• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hans-Joachim Marseille jacket

Rory Schultz

The HJM Jacket is made by Hilbert 4 straight flapped pocketed Double Breasted, but he removed the second row of buttons to make it look closer to the Panzer wrap.
I saw one early photo of him in it before the row of buttons were removed. Then it has the belted sleeves.
Gelmock makes one also but does not have the belted sleeves.

There are several variations of this made by Hilbert that are exactly the same except the other variation of which I own has the lateral lower pockets.

Rory Schultz

I have a question that I would like to ask, I know this is the wrong section but it will take me too long to find where to ask it.

It is about a Schott Brothers jacket on Etsy. I would like someone to tell if this is really military because I thought the WW2 ones did not have hand pockets behind the front pockets. here is the link https://www.etsy.com/listing/1094149668/ww2-schott-brothers-a2-m-bomber-jacket? The lady says it is WW2 Military used. I thought it was more of a 1960's retro Bomber style motorcycle jacket.....so I do not know since it is not my area of knowledge.

Are we still having photo loading issues?

Kermit3D

The HJM Jacket is made by Hilbert 4 straight flapped pocketed Double Breasted, but he removed the second row of buttons to make it look closer to the Panzer wrap.
I saw one early photo of him in it before the row of buttons were removed. Then it has the belted sleeves.
Gelmock makes one also but does not have the belted sleeves.

There are several variations of this made by Hilbert that are exactly the same except the other variation of which I own has the lateral lower pockets.

That's great, thanks! Valuable information.
It reminds me how little I know... but I'm learning. :)

Rory Schultz if you have a picture of your jacket handy, I'm curious to see it.

There is one of those Hilbert brand jackets for sale here (which is very different from the Marseille jacket though) :

s-l1600.jpg
s-l16002.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

Btw, so that you may or may not notice on HJM 's jacket is that his is buttoned up only 4 buttons leaving the upper open which gives the impression it has wide collar and lapel. He is doing it more open because his is about 1 to 2 sizes too small.

What I love about my Gelmock jacket is that you can button it from either side. It has another set of button holes so you can button up from the left side or right side. This jacket is what was worn by some of the Tankers during the Spanish Civil War. I have 3 photos of different tankers with this exact model jacket.

0b35809baa5d5b7686a3437c768fc991.jpg

flyincowboy

AGREE et tres bonne idée you can search the right buttons scrounge onthe web ETSY... they got some nice vintage New old stock ... For the right leather i will go for the steerhide definitely a nice leather with a thickness of 1mm2 .. and don't worry for the fit Shawn will help you.

Kermit3D

Btw, so that you may or may not notice on HJM 's jacket is that his is buttoned up only 4 buttons leaving the upper open which gives the impression it has wide collar and lapel. He is doing it more open because his is about 1 to 2 sizes too small.

What I love about my Gelmock jacket is that you can button it from either side. It has another set of button holes so you can button up from the left side or right side. This jacket is what was worn by some of the Tankers during the Spanish Civil War. I have 3 photos of different tankers with this exact model jacket.

View attachment 80289
Thanks Rory for all this information, I really appreciate it.
The two jackets you show us are great.

As Brice says, it looks even shorter than the cycling jackets... and that's a problem for me being tall.
If I choose to have a reproduction made, then I will have to compromise.

STEVE S.

Steve Sellers makes this jacket. And it's probably the most beautiful reproduction I know of. A short jacket, as it should be, but some details are different : shape, number and location of pockets, double row of buttons (there is only one row on the original), addition of a zip,...
It's still a nice jacket in the spirit of the period, but I'm looking for something more accurate. But I'd love to hear more from @STEVE S. 's jacket ;)
Here are some pictures of this jacket, which in my opinion, deserves to be highlighted :

photo%201%203_1.jpg
photo%201%208_3.jpg

The Fivestar option is quite possible and it could be a great project !

The first couple of those I made were for the same customer and he made the changes as far as the pockets etc to suit his personal taste. Anything can be changed around to be as accurate or custom as needed, I’ve always been pretty flexible with all of that.

I’ll also add, as a note for reference, the original jacket was manufactured with 2 rows of buttons. If you look close in the first pic, you can see where they were located then clearly removed.
1CE11EF4-FE2A-4B11-9983-AA2AFC56D5C2.jpeg

Here’s one I made identical in details as the first two, in a huge size 48.

