• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBT Name tape on MA-1? Correct??

ausreenactor

Gents...

Picked up a BR MA-1 a month or two back..now mid 50's onwards jacket?? Is the
Vietnam style 'black ink stamped on white HBT name tape' correct over the left pocket at all?
Missile crisis?? Vietnam?? Any ideas??

Regards...

Couchy

Atticus

Hi Couchy,

If Danny is still on this board, he is the one to ask. But I'll hazzard an opinion.

I think there was much variation in the styles of namestrips used on Air Force jackets in the late fifties and sixties. Here are some photos that perhaps illustrate my point.

From the late fifties:

af-1-1.jpg

From the mid-sixties: (BTW, the officer in the center is John Denver's father.)

05big.jpg

From the late sixties: (I think this photo is from 1968, but notice the jacket worn by the Lt. at the bottom second form the right.)

Fighter20Pilot20School20Class-1.jpg

So, yes, I think your jacket is correctly patched.

AF

watchmanjimg

Hey Couchy!

The type of nametape you describe was used in the '50s and '60s and therefore could be correct, especially for the early Vietnam period. I have original examples of flight gear with this style nametape. Now if I could only find a source for the wide white tape . . .

tamoko

I have 2 early black label K-2B suits and one gray lined L-2B with "black ink stamped on white HBT name tape"
HBT name tag correct for this time.

Weasel_Loader

Ya'll beat me to it. The Air Force never standardized in this department till early 70s. It appears that up until this point, it was usually up to the wing/base commander to designate which style to wear. While browsing vintage photos, you'll find that most within the same unit wear the same style name tag and patch positioning. A few odd balls hear and there, and that is most likely the new guy in the squadron who hasn't yet conformed to his current squadrons patching policies.

I always say the best way to make an authentic jacket is to find a vintage photo of your jacket and patch it just like it is in the photo. ;)

ausreenactor

Gents..

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and the info. I have managed to get the tape on there. A bit
of a struggle to get it all under the arm of the sewing machine. I thought Class A's were a tough item to deal with! Just to maintain the front and the back without creases was tricky. But the result is awesome. Have a 422nd Test and Evaluation patch on the way. The patch design is the same as teh 422nd NFS of WWII. The Bat with the bottle and dagger. Seller ended up sending it off for FREE. The eBay seller allowed the bid because I was serving with the US forces. When he found out more he refunded the purchase price, and threw in an extra patch. All because some Aussie diggers treated him well in SE Asia in the 60's. He said this was the US's war, like Vietnam, and the support was much appreciated. This sentiment has been relayed on more than one occasion by US sellers. They sent cookies, candy corn(new to me) and many more "thank you" cards.. Very humbling. Just doing our job.

Anyway...thanks again... Will put a new post up when the L-2A arrives. Have a pair of USAF WO4 rank. Deemed obsolete by 1958 according to Wikipedia. Think I could manage getting them on neatly..Just have to pic a good Korean war patch. 18th Fighter Bomber is the standout at present..

Regards..

Couchy

ausreenactor

Okay!

Work in progress, has hit a stall. The 422nd TEST and EVAL SQN was not reactivated until the 70's.. here is the way it looks right now..

DSC02471.jpg

Any tips on shoulder rank? Any input on possible squadrons. Early Vietnam F-100D Super Sabres?? Have a Super Sabre patch on the way...for the right sleeve..Happy to cover left sleeve decal, and that just leaves the chest for the larger patch.. Found the Sage wing on eBay cheaply..will 'teabag' it to age it somewhat...need to dull the white cotton on the name tape also..

Just did it...Not as golden as it appears in the pic. Matches the HBT tape and now the stitching is also 'period' correct.

DSC02473.jpg

As always, input appreciated and heeded...

Couchy