• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg Co Updates And News

Smithy

Hey Jay,

So Stew waits 2 years for nothing - and with no communication from you for over a year even though you've taken his money, and then you pop up 3 years later here with a "Hey guys how's it all going" post as if nothing has happened.

If you don't understand how fucked up and bad that looks then you're either so stupid it beggars belief or you're a complete and utter arsehole.

Seriously, man up and own your own shit.

You fucked people over. No ifs and buts. You did it.

bseal

I for one am glad that Jay has returned as he seems willing to receive some constructive feedback.

Here’s to hoping that our other long in absentia, and notorious pals come home.

Public flogging is not medieval, it’s restorative.

Go team Schadenfreude!

Skyhawk

Next round of jackets are out of production and being sent out to customers. That is London Cabbie's Church M-422a in the mix.
IMG_20220827_065116154-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20220826_082641284_HDR-PhotoRoom.png
IMG_20220826_090017494_HDR-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20220825_073831543-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20220825_074011794.jpg

Skyhawk

Now that we have caught up on outstanding orders, we are moving forward with some different production processes that we have put in place. As some know, our shop is not huge. We don't have a ton of machine operators, however they are fantastic and have a lot of experience making flight jackets, even before I hired them over 10 years ago. They have also had in depth training from me and I inspect all jackets. As many know I am a stickler for the details so my crew gets no breaks. They probably hate it when I call but they always get it right with some coaching. The crew is great but is small and our production flow in the past was slow and inefficient. We have worked on this and have made improvements.

1. We have been able to streamline our production and we are now making groups of 10 jackets at a time.
2. We have decreased our production time to about 2 to 4 weeks after the run has started. We take time and care with each jacket and focus on quality. It's 10 jackets in an average three weeks, not 10 jackets in a day.
3. We are ordering more supplies and hides at a time to avoid supply shortfalls and delays.
4. When possible we are making additional jackets in the runs to sell as "IN STOCK READY TO SHIP". You can inquire at any time for info of what jackets will be available.

OUR FIRST EXTRA JACKET WILL BE A SIZE 42 A-1 IN CAPESKIN. They should be arriving the next week or the beginning of the following week.

There will be a some forum specials coming up. I am still formulating what they will be. Stay tuned for that. It should be something significant.

Southoftheborder

I wonder where is your production base? I remember asking you quite a few years ago now when I bought a 37J1 from your eBay shop but you were quite evasive. It came up a few times on here too at times without being answered. I assumed from the difficulty I had even back then getting responses to my messages and the time it took you to finally send it, as well as the various excuses for late delivery, that you had them made in very small batches in Pakistan or somewhere like that. Was I wrong?

B-Man2

I wonder where is your production base? I remember asking you quite a few years ago now when I bought a 37J1 from your eBay shop but you were quite evasive. It came up a few times on here too at times without being answered. I assumed from the difficulty I had even back then getting responses to my messages and the time it took you to finally send it, as well as the various excuses for late delivery, that you had them made in very small batches in Pakistan or somewhere like that. Was I wrong?
A fair question, considering past events.
If you’re asking someone to send you their hard earned cash, then transparency of one’s business practices and operations is a necessity in light of recent disclosures of
late deliveries and dissatisfied customers.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

The info has always been on the website. It is here.
All About Headwind

This info used to be on a page named "about us". Only the page name changed and some info about the order process was added. The info is the same. It has always been on the site.

We started out in the beginning with a crew in India. Some of you remember me talking about that at the time. A lot of you probably were not here on the forum then. Then due to some problems we switched to a crew in Pakistan. My crew is top notch and I am proud to have them working on the jackets.
If you want to know what customers think about the quality and materials, check out our testimonials page.
Testimonials

We started about 15 years ago. I have always done all of the design, QA and procurement of all the materials. It was tough going for a while when we started with our crew in India. They did not have much experience with flight jackets. I had to train them from the ground up. We made great strides over time but then their button hole machine broke, and they decided not to fix it. We tried a few ways around this but eventually had to find another crew.

I was lucky to find my crew in Pakistan. They had worked on many G-1's and A-2's in the past so they actually knew what I was talking about when explaining things. They worked with a few well known USA companies in the past. It made it a lot easier to make all the refinements necessary to make accurate reproduction jackets.

What sets us apart from others?
Details and materials. I insist on using period correct parts. This means going to the extra mile to find and use things like, 100% Worsted Wool knits, 100% cotton thread, blackened United Carr hardware, Cotton Zipper tapes (Not synthetic blend tapes), top quality reproduction and NOS zippers from Talon (USA) and Conmar, using the actual proper zipper for the reproduction instead of throwing a cheap triple marked talon with a polyester tape on everything, precise reproduction labels. The list goes on and on...
Our main goal has not changed since we started 15 years ago. Make excellent quality reproduction jackets equal to the top manufacturers, at a much lower price point. According to customer feedback, and our testimonials, we have achieved that in the eyes of many people.