• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanger Damage

D97x7

Hi, I keep reading about how you should never store your jackets, especially shearlings, on a hanger of any form as it causes damage to the shoulders, so was wondering if anyone could post some photos of this?
I keep all my jackets on hangers and haven't noticed any issues with them at all, okay non of them are originals so aren't really that old, so maybe that's why I haven't experienced it yet.

Last edited:

mr_lits

When I see this kind of damage it is almost invariably caused by wire hangers and/or plastic cheapies.

In the winter months I keep my shearlings hanging on wide wood suit type hangers. In the off season they live stored flat in garment bags inside totes.

D97x7

Yeah I get that a skinny hanger would cause issues, mine are all covered with pipe insulation which I think more closely emulates a natural shoulder so imo is fine, plus to be honest I don't have any other way of storing them.

MikeyB-17

I roll mine up when it’s not in use, and keep it in a bag. Usually my AN-6505 AAF hold-all, but anything similar works. I put cedar wood discs (Aldi or Lidl do them occasionally) to keep the Lepidoptera at bay.

bfd70

I don’t have enough storage space to box all of my jackets. I also don’t want a production every time i leave the house. I treat them rough. I want them to last a while but don’t need them to last forever.

ausreenactor

Some real 'hanger' damage.

Screenshot_20220125-220710_Chrome.jpg