• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hand dyed wallet: From natural hide to mid brown...

ties70

Hi,

a couple of years ago I got a natural hide wallet from LeatherGoods Inc..
Nothing fancy, but in the style of much more expensive RED MOON's or Studio d´Artisan's.

One major problem was the natural hide, which didn't age the way I wanted it to.
Especially the denim from my back pockets gave it a dirty appearance with kind of greyish-green stains. I have used saddle soap to to clean the wallet once in a while but the problem remained: After a few days the dirty look was back again!

Here a some pics of the Wallet before and after the cleaning with saddle soap:

wallet_comp_1.jpg

wallet_comp_4.jpg

wallet_comp_3.jpg

wallet_comp_2.jpg

Last weekend I decided to finally re-dye the wallet and use the Tandy EcoFlow Antique Stain in Mid Brown.
The ones who frequently visit the "Patches" section already know that this is my recent "multi purpose weapon", and I use it to age my patches as well.
I apply the stuff with a really damp, almost wet cloth....I let it dry for a few minutes and then apply the next coat, till I am satisfied with the colour.

wallet_dyed_contrasts.jpg

wallet_dyed_2.jpg

wallet_dyed_1.jpg

Finally, I have applied several coats of EcoFlow Satin Shene. If used with some pressure it will clean the surface and take some of the Antique Stain liquid with it. Furthermore it enhances the colors by giving a warm hue.

So this is the final result:

wallet_final.jpg

Let's hope it will be durable and protect the wallet from staining too fast again.

Best regards

Ties

Andrew

I just ordered and received one of these fanatastic wallets based on Ties' recommendation and I love it. The workmanship is faultless. This is the Ponderosa but without the lanyard and with a zippered coin purse.

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5051.jpg

I gave it a light dressing of pecards in the hope of reducing oil marks and after two weeks still looks pretty fresh. On the website you don't have the choice to have the half dollar, (which is surely one of the most beautiful coins ever made), just a nickel, and he made a bit of noise when I asked for it and he said "just don't tell anyone!"

So I didn't tell anyone Ok?.

Steve27752

Andrew said:
I just ordered and received one of these fanatastic wallets based on Ties' recommendation and I love it. The workmanship is faultless. This is the Ponderosa but without the lanyard and with a zippered coin purse.

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5051.jpg

I gave it a light dressing of pecards in the hope of reducing oil marks and after two weeks still looks pretty fresh. On the website you don't have the choice to have the half dollar, (which is surely one of the most beautiful coins ever made), just a nickel, and he made a bit of noise when I asked for it and he said "just don't tell anyone!"

So I didn't tell anyone Ok?.

I like the wallets. It would make a nice Christmas present too me:) would you have a link to it?

Andrew

Hereyago Steve. Scroll down towards the bottom to get to this type. Henry makes beautiful objects but he's not the best with communication but then I imagine that comes from years of dealing with fruitloops. It took about a week to make custom which I think is excellent. If he doesn't want to/ won't do the coin thing comme ça then Ties has provided me with a workaround do it yourself- just let me know.

http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/wallets.html