him in the last few days? I would continue making an attempt to reach him. Let me suggest that he still has jackets listed on EBay . I would send him a message through there in the contact the seller section. It’s another avenue of communication that just might still be open.

GBoothroyd

You certainly have a point and a right to feel that way. It takes minimal effort to return an email. At the very least he should have contacted you and advised you of the same information he recently provided to Persimmon. Have you tried contacting him in the last few days? I would continue making an attempt to reach him. Let me suggest that he still has jackets listed on EBay . I would send him a message through there in the contact the seller section. It’s another avenue of communication that just might still be open.

Have I tried contacting him in the last few days? Why do I as the customer who’s paid in full have to jump through hoops to get him to be responsible? Shouldn’t the onus be on him? It is now going on six months and no jacket.

His ebay listings, as far as I can tell, are for jackets that are not pre-made. You have to order them the same way I did.

Nevertheless, yes I have tried contacting him recently. We made contact. Do you want to know how I made contact? By opening a PayPal case. That got him to respond. Nothing else worked. At this point I just want a refund and I told him so. I have not received a response or a refund as yet.

If he had been responsive and responsible I probably would have cut him more slack on getting the jacket made. But being who I am and knowing what I know, I saw my wife losing $650.00 on a birthday present for me on the occasion of turning 54 back in April.

B-Man2

Have I tried contacting him in the last few days? Why do I as the customer who’s paid in full have to jump through hoops to get him to be responsible? Shouldn’t the onus be on him? It is now going on six months and no jacket.

His ebay listings, as far as I can tell, are for jackets that are not pre-made. You have to order them the same way I did.

Nevertheless, yes I have tried contacting him recently. We made contact. Do you want to know how I made contact? By opening a PayPal case. That got him to respond. Nothing else worked. At this point I just want a refund and I told him so. I have not received a response or a refund as yet.

If he had been responsive and responsible I probably would have cut him more slack on getting the jacket made. But being who I am and knowing what I know, I saw my wife losing $650.00 on a birthday present for me on the occasion of turning 54 back in April.
No use being pissed off at me there skippy...
Just tried to offer you a suggestion on how to contact him that you might not have been aware of... In case you missed it , I was trying to help you. “Being who you are, and knowing what you know”??? Sorry you lost me entirely on that one. But I really don’t need your reply as I have a feeling this could be the beginning of a pissing match and I just don’t need the aggravation, as I don’t have anything invested here and you do. Good Luck with your refund and I hope it all works out for you.

GBoothroyd

No use being pissed off at me there skippy...
Just tried to offer you a suggestion on how to contact him that you might not have been aware of... In case you missed it , I was trying to help you. “Being who you are, and knowing what you know”??? Sorry you lost me entirely on that one. But I really don’t need your reply as I have a feeling this could be the beginning of a pissing match and I just don’t need the aggravation, as I don’t have anything invested here and you do. Good Luck with your refund and I hope it all works out for you.
I am not pissed off at you. I just find it odd that you believe the customer has to jump through hoops to get in contact with a vendor after he has already put his hard earned money down and waited a long time. Furthermore, I have gone the extra mile to contact him, but the point is I shouldn’t have to.

Moreover, I don’t want to get into a pissing match with you and I’m not angry with you at all. In fact I think you have been helpful in airing this out. You could be even more helpful if you know him personally. You could ask him to give me my refund. If not, thank you for what you’ve done thus far.

B-Man2

I am not pissed off at you. I just find it odd that you believe the customer has to jump through hoops to get in contact with a vendor after he has already put his hard earned money down and waited a long time. Furthermore, I have gone the extra mile to contact him, but the point is I shouldn’t have to.

Moreover, I don’t want to get into a pissing match with you and I’m not angry with you at all. In fact I think you have been helpful in airing this out. You could be even more helpful if you know him personally. You could ask him to give me my refund. If not, thank you for what you’ve done thus far.
Hi
As I said earlier it was a suggestion that I didn’t know if you were aware of . I don’t think you should have to jump through hoops to get your money returned. I simply know Jay like most others on this forum, as someone who contributed to the forum and makes and sells jackets. I have no affiliation with Headwind . I, like a few others, have purchased one of his jackets and was completely satisfied with the product and the customer service. From what you indicated in your last correspondence you have filed a claim with Pay Pal, so based on what you have stated your money should be returned to you through their refund process. If everything you’ve told us is accurate, your refund will happen . Once again, good luck with your claim.

GBoothroyd

Hi
As I said earlier it was a suggestion that I didn’t know if you were aware of . I don’t think you should have to jump through hoops to get your money returned. I simply know Jay like most others on this forum, as someone who contributed to the forum and makes and sells jackets. I have no affiliation with Headwind . I, like a few others, have purchased one of his jackets and was completely satisfied with the product and the customer service. From what you indicated in your last correspondence you have filed a claim with Pay Pal, so based on what you have stated your money should be returned to you through their refund process. If everything you’ve told us is accurate, your refund will happen . Once again, good luck with your claim.

Not quite. I filed a case. Based on the case Jay, Jason Hartley, Headwinds Mfg. Et Al responded to me. I asked him for a refund. So far no refund. According to PayPal if the issue is not resolved, I can then file a claim.

Resolution means either getting the jacket or getting the refund. At this point waiting any longer for the jacket will make me unable to file a claim due to PayPal time constraints.

So, essentially, if I don’t get the refund I then file the claim. Time is ticking...

Technonut2112

AFAIK, when a PayPal case is initiated, a hold for the transaction amount (unless a lessor amount specified) is immediately placed on the seller's account. If the case goes to PayPal for a claim, and is decided upon in the buyer's favor, the disputed amount is awarded to the buyer UNLESS there are not sufficient funds in the account. PayPal could then only award what is in the account, and place a hold on the remainder until sufficient funds are deposited. This effectively locks the seller's account until that occurs. If no funds are deposited, and the seller abandons the account, AFAIK, there is nothing that PayPal can do to recover the remaining amount.

Hopefully, it will not come to the point of a claim, and the $$ is refunded. I have personally had no dealings with Jay, but he appears to be a stand-up guy from the posts I read from him and satisfied customers.

GBoothroyd

AFAIK, when a PayPal case is initiated, a hold for the transaction amount (unless a lessor amount specified) is immediately placed on the seller's account. If the case goes to PayPal for a claim, and is decided upon in the buyer's favor, the disputed amount is awarded to the buyer UNLESS there are not sufficient funds in the account. PayPal could then only award what is in the account, and place a hold on the remainder until sufficient funds are deposited. This effectively locks the seller's account until that occurs. If no funds are deposited, and the seller abandons the account, AFAIK, there is nothing that PayPal can do to recover the remaining amount.

Hopefully, it will not come to the point of a claim, and the $$ is refunded. I have personally had no dealings with Jay, but he appears to be a stand-up guy from the posts I read from him and satisfied customers.

Thank you for making that clear. I hope you are right, that Jay is a stand-up guy. One of the reasons I ordered form him was because he seemed to have good reviews here. If he refunds my money, I will proclaim that he is a stand-up guy for all here.