• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg A-1 - Fit Pics

bseal

Looking good. Question regarding the leather hanger, there are no stitch holes in the back?

Skyhawk

Thanks! Yes you are correct. The Test jacket showed up with no stitching through the leather on the hanger. I am working with the factory to add this detail. It's really not structurally necessary with the stitching in such close proximity along the neck line. The hanger is solid and totally functional. After all a lot of the USN G-1 aren't stitched through and it is a much heavier jacket.

Skyhawk

bseal said:
Can you provide darker russet knits as well?

For example:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US
Yes I can get 4 shades of brown in the wool knits. All the photos of the originals I have seen, as well as the Eastman G&F, and the Goodwear A-1s have the Med brown knits. Not the darker ones on that jacket.

Wow $3000 new! You could get 6 of my jackets for that. Or just get 1 and buy a used motorcycle with the leftovers.

Skyhawk

Thanks for the link. I had seen that topic before, there certainly is a large variety of styles of A-1s.

My A-1 is a reproduction of the Gordon & Ferguson 31-800P contract. The medium brown knits match the original perfectly. I have other colors of knits available if desired.

Persimmon

zhz44 said:
Compare A1 made by other makers, I think the pockets looks a bit large on your model?

Do you mean in terms of height ?
If you look at the Eastman A1 repro for sale on their website the pockets height reach to a line approx level with the top height of the second lowest button above the waistband.

If you look at the Headwind A1 shown the top of the pockets flaps are above the second bottom button.

I guess it is all about intrepretation.
In Gary Eastman's book (Type 2 Flight Jackets...) detailed on the section on A1 jackets on page 115 it shows a picture of an original A1 where the top of the pockets are above the second bottom button.
Yet the Eastman Leather choice of making a repro is different to his original shown in the book.

On page 119 there is a second picture of an original A1 this time being worn by a pilot (with parachute on top) where again the height / top of the pocket flaps is again above the second lowest button.

(NB There are no poppers on this jacket but instead their are two additional buttons on the waistband - so I am not counting these in the above statement.

a2jacketpatches

Compared to the originals, Headwind looks pretty good. Not sure if a repro should be based on a repro no matter what you're making, every generation will lose a bit of accuracy if you do.

ButteMT61

Jacket looks nice. It actually looks like it would be what one looked like way back...it's funny how we treasure these nice and expensive repops here with the craziest nice leathers, etc., but I get the feeling they were more like this one. Just my "I don't know sh*t" 2¢ ;)

Skyhawk

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the comments and feedback! It's nice to hear the opinions about the jacket from such a well informed crowd.

The pockets were designed specifically for this jacket. I not only used the photos of the original G&F contract jacket, I also took into account measurements taken from high end Reproduction A-1 pockets.

I am happy with the results and I think they are a good match for that particular A-1 contract.

CBI

AHHHHH, just when you think how great all of the positive comments are!!!!

Looking good

Skyhawk

CBI said:

Looking good

HA HA HA!!
Thanks!

Brian, no the neckline is just fine. The jacket buttons up all the way into a nice fitted turtle neck if desired, just like the original. This jacket is slightly big on me so that explains the slight loose fit.

Regards,
Jay

saucerfiend

Skyhawk said:
CBI said:

Looking good

HA HA HA!!
Thanks!

Brian, no the neckline is just fine. The jacket buttons up all the way into a nice fitted turtle neck if desired, just like the original. This jacket is slightly big on me so that explains the slight loose fit.

Regards,
Jay

That explains it! Thanks, Jay.

Brian