• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg Co - SAT A-2 Jacket

Skyhawk

Hi everyone, Headwind will be making the SAT A-2 after the Goldsmith project.

I wanted to put this up now in light of recent controversy of the timing of the Goldsmith reproduction.

I have in fact been planning a Goldsmith jacket for quite some time. I never had enough of the details to start building the jacket until recently. I have talked with Steve S. about this a long time ago. Also got some other opinions from another forum jacket maker.

The fact that I did not see the need to go public when I was planning this a year ago, does not mean that I was not planning to make the jacket.

My reasons for wanting to make a Goldsmith, it is very historically significant and I like to reproduce historically significant jackets. Just look at the HW site. Also it fits right in with the early aviation time period that fascinates me. In addition I have no A-2 jackets on the site.

Once I realized that the Goldsmith would be impossible to do without more details, I naturally moved on to the SAT jacket. Not as historically significant, but unique and made only a year later. Also it's an A-2. So I started working on the research for the SAT jacket around 6 months ago.

This project will be off in the near future as we have plenty of projects in the works at the moment, but I wanted to announce this now as it seems to be important to do so these days on the forum.

All The Best,
Jay

Last edited:

zoomer

This is a good move! GW stopped offering the Security, altho we were never sure why. There was sure a lot of talk about it but the impression I got was that his original was extra short thru the body, and he wanted his to be, too - which would have limited orders.
(Edit: John advises the SAT is still available! - z)

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Thanks! The few I have seen the dimensions on didn't look too much shorter than the average vintage A-2. Maybe 1/2" or so. Narrow chest though. Seems pretty average on the shoulder width and arm length. Maybe slightly longer in the arms than average.

We can always do custom sizing. If you add 1/2" length, no one would know the difference by looking at it, but you would appreciate not having to pull the jacket back down constantly as it rides up above your belt. You also have to consider the variance within a contract. There will always be a range of tolerance whether it is +/- 1/2" or 1". All government contracts should have allowable tolerances and jackets will fluctuate within that range.

Regards,
Jay

2BM2K

The SAT jacket has it's own place in history.

accident.jpg

Grant

That's cool someone else is offering an SAT A-2. I used to own one of the GW SAT's and it was a lovely jacket, but the throat hook construction wasn't correct for the SAT and I found the horsehide too thick for my liking, so sold it on. Look forward to seeing what Headwind comes up with!

zoomer

Thanks, but i can't find the pic anywhere else online.

Here's one dated 1931. Kelsey has just landed a P-12 at March Field. Looks like an SAT again, with the long body, and that bright dot by the zipper. If 1931, and if SAT, it would be the earliest dated photo of one. Source page

kelsey-p12-77ps-march-field-1931.png

Last edited:

2BM2K

It is the same jacket in both photo's. The 1931 photo is the earliest one of a SAT found so far.

The are more photo's of Kelsey as a test pilot, in some the faded squadron patch can be made out.