• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy 80th Birtday To My M-422

Maverickson

Hi All,

Tomorrow marks my my Size 38 Switlik M-422 jacket's birthday and I wanted to share this occasion with the forum.

The grand daddy of all USN jackets made to date. Something I believe well worth while celebrating. Not not many can say that they know the birth date of their vintage jacket. Especially one that is among the most unique and rarely seen USN jackets ever made and combat worn to boot.

Switlik Size 38.jpg

Among some of the other items found in the jacket's pocket was the jacket's missing left button.

Swtilk Size 38 Half Opened.jpg

Sitlik Size 38 Reverse View.jpg

No doubt part of the USN order for 247 Switlik jackets that I found were delivered to NAS Pensacola during the first quarter of 1941. However, it was not issued until July 2, 1941 to a graduating member Ensign P. E. Pirtle USNR. As per the original owners receipt that was received with the jacket.

P. E. P_edited-1.jpg

During the jacket's early years had to have been this jackets most exciting period. It spent the first two years of WW-2 at NAS Pensacola when it's owner (Edelle to his friends) taught flight school. Then from 1943 until 1945 as an active participant in two combat tours with VPB-135 flying the PV-1 Ventura. Both done in Alaska flying the Empire Express. Regularly flying 1,500 mile round trip combat missions between the Japanese Kurile Islands and Attu. Ultimately, It's owner received the DFC for his efforts.

Percy's VB-135 & Flkeet Air Wing 4 Combat Missions.jpg

Considering the jacket's current condition tells me that the jacket was given little or no wear time post War. The jacket remains all original. With the exception of having a squadron and I D patch attached, it has never been altered or modified. More than likely neatly stored away with a few mementos left in the jacket's pockets. All from it's war time experiences for the next 75 years in Wyoming.

In April of 2000 with the passing of the jacket's original owner the winged leather ID tag was removed. It now resides with Edelle. Thereafter the M-422 remained in storage for the next 20 years in a family member's care.

Currently, kept by me here in VA. Bch., VA as the jacket's new custodian. During my tenure only to be used from time to time as a reference for my reproduction jackets.

The jacket is destined out last me.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

bazelot

that's a swit jacket (did you see what i did there :))
Beautiful all around and with a ton of history to boot. Happy birthday

tda003

Congratulations on your M-422 and its owner's history. I truly enjoy finding out the history of these things. It gives me a sense of "knowing" the owner(s).

As I posted in my M-422A thread, my marine officer had a very short history. Called up for duty in September 1943. Graduated from flight school in Texas on Christmas eve 1943. Went to gunnery school in Florida in January 1944. Home on leave afterwards. Became engaged. Responded for duty at MAS El Toro, California about March 1, 1944. Died as s result of injuries sustained in a crash on March 21, 1944. Short story of another young man who died before he lived. Sadly, I knew may others.

MaydayWei

Took a little break from VLJ.
But I hope Mr. Switlik had a wonderful birthday.
Thanks for taking care of these wonderful pieces for us.

B-Man2

how come a jacket of this rarity doesn't attract more attention on the forum? It looks like most people on here are more interested in cheap repros than originals with loads of history. That's unfortunate...
I have to agree with you baze, we seemed to have lost a lot of the vintage postings we had a few years back. I’m hoping that things will swing back in the other direction after a bit , but I’m not sure it will happen.

tda003

I actually prefer vintage. I also generally like the look of military style jackets and like to wear them. There's the quandary. The thought of owning an original Irvin or B-3 or any original sheep skin or just about any 77+ jacket around town and country seems to be asking for its destruction. Thus repros. However, I yield to 2021. There, pockets on a repro where none existed on originals don't upset me and I'm generally amenable to having them since I don't do re-enacting. But that's just me. Exception would be an A-1 repro.

Maverickson

Hi All.

With regards to the statement " finding out the history of these things. It gives me a sense of "knowing" the owner(s)."

Yes, with a little research it is surprising what you can find on these IDed jackets and their original owners. To that end, I thought that I might add one of the handful of post action report that I found. Most notably with regards to my same Switlik M-422's & its original original owner Lt. Pirtle. In this case on a bombing mission to the Northern Kurile Islands.
Pirtle Combat Report August 1944.jpg

Directly below is a pic that was taken in May of 1944 from same VB-135 squadron and A/C flown by the original owner of my Switlik M-422. In addition, the photo's caption indicated that the PV-1 Ventura crew's was readying for thier first combat mission to be flown from Attu to the Northern Kurile Islands. Also known as an Empire Express mission.

VB-135 Ventura And Crew.jpg

Note, that each of the crew members are seen were wearing a M-422 type flight jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: