• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Chap Another Irvin

Chris 55

I was lucky enough to win this in auction today it was a steal.
1940 wired Irvin jacket it has seen better days but main zip is there and sleeve zip's.
I do have a bit of work to do as you can see from the pictures.

55268bfa-a3da-4a04-9fff-ad3200e4bcf2.jpg
10ef517b-28db-40e1-9b82-ad3200da9c89.jpg
1b3a74f1-a4b4-4d06-9452-ad3200e1f75f.jpg
820b1308-a04f-4005-a1d7-ad3200e07c1b.jpg
f3075a3e-9cfd-473a-9c8f-ad3200df9233.jpg
55268bfa-a3da-4a04-9fff-ad3200e4bcf2.jpg
10ef517b-28db-40e1-9b82-ad3200da9c89.jpg
1b3a74f1-a4b4-4d06-9452-ad3200e1f75f.jpg
820b1308-a04f-4005-a1d7-ad3200e07c1b.jpg
f3075a3e-9cfd-473a-9c8f-ad3200df9233.jpg

Smithy

Lots of sewing work there!

Doesn't look to have from here but doublecheck when you get it for rot - that's the thing that with change any plans for a project and turn it into a different job.

Working at the national aviation museum here rot was the biggest enemy of leather flying kit/clothing we had and it's presence would necessitate lots of TLC with Klucel G and humidity control measures.

You want to turn this thread into a progress one as it would be great to watch you work on it.

Chris 55

I'm sort of expecting the worsted in a way but for what I paid there is still value in the zip's.
Like most things on the internet it's hard to judge condition.
Hopefully it will be wearable after repair on the odd occasion.
I will probably have to put a section in so the back will probably look more like a four panel.

Smithy

I'm sort of expecting the worsted in a way but for what I paid there is still value in the zip's.
I will probably have to put a section in so the back will probably look more like a four panel.

If there's no presence of rot and the sheepskin hasn't degraded and is still sound, you should be able to get it back to wearable condition, although it'll never look like new but then again you wouldn't want it to. Really depends upon your competence at sewing.

If there is no rot or trouble with the integrity of the fleece/leather and the damage is just rips and you feel it is beyond your capabilities, you could clean it up yourself and then get someone like Aero (you're in the UK so shipping is friendlier pricewise) to do the repairs. That route obviously wouldn't probably be especially cheap though.

Chris 55

If there's no presence of rot and the sheepskin hasn't degraded and is still sound, you should be able to get it back to wearable condition, although it'll never look like new but then again you wouldn't want it to. Really depends upon your competence at sewing.

If there is no rot or trouble with the integrity of the fleece/leather and the damage is just rips and you feel it is beyond your capabilities, you could clean it up yourself and then get someone like Aero (you're in the UK so shipping is friendlier pricewise) to do the repairs. That route obviously wouldn't probably be especially cheap though.

The fur sewing machine is my friend
I have a couple of vintage sewing machines just for the job.

IMG_20200924_203146.jpg

Chris 55

You're sorted then! And you'll save yourself bags of cash.

Just be careful what you clean it with. She's an old girl and deserves a little fuss and TLC. You wouldn't use a wire brush and Dettol on your granny and that jacket is the same ;)

That's one thing I have been wondering.
I tend to use Pecards or Renapur but tend to think these jackets need more of liquid treatment so it soaks in more.
Interested to know anyone's thoughts on this.

Smithy

I tend to use Pecards or Renapur but tend to think these jackets need more of liquid treatment so it soaks in more.

For cleaning at the museum the usual stuff for leather was...

https://www.preservationequipment.c...cts/Cleaning-Agents/Leather-Cleaner-P993-0400

If there was oil then this...

https://www.preservationequipment.c...s/Cleaning-Agents/Leather-Detergent-P993-0300

For dressing and treatment it was a chemically neutral solution. Although if you have no rot or degradation problems you won't need a museum grade solution. Pecards and suchlike I imagine will be fine.

Chris 55

For cleaning at the museum the usual stuff for leather was...

https://www.preservationequipment.c...cts/Cleaning-Agents/Leather-Cleaner-P993-0400

If there was oil then this...

https://www.preservationequipment.c...s/Cleaning-Agents/Leather-Detergent-P993-0300

For dressing and treatment it was a chemically neutral solution. Although if you have no rot or degradation problems you won't need a museum grade solution. Pecards and suchlike I imagine will be fine.

Thanks for that Smithy.

Spitfireace

I was going to say yes, you could make it into a four panel back replacing the upper parts. Going to be lots of work though.

Spitfireace

I tend to like a lanolin based treatment as sheepskin naturally has lanolin. I have used a paste lanolin based product rather than a liquid.

Spitfireace

That being said be very sparing in application. Too much can ruin a jacket. If it gets soaked in the stuff it will wreck the jacket. You can't go back once that happens.