• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanover Street

Atticus

I was at the Harris Teeder buying groceries the other day and saw Hanover Street for sale on the cheap-o movie rack. It had Harrison Ford on the cover wearing something that sorta looked like an A-2, so I bought it.

The movie sucked out loud.

Harrison Ford is an 8th Air Force B-25 pilot in the ETO in 1943. Yes, Mildred, you heard right. He flew B-25s in the ETO. Anyhow, he falls in love with an English MILF played by Leslie Ann Down when they are thrown together while seeking shelter from a German air raid on London. Yes, they fell hopelessly in love during one of the many 1943 German bombing raids of old London. As the story unfolds, Ford has to rescue her old man's cuckold ass from Nazi-held Germany and he is almost shot dead in the process. Note to self: Do not mess with married women in a time when it could be in the normal course of your business to get your ass shot off.

Did I mention that this flick really sucks?

Throughout the cartoon, I mean movie, Ford wears what appears to be Sam Sheppard's "A-2" from The Right Stuff. The collar is so huge that, in several scenes, Ford looks like Bat-Man. At least this A-2 had a one-piece back---but so did Bat-Man's cape. I didn't notice too many other jackets in the film. Maybe a B-3 here and there, but generally everyone just wears boring prop-room A-2s.

Bottom line is, if you get the chance to see this movie---don't. Especially if you're wanting to see good jackets. I'm sure that if Harrison Ford had known that our Harris Teeder was selling DVDs of this abortion, he would have rushed to New Bern and bought all the copies himself.

AF

hacker

So I take it you didn't like it? :p .........Actually thanks for the review....I like Harrison Ford, but he certainly has made some real stinkers........

BTW Geoff....DON"T send that to me for Christmas ;)

Hack

asiamiles

John Lever said:
That's an old film, I don't think it has aged very well. Lesley Anne-Down was fit in those days though.
It's not that old John, 1979, but it deliberately harks back to old fashioned melodramas so perhaps seems older. You're right though, it hasn't aged as well as some of the 40's films it's trying in spirit to recreate...though of course they didn't have the nude love scenes! Director Peter Hyams had made the classic conspiracy thriller CAPRICORN ONE the previous year, but his career has been pretty much downhill ever since.

A

Anonymous

Chandler said:
Yeah, it's an older film all right. I especially like Ford's regulation haircut in the film.

But at least some of the B-25 shots were authentic. Richard Masur squeezed into the nose is funny too!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079268/

Chandler

Suprised that fat ass could even fit into a B-25!!!! HA, must have had a hell of a WT/Balance problem!

Cliff

A truly awful film unless your into Mitchells, The best line in the whole film spoken by a very young Patsy Kensit....."When shall I get breasts Mummy?" "Next Tuesday I should think ! " :lol:

rgds

cliff

rich

Director Peter Hyams had made the classic conspiracy thriller CAPRICORN ONE the previous year, but his career has been pretty much downhill ever since.[/quote]

Capricorn One! Wouldn't mind watching that right now! While I'm waiting for 'Robbery' Miles, any idea if 'The Hill' is going to be available to us Region 2 types anytime soon? A very long time since I saw this but I remember it has some great performances
from an unusually good cast. Speaking of sweaty British character actors, I rate 'King Rat' highly too, at least this is easily available.

Chandler

rich said:
Speaking of sweaty British character actors, I rate 'King Rat' highly too, at least this is easily available.

Hmm, pretty much everyone in that flick is sweaty!

Chandler

rich

My machine is only region 2 unfortunately, but am I right in thinking it can be unlocked
if you know a numerical sequence to enter via the remote? Anyone know where you find these numbers?
Another region one only - The Culpepper cattle co.............
Thanks for the heads up Marv, much appreciated.

asiamiles

rich said:
Capricorn One! Wouldn't mind watching that right now! While I'm waiting for 'Robbery' Miles, any idea if 'The Hill' is going to be available to us Region 2 types anytime soon?
I'll certainly be getting ROBBERY, but was never a big fan of THE HILL. Sure, it's quite a powerful film, but not a very likeable one and not something I'd want to return to time and again. In fact, I don't have any Sidney Lumet films on DVD.

rich

I'll certainly be getting ROBBERY, but was never a big fan of THE HILL. Sure, it's quite a powerful film, but not a very likeable one and not something I'd want to return to time and again. In fact, I don't have any Sidney Lumet films on DVD.[/quote]

The Hill isn't light viewing is it? No redemption there. I don't know Lumet's work very well but I think 12 Angry Men is fantastic -
I didn't know this was his though, until about 20 seconds ago............

as far as what to program for you DVD player, google it. put in your model and it will tell you what to do and if it can be done. i used to have those links but that was on my pc not on my mac.