• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg...?

Juanito

I have 3 Headwind jackets on order, pre-paid.
I emailed Jay 3 weeks ago for an update, sadly
no reply.

Portland is turned upside down, hopefully Jay
and his loved ones are not caught up in all of
the mayhem.

Fingers crossed.
While I do not know Jay's situation, he lives on the east side of Portland, miles from downtown where the protests and rioting are pretty much confined to a 4 block area. Unless he is out protesting, I can't see how he would be affected by anything going on here.

Given the history, I highly doubt anything going on in Portland has anything to do with his business practices, or lack thereof. Coronavirus supply issues, maybe, but that has nothing to do with his Goodwearlike lack of response and a disconnected phone.

I do see he has this on his website:

"COVID-19 UPDATES
These have been difficult times worldwide and at Headwind Mfg we have taken this pandemic very seriously. We have always put the safety and health of our workers first and following this principle, we shut down our operations very early in the pandemic. I am relieved to say that these quick measures resulted in zero transmission of the virus at our facilities. We are now set to re-open on 9/15/2020. We are accomplishing this by strict use of masks and altering our production practices to allow social distancing. We hope to be quickly running near pre pandemic production levels but realize it will take some time to get there.

We greatly appreciate all the support from our customers! Your dedication to us and sticking with us through these hard times, spurs us on. We are committed to building you the finest reproduction jackets available and look forward to delivering on that promise."

Maybe he messed himself up on his motorcycle again...

Last edited:

mulceber

This seems like a pretty flimsy cover. If he shut down due to COVID, why was this not posted a long time ago? Why continue to take money when he won’t be able to deliver in a timely fashion? Remember, all through this, Jay was continuing to post items on eBay, quoting a turn around of a few weeks, even though he wouldn’t be able to deliver any time soon. Why not do what Platon did and refuse orders until things are back on track? Why the disconnected phone line?

Bombing IP

I see Headwind on eBay flogging his wares some at sale prices .Do not see much feedback for jacket sales in the last year though .For a man that puts so much effort into research of said products materials etc .He missed the chapter about customer service communication and supplying products to the customers satisfaction on time . When you take money from customers you are taking part of their lives that took to generate that money . Companies should be mindful of this and be more respectful ,this business of taking money and not returning emails or contacting people for updates is BAD FORM .Jay seemed like a nice guy on the forum but is a very bad business man that cannot produce but rides your money .I am officially awarding you the title of Shyster congratulations Jay welcome to the dark side you are now a wide boy.

BIP

Last edited:

mulceber

I certainly wouldn’t buy. It’s a shame really, because Jay had some really nice jackets, and in some of the more esoteric styles too. But what with Burt’s experience, and that of several other people on this board, I think you very well could end up throwing your money away. For a G&F, I’d say go with either Dave Sheeley or Bill Kelso. More expensive, to be sure, but at least you’ll know you’ll receive a jacket.

Brettafett

Yeah, had an HL Block from Headwind, amazing jacket, but was a touch big.
Had a G&F ELC M422a also, this ended up going to Nick, I still regret selling it. Both amazing jackets.

Marco94

Thanks guys !
Already have an ELC g1 and i m a little afraid that there's no différence of leather colour with their m422a
Same price with BK..
Headache soon ;)

zoomer

Jay sends me jackets, but up to now they haven't fit. Waiting on number three, for which I've sent a full set of measurements.

Brettafett

All things being equal and if I had the cash to put down on a new USN jacket right now, first ports of call would be Dave Sheeley, BK and ELC.
(GW of course, but I wouldn't wait over 2 years...)
Pity.... Headwind Mfg makes really nice jackets (have you seen Nahua's W&G M-422a? He did a review of it a few years back)

Having Dave refurb an original (if possible) would another consideration?

I guess it depends on your budget, how long ar you prepared to wait, how do you expect to be communicated with ;) etc...
Any of the above will land you an incredible jacket.

ELC G-1 comp M-422a.... The M-422a is definitely a lighter shade. Collar is same mouton, but a very different shape. Pockets and overall pattern also noticeably different.

BK's new goatskin looks insane to my eye. I have their W&G M-422 on my radar (I am an AVG nut), although many would prefer the M-422a.

B-Man2

As Brett mentioned . .. a possible solution depending on some variables, is to find a M-422a jacket that’s in wearable condition but needs some TLC . Talk to Dave to see if he can rehab the jacket . If he gives you a yes . Buy the jacket as cheaply as possible and have Dave restore it for you.
That’s how I acquired a Pritzker and Dave did a magnificent job with it .
52576B28-EAD2-4870-9B9B-18E24389D2BE.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

As Brett mentioned . .. a possible solution depending on some variables, is to find a M-422a jacket that’s in wearable condition but needs some TLC . Talk to Dave to see if he can rehab the jacket . If he gives you a yes . Buy the jacket as cheaply as possible and have Dave restore it for you.
That’s how I acquired a Pritzker and Dave did a magnificent job with it . View attachment 53266

A jacket like this, perhaps?https://www.ebay.com/itm/164691085002

Brettafett

I think, IF Dave had the time to do this, and IF you could find an original in the right size and right condition, at the RIGHT price...
And adding Dave's costs, IF it all balances out then... It would be the no.1 way to go.

I guess you have to look into these options, do the pros & cons... and decide...

Members online

Latest posts