• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBT UTILITY TROUSERS

Grant

Anyone else wear HBT (Herringbone Twill) trousers with their jackets? I find em super comfortable for warmer weather, but get odd looks every now and then with the high rise and wide cut legs. This pair is WWII USMC Second Pattern HBT's.

HBTF.jpg
HBT2.jpg
HBT3.jpg
HBT4.jpg

Dany McDonald

They look pretty good overall and on you. Love the cut and twill. I also get the odd look when wearing my Buzz chinos as the fashion is pretty taper or skinny. Personally, and this is not a comment about, just a choice, I don't wear military pants with my military jackets. It feel too dressed up and I prefer jeans but those HBT are really nice...hum... ATF has a sale on their first pattern...

Dany

Cocker

I wear my ATF P41 HBTs a LOT. There's no pants more comfortable than those when the eather is on the hot side. Never noticed any odd looks, but I guess people around me are more than used of me wearing high rise/40s/50s cut trousers.

B-Man2

An original pair of USMC utilities, that’s pretty cool. I remember as a kid back in the 1950s stuff like that was every where and most real Army and Navy Surplus Stores ( not like the ones today) had piles of WWII clothing all over the place for a couple of bucks
Today those are tough to find.
They look great.

Grant

Hey Dany,
I know I'm a geek, but the ATF 1st pattern HBT is Army, not USMC. Reproducing WWII USMC HBT accurately is difficult; so far Buzz Rickson, WWII Impressions and RRL come the closest, IMHO.

Last edited:

Grant

Your right Burt. Ever since the HBO series The Pacific aired, WWII USMC stuff went through the roof, if you can even find HBT's in larger sizes.

jack31916

I think the USMC HBT in combination with the boondockers are very stylish. ATF and WWiiimpressions doesn't sell USMC HBT anymore. Read somewhere that they got problems with the USMC due to reproducing the eagle, globe and anchor... SM Wholesale does carry the M-1941 Utillities in their assortment.

Good reading on repro clothing from different makers / dealers on this page: https://m1pencil.wordpress.com/category/reenactment/page/1/

Dany McDonald

Hey Dany,
I know I'm a geek, but the ATF 1st pattern HBT is Army, not USMC. Reproducing WWII USMC HBT accurately is difficult; so far Buzz Rickson, WWII Impressions and RRL come the closest, IMHO.

Grant,

Thank you for this piece of info, as you have spark my interest on those pants. Now I want a pair.

Will check rakuten for Buzz.

Dany

Officer Dibley

Posted similar post last year

They remain favourite trousers to wear. Bought a second pair.

ausreenactor

When I got back into the Army I had a pair of Harlan Glenn's TTO HBTs that I wore EVERYWHERE! Comfortable and classy. My WWII Impressions HBT trousers are at home in Mildura. It is WWII khaki trousers these days...

Grant

The HTB material was a green color that didn't have the unique green/gray cast USMC HBT's have. Granted, I'm a nerd about getting the details most could care less about. Also when washed,the SM HBT became fuzzy, once again, not anything like original fabric. BTW, I'm comparing them to several pairs of original USMC HBT I own. It's uncanny how the close the old WWII Imp USMC and USN HBT comes to originals - hopefully Juan will produce it again.

jack31916

Thanks for the explanation. You're absolutely right about the "little" details like color, weave, materials, stitching, pattern etc. I have a pair of P44 trousers from WWII Imp and they are far to green in combination with my original P41 and P44 jackets. Don't like 'em. What's left? Harlan Glenn is out of business, ATF and WWII Imp are out of stock and SMW are no good... Bronson? Buzz?