• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

handsewn patch on this WASP jacket ?!

taikonaut

For that kind of money you would expect to it to be a great condition jacket and dress uniform with original patches and artworks worn by a fighter Ace plus photos, letters, etc. A bit suspicious especially with the new stitching on that patch, apart from the bidding of course and the reserve set which add further to the suspcion. I bet this wont get sold and then get relisted again and some mug will pay over the odds for it thinking they got a bargain.

Hamsterbear

I'm always amused that the seller hides the "original owners" name in the listing, to be disclosed to the buyer at time of sale. Isn't that idiotic to buy something that valuable without knowing the full providence? Go figure.
-Brian

A

Anonymous

I don't know. the paint used might be suspect, it almost looks like paint pen. it looks to smooth with no brush strokes.

zoomer

taikonaut said:
For that kind of money you would expect to it to be a great condition jacket and dress uniform with original patches and artworks worn by a fighter Ace
th_170.jpg

zoomer

taikonaut said:
zoomer said:
taikonaut said:
For that kind of money you would expect to it to be a great condition jacket and dress uniform with original patches and artworks worn by a fighter Ace
th_170.jpg

Is it yours?
Naw, just commentary on the idea that a WASP piece couldn't be worth as much as a combat pilot's piece. I dunno about relative rarity, etc., though.

A

Anonymous

Actually Wasp stuff can have twice the valve due to the rarity. Saw a wasp breast patch go for 500.00. Wasp wings, went for 450.00.

johnnynotoes-1

Were patches always hand painted? As far as I have found felt tipped pens were fair primitive in the 40s. Probably more like a crude monstrous marker. Felt tipped pens were not fine tuned until the 60s. The ones I used as a kid made quite similar lines as seen on that patch. Colour fields filled in quite uniformly too as long as the caps were kept on after use to keep them from drying out. Sure looks like a Papermate to me. Were the backs always done in brush as well? I've dabbled with oils a bit {on wood and canvas]...maybe acrylics would not be as toxic to the leather structure? Anyways...have to keep an eye on this one. Wowee!

DiamondDave

Seen that patch before...

I am almost positive that the patch in question was sold recently by a guy in Mexico... some of you may be familiar with his offerings. His handle is jimmbdean, or something like that. I swear he sold that patch recently, it already had stitch holes in it, but I have long suspected his "original" items to be less than genuine. Especially as a person who has done some sewing, one can see that the stitch on that patch could not possibly be sewn on like that originally. The in and out nature of the stitches is highly suspect. This is don when one wishes to conceal ALL of the holes that were made by a machine. There is no doubt in my mind that someone is trying to con somebody... and the price??? Please. Oh wll... Caveat Emptor, I suppose.

David

shanghai joe

DiamondDave said:
Seen that patch before...

I am almost positive that the patch in question was sold recently by a guy in Mexico... some of you may be familiar with his offerings. His handle is jimmbdean, or something like that. I swear he sold that patch recently, it already had stitch holes in it, but I have long suspected his "original" items to be less than genuine. Especially as a person who has done some sewing, one can see that the stitch on that patch could not possibly be sewn on like that originally. The in and out nature of the stitches is highly suspect. This is don when one wishes to conceal ALL of the holes that were made by a machine. There is no doubt in my mind that someone is trying to con somebody... and the price??? Please. Oh wll... Caveat Emptor, I suppose.

David

yep, I've heard of a jimmybean special.......... :roll:

A

Anonymous

I know his work but this is not it. Not sure were this patch came from. could be authentic but.

shanghai joe

MarkP40 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-IDENTIFIED-WW2-JOSTEN-WASP-WING-W-STATEMENT_W0QQitemZ110237673632QQihZ001QQcategoryZ36059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem To give you a small idea what WASP stuff is going for.

thanks !