• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

headwear to wear with yer flight-jacket ...

Thomas Koehle

Gents,

well my first full winter in Europe is shortly ahead and i`m considering what kinda headwear would be a good / stylish completion for my flight jackets ...

I especially always liked that "Humphrey Bogart" style with wearing Fedoras aso

I already own several watch-caps but looking for additional stuff so please share whatelse you guys wear when on the road with your jackets

Saludos

Thomas

Greg Gale

Watch caps, A-3 cap, and I also have a Newsboy cap from Gorin Bros that I bought in Charleston SC: https://www.goorin.com/

I also had a cap from the Hat People, it was really nice, but I ordered one that was too baggy for my liking. Should have gone for a different style.

917_k

You can't go wrong with an A-3 (although my girlfriend hates mine) or watchcap. Although for my Eastman A2 and couple of G-1's I'm partial to a fedora, and just picked up a real nice Stetson when I was in San Fran a few months ago in a grey/green color, which looks great paired with a rich brown leather.

Stony

I have an A-3 cap I bought at a military show about 25 years ago. It's faded and has fish blood on it from some of my fishing adventures, I've worn it playing softball and playing golf. It would be extremely hard to part with because of those memories.

Other headgear I wear with my flight jackets are a modern fleece stocking cap, vintage baseball cap, my umpire cap and some golf caps.

Boyo

I'm partial to caps made by Freewheelers ( a bit pricey but the execution and construction is flawless)

upload_2018-11-8_14-18-40.jpeg

upload_2018-11-8_14-19-14.jpeg

These can be found on Rakuten for about $90

Officer Dibley

The fedora in my avatar, several different Failsworth tweed and linen panel caps, an ATF jeep cap and a beaten up A&F baseball cap.
Not all at the same time though :D

Cocker

Same as the folks above, a newsboy cap (Mister Miller does some great ones for a neat price), A-3 (got one from QMI and a denim one from Bronson is on its way) or a watchcap.

Thomas Koehle

does anyone have a source for Fedoras?

like I already said I admire the look of Humphrey B. in that old movies

Boyo

I would think it would be "risky" to buy a hat like that without trying it on first, is it possible to take trip to visit your local hat store. ( I'm sure they will appreciate the business).
Once you have an idea of what you like and size there are always a few for sale in the Fedora Lounge classifieds

B-Man2

Thomas
How about an Indiana Jones fedora?
It’s been a favorite for a while so maybe not an original look but I bet you would still look good in one;)

ties70

Thomas,

when you are back in Germany next time, go to your local hat / hatmaker shop and try something on.
A hat is nothing I would buy over the internet, unless you know pretty much what you want and how that actually fits. I always wanted a proper Fedora, testing one in the shop made me look a retired German "Oberförster"... I was pretty happy that I did not order it over the net.

Now, I personally have worn my flight jacket with the A-3 mechanics cap from ELC, the USAF 50s Field Cap from Mash, 8-panel newsboy caps...and so on. Plus the assortment of watch caps from BR, Pike, Bronson...

My favourite, though, is my Stetson Irving hat. Regarding the brim width it is a mixture between a Fedora and a Trilby.
Another hat in the same category would be Bailey's of Hollywood's CHIPIE.

In contrast to Officer Dibley, I like my hats' brim turned upwards, more like the hobo / folk singer look, and less Bogart-ish.

Best regards,

Ties

Thomas Koehle

Thomas,

when you are back in Germany next time, go to your local hat / hatmaker shop and try something on.
A hat is nothing I would buy over the internet, unless you know pretty much what you want and how that actually fits. I always wanted a proper Fedora, testing one in the shop made me look a retired German "Oberförster"... I was pretty happy that I did not order it over the net.

Now, I personally have worn my flight jacket with the A-3 mechanics cap from ELC, the USAF 50s Field Cap from Mash, 8-panel newsboy caps...and so on. Plus the assortment of watch caps from BR, Pike, Bronson...

My favourite, though, is my Stetson Irving hat. Regarding the brim width it is a mixture between a Fedora and a Trilby.
Another hat in the same category would be Bailey's of Hollywood's CHIPIE.

In contrast to Officer Dibley, I like my hats' brim turned upwards, more like the hobo / folk singer look, and less Bogart-ish.

Best regards,

Ties

THX Ties for the advice!

Maybe will be better to wait until I have to opportunity to get to a hat-shop to try something on "in the flesh"