06D34AB3-4DA5-42F9-B748-00DE6F7D0500.png

Last edited:

Kermit3D

I’ll also add, as a note for reference, the original jacket was manufactured with 2 rows of buttons. If you look close in the first pic, you can see where they were located then clearly removed.
Yes you are right the buttons have been removed on Marseille's jacket. When you look at the picture in detail, it is obvious.

Here’s one I made identical in details as the first two, in a huge size 48.
This jacket looks great Steve.
I would love to see a fit pic of this jacket in size 42... I actually have a hard time figuring out how it would look on me.
It's an atypical jacket that is probably not easy to wear (just like a cyclist jacket with the real vintage cut). But with a little luck, it can be great !

It's nice to know that you are open to some customization.

Last edited:

STEVE S.

Yes you are right the buttons have been removed on Marseille's jacket. When you look at the picture in detail, it is obvious.

This jacket looks great Steve.
I would love to see a fit pic of this jacket in size 42... I actually have a hard time figuring out how it would look on me.
It's an atypical jacket that is probably not easy to wear (just like a cyclist jacket with the real vintage cut). But with a little luck, it can be great !

It's nice to know that you are open to some customization.
I don’t have any fit pics at all on that one that I can get to. My desktop has sat idle for 4 yrs waiting on decent internet here to power it, & photobucket is holding my things stored there hostage wanting me to buy service.:rolleyes:

here are a couple other civvy jackets in that style made for Victor here on the site. Might shoot him a note for some follow up info.

it wouldn’t be hard to modify the details to suit as all of the pockets could be changed/moved/eliminated. As far as fit goes, I can modify any of the patterns to fit. I’m not a “must stick to the original measurements/pattern” type of guy. I want it to fit you.

First two are identical except for color. The buttons/flaps start out straight, then curve in an arc the higher up you go. Vic made drawings of the details and sent a similar jacket that fit well to make the basic pattern from. The third jacket is a center zip, but same general style. You can even see the handsome gent it was made for modeling it for us!
04E0BA2A-E9FE-4A8A-BA98-AB1487F89D1C.png
A8B1A8B0-1057-4699-AF78-98F345A66902.png
FDAACB7E-A023-4523-AB46-070B2D80CFB6.png
A0498DE6-AC8F-4603-A893-700A756AFD4C.png

Kermit3D

I don’t have any fit pics at all on that one that I can get to. My desktop has sat idle for 4 yrs waiting on decent internet here to power it, & photobucket is holding my things stored there hostage wanting me to buy service.:rolleyes:

here are a couple other civvy jackets in that style made for Victor here on the site. Might shoot him a note for some follow up info.

it wouldn’t be hard to modify the details to suit as all of the pockets could be changed/moved/eliminated. As far as fit goes, I can modify any of the patterns to fit. I’m not a “must stick to the original measurements/pattern” type of guy. I want it to fit you.

First two are identical except for color. The buttons/flaps start out straight, then curve in an arc the higher up you go. Vic made drawings of the details and sent a similar jacket that fit well to make the basic pattern from. The third jacket is a center zip, but same general style. You can even see the handsome gent it was made for modeling it for us!
View attachment 80651View attachment 80653View attachment 80654View attachment 80652

Thanks for your feedback Steve.
On these last pictures, we're a bit far from what I'm looking for... but it's still a nice jacket and I don't doubt that with some modifications, we can get a jacket close to the one Hans-Joachim Marseille wore

B-Man2

Thread contaminated
I’ve deleted my posts so as not to offend you. But just as an aside, the guy has posted the same Spam post in at least 3 different threads. Doesn’t that seem a bit annoying to you, when his post is simply a self serving post that only is there as a free marketing tool from a guy who will never contribute anything, and simply joined the forum for its free advertising? Not trying to get into a pissing match with you , just asking for your opinion .
Cheers

Enigma1938

I’ve deleted my posts so as not to offend you. But just as an aside, the guy has posted the same Spam post in at least 3 different threads. Doesn’t that seem a bit annoying to you, when his post is simply a self serving post that only is there as a free marketing tool from a guy who will never contribute anything, and simply joined the forum for its free advertising? Not trying to get into a pissing match with you , just asking for your opinion .
Cheers
Burt, you could never offend me, you're the finest guy I know in this forum !
I was just trying to say that this thread is now contaminated with spam too, it wasn't meant towards you.