• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg Co - The New A-1

Skyhawk

What is it about the Cockpit 37J1 that allows it to sell in the $300 range? Is it the ersatz Bedford cord? the acrylic knit? the nonrepro zipper? I don’t think the nylon camo liner, oversize pockets, or ultra low collar save any money in mfg.

And what allows Bronson to make a more faithful copy of this jacket and sell it even more cheaply? It can’t just be the lack of large sizes???

These are large businesses with big factories. They have the benefit of capital, credit lines, and a big labor force that allows them to make large amounts of product. They can afford to make product at a volume that results in a small per piece production cost.

Simple economics is how they do it.

We are a small company. We have a small team of leather crafters. We are set up differently and have to pay a lot of production costs to get the jackets made how we want them. I guaranty that our quality and authenticity is miles above these kind of products and that is part of what you get when you make jackets in this manner. Which is one or a few jackets at a time instead of 100.

I could settle to make reproductions that are just barely passable, or cut the quality way down and cut the price, but I don't want to make those types of products.

Regards,
Jay

B-Man2

Nice explanation . I agree that a quality repro is the way to go. If I’m going to get a repro I’d like it to be the most accurate one made.
Thank Jay

Last edited:

zoomer

I too would like accuracy but don’t care if it’s “the” most faithful ever done. If you knocked off a Buzz Rickson in US sizes you’d be doing fine by me. That said, if you can bring the price competitive, you’ll be doing the market a favor.

Lonewolf051

I concur, I also am of the belief of Quality over Quantity when it comes to garments such as vintage flight jackets. Its worth putting the extra effort and extra money in, and getting a much finer product at the end. I may not have many vintage repop jackets or accessories, but what I do have, are very good quality and I treasure them a lot. If reproducing the 37j1B to BR or LW standards and paying $500-$600, then It'd be worth a few weeks of saving in my opinion, you could benefit additionally since you offer custom sizing! plus I love supporting US companies, especially ones offering items as rare and authentic as Jay's jackets. Id really love a 37J1B with that vintage khaki with red/brown knits like in the picture I linked, simply fantastic contrast colors, and beautiful slick and sleek lines throughout the design, love the pockets too, and check out those tight shoulder seams, delish!. Simply a great and practical jacket design, casual and elegant, yet versatile and military.

as far as marketing and sales are concerned, what you offer Jay, are very rare and sought after jackets that only a few companies offer, most are Asian made, and most do not fit most western people very well. You offering rarities like you do, and having custom sizing as an option, plus free US shipping, really helps the western market heavily, and offering cloth or wool A-1s, and 37j1s as variation from the pure leather line you currently have, would just add to the popularity...spend a bit now to get them up and going, and benefit a lot from the popularity they'll bring from so many of us who would like top end repops of awesome-yet-extinct jackets, in sizes that actually fit us, it'd likely inspire other western companies to follow your lead and offer their own 37j1 or canvas/wool A-1s ect, ect. then we'd have a nice growing market competition, which is always healthy :)

Attachments

• 37J1B.jpg
    37J1B.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 213
  • front_view2.jpg
    front_view2.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited: