• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Anyone Used Original WWII Boot Impregnate To Dub Boots?

B-Man2

Has anyone used original issued WWII boot dubbing on their rough out repro boots.
If so what are the pros and cons of using it and is it safe to use those chemicals by today’s health standards?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

jack31916

I did use the dubbing impregnite from the bigger grey can. It was sticky and faul smelling. Didn't like the smell and I prefer to use sno-seal now.

For what it's worth :rolleyes:

B-Man2

Jack
Thanks for that . That’s what I was wondering about, not to mention all of the chemicals used back then, that are today considered carcinogens .,

ausreenactor

Original stuff doesn't pop up down here I used Kiwi 'Dubbin' on my ATF early pattern Roughouts. At US$300 the new ones are staying as received. I notice the toes on the majority of Roughouts I see tend to get 'shiny'. Not sure if treating them will reduce the potential for that to happen..

B-Man2

Agreed ... the problem with keeping them as they are is that in a rain they become like sponges soaking up everything that lands on them from water to dirt and mud. Then they don’t hold up so well. Have you had that problem with them in the past?

ausreenactor

I have only worn the ones I bought in Afghanistan once. I have the scungys which are just for 'dress ups;'. I have RM Williams stuff, a pair of WWII Impressions USMC service shoe/boot. I would probably go to a spray on treatment for consistent application.

jack31916

Agreed ... the problem with keeping them as they are is that in a rain they become like sponges soaking up everything that lands on them from water to dirt and mud. Then they don’t hold up so well. Have you had that problem with them in the past?
I have a pair of At the Front boondockers and didn't treat them. The boots will get soaked but only in heavy rain for a longer period. For normal daily use they do fine and don't need any treatment IMO.

foster

I used to use original WWII leather impregnite grease. Over time, it built up a waxy coating on the roughout leather. This buildup was most obvious on the flexed area on the top of the boot between the laces and the toe. Eventually, it became problematic as the grease no longer gave waterproofing in that area.

Now I use Huberd's exclusively. Naturally derived ingredients and I have not seen any problems from repeated use and application.