• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Handmade 25th FIS patch finished!

deand

It's done. 3" wide, and an enjoyable bit of work. Kept it as true to round as possible which meant sew, stretch, sew, stretch, ad nauseumwhich ultimately distorted the plastic embroidering ring I used from round to oval. I chose the plastic ring because it had a special "lip" design which is supposed to help the base material stay secure. The border of the patch was secured from un raveling by a thin clear glue, and the edges where the patch was cut away from the rest of the base material could stand a little finer cutting at certain points around the edge.

0117130742a.jpg

0117130742.jpg

dean

atkins

Two thumbs up Dean! Thanks for the close up picture, i learned a lot. Did you use one needle and change thread color or multiple needle?

deand

atkins said:
Two thumbs up Dean! Thanks for the close up picture, i learned a lot. Did you use one needle and change thread color or multiple needle?

I changed thread color as I worked outward from the center of the design, using the same needle. I also tried to keep a consistent stitch direction, horizontal back and forth, except the outer border ring. I can't stress enough the need to keep pulling the base material into round as you go. The material really has to be drumhead tight to do the best job!

dean

dmar836

Wow!
Before you get a bunch of offers for bespoke patches, tell about how many hours this took.
Great work!
Dave

deand

Thank you for your compliments! Began on December 23rd, 2012, so over three weeks, I'd estimate about a half an hour a day, average, since my hand would get a little sore, (or bloodied from the needle :lol: ), or I simply didn't have a few days where I could work on it. About 15 hours, roughly. I'm looking forward to another project. Haven't decided yet, but probably a 5" for jacket application. Something more complex. Another detail I forgot to mention on the process. My wife suggested doubling the thread through the needle, and I did and it covers much more quickly and better. I even tried quadrupling, but it made it too heavy to work with, like embroidery floss would be.

dean

a2jacketpatches

You can buy a backing especially for embroidery, it is like a grid pattern and can be found in different sizes, natural cotton, etc. The holes and pattern make for an easier and organized stitch. Go spend a few minutes in an actual embroidery shop with one of the ladies and bring this piece with you. Embroidery floss is made to use with these substrates, you may discover this is the way to go under certain circumstances.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey , it really looks fantastic , great job for sure, now if you could only find a quicker way to do it , I'm sure you wish there was , right !
Again that really looks awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

deand

"You can buy a backing especially for embroidery, it is like a grid pattern and can be found in different sizes, natural cotton, etc. The holes and pattern make for an easier and organized stitch. Go spend a few minutes in an actual embroidery shop with one of the ladies and bring this piece with you. Embroidery floss is made to use with these substrates, you may discover this is the way to go under certain circumstances."

I really should do that. I'm sure it would only help. Thanks!

"Hey , it really looks fantastic , great job for sure, now if you could only find a quicker way to do it , I'm sure you wish there was , right !
Again that really looks awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Johnny

Thanks, Johnny! Yes, I'm not always a patient person, indeed! Using a machine would speed it up a lot, covering large areas, I think, then using needle and thread in the detail spots. I just wanted to see what I could accomplish, short of mechanical help

"Job well done! What are going to put it on?"

Thank you, very much, Alan! I'd like to put it on an 8 panel red wool ball cap like the F-86 pilots of the 25th FIS wore in the Korean War, but sourcing an 8 panel ballcap is a challenge. I've been tempted to produce my own, but I'm not savvy enough with the machine, yet, to do that.

dean

ausreenactor

That amount of time and effort will never result in you making a fortune; however, you shall surely reap bucket loads of cred.
AMAZING work and WELL DONE. Sensational to say the least.

Spot on! Verbal praise is not recognition befitting your efforts here. Was this a labour of love, so to speak?

Couchy

deand

ausreenactor said:
That amount of time and effort will never result in you making a fortune; however, you shall surely reap bucket loads of cred.
AMAZING work and WELL DONE. Sensational to say the least.

Spot on! Verbal praise is not recognition befitting your efforts here. Was this a labour of love, so to speak?

Couchy

Couchy, your approval is very gratifying! Thank you! I enjoyed making the patch and improving and learning the process, yes. I have no intention of making money at it. To make one and see it work out is enough. I would be interested in producing a patch someone would appreciate for their own use...not for a fee, though. I have found that giving of oneself through any talent and ability, aside from making a living, which we all must do, has a more lasting result then 'doing it for the money". Again, you and many others make being a member of this forum a joy, and thanks for your compliments.

dean

EMBLEMHUNTER

As to a source for the hat making/pattern , youshould try some of the oriental manufacturers, they tend to be able to do good work with just about anything ,if you have a sketch of a actual hat pattern or an actual hat you wouldn't mind being taken apart for refference , I'm sure you could find a company or two that could easily copy and make them .
Johnny

deand

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
As to a source for the hat making/pattern , youshould try some of the oriental manufacturers, they tend to be able to do good work with just about anything ,if you have a sketch of a actual hat pattern or an actual hat you wouldn't mind being taken apart for refference , I'm sure you could find a company or two that could easily copy and make them .
Johnny

Excellent idea. I'll give that some consideration. I've always believed that there would be interest in 8 panel ballcaps on this forum, at least, to go with some of the jackets we collect. I have sought to inspire a member of this forum ;) to put his abilities into it, and I think he will, he hasn't disappointed yet. :D
'

dean

a2jacketpatches

Dean, I was just at an embroidery shop here in town ( can't believe we actually have in this tiny spot on top of a mountain ) but anyway. They have that material I mentioned along with silk thread, the embroidery stuff in skeins. She said that bloody fingers and distortion is much less of an issue when using these materials. Silk would be awesome, I've used it before with machine guided embroidery and it looks great.