• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg Co - D-1 Mechanics Jacket

Skyhawk

Hello, I am excited to announce that we have found a source for some very nice Shearling and will be producing a D-1 jacket in the near future.

This will be a house version D-1 and will not be an exact reproduction of any one contract but will be as period correct in materials and pattern as we can make it. The label will be an exact reproduction of a black spec label with Headwind Mfg Co as the listed manufacturer.

In the future we may be producing more original contract shearlings when we get our hands on some originals to pattern from.

This project will be a bit down the road as we are still putting all of our resources into our pending orders, the Goldsmith A-2, and a few other reproductions we have in the works.

Best Regards,
Jay

Officer Dibley

Liking the sound of this. D-1 is a jacket i have long liked but never owned.
Personally i'm not hung up about individual contract variations so you are providing what i want - hopefully at a price i can afford......
Good luck. I'm watching with interest !

Clark J

Jay if you do this I have 2 suggestions that I think would make the jacket a bit better.I owned 2 Eastman D-1s both large the first I picked up second hand and was a stock redskin.It fit great but was just to short and I'm only 5'10".So a few years later when the new hide (finish) came out I ordered a "custom" jacket ,just had Gary make it so the the front zip length was 24 inches and that made it a great fitting jacket.The last thing would be to move the strap and the buckle on the collar closer to the zipper so you could actually sinch up and use it.

Skyhawk

Hey Clark, thanks for the insight on the D-1. I will consider your suggestions when making the design.

Does anyone know the average width of the pockets?

As far as the zip, it seems that mostly Conmar and Talon were used. Possibly #5's on the main zip? Looks to be #5's on the pockets for sure.

Obscurator

Jay if you do this I have 2 suggestions that I think would make the jacket a bit better.I owned 2 Eastman D-1s both large the first I picked up second hand and was a stock redskin.It fit great but was just to short and I'm only 5'10".So a few years later when the new hide (finish) came out I ordered a "custom" jacket ,just had Gary make it so the the front zip length was 24 inches and that made it a great fitting jacket.The last thing would be to move the strap and the buckle on the collar closer to the zipper so you could actually sinch up and use it.

+1 for placing the collar strap differently. The other thing I'd like in my next D-1 is less taper/ slightly more width to the bottom of the jacket. My current Eastman is a perfect fit, but if I ever wear a thin sweater, it grips at the bottom and rides up uncomfortably.It's also a bit of a problem when carrying a phone, keys, spectacles and so forth which bulk out that area and thus tighten it unduly.

Some indoor places I go to in the UK aren't that warm during the shearling-wearing seasons, but it's bad form to wear outdoor clothes in them; hence the need for a sweater.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Anyone know the average pocket width on the D-1? I wonder if the specs and drawings could be found....?

ties70

@Skyhawk

Jay,

I bet you have already tried everyspec.com ? I was able to find the specs for E-model G-1's, modern A-2's, L-2b's and Ma-1's....no USAAF stuff, though.
Those specs seem to be hidden elsewhere.

Best regards,

Ties

Obscurator

Anyone know the average pocket width on the D-1? I wonder if the specs and drawings could be found....?
Looking at the photos I have in various books, and trying to scale them, around 6 inches seems to be about the usual. Any less, and it would be difficult for a lot of people to get their hands in.

I believe Spiewak made D-1's, and they are, I think, still going, but in other uniform equipment. I wonder if it's worth asking them?

Skyhawk

Looking at the photos I have in various books, and trying to scale them, around 6 inches seems to be about the usual. Any less, and it would be difficult for a lot of people to get their hands in.

I believe Spiewak made D-1's, and they are, I think, still going, but in other uniform equipment. I wonder if it's worth asking them?

Thanks for that! I was able to get the measurements from another well known manufacturer that makes them. I am putting in a supply order this weekend for the correct Talon Zips and the period correct nickel buckles. This is going to be a fun project!

Obscurator

Thanks for that! I was able to get the measurements from another well known manufacturer that makes them. I am putting in a supply order this weekend for the correct Talon Zips and the period correct nickel buckles. This is going to be a fun project!
That's good. I'm very interested in this, as I'm planning on getting another D-1.

The only snag is that it will be pointless before Christmas, and for a short (I hope) time thereafter, in order to make allowance for the added inches, or fractions thereof, and avoirdupois which inevitably result from the customary Yuletide excesses.

stanier

Did Eastman do a redskin D-1 at some point? I’d like to see pics of one if anyone has one. Gotta to say I love my Eastman D-1.

Clark J

They must have because I had one .The guy at Eastman said they had , think his name was Rob ? It was a beauty just to short.