• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Rough Wear 18091

P-47 thunderbolt

Does anyone have this toys McCoy perfect book to hand, I can't access mine but inside is a small picture of McQueen that I can't find anywhere else, showing his left sleeve, it shows a large patch of the under colour of the jacket, as if the top coat had been wiped off. The colour is very russet underneath. I just don't know if 27752s came in such a light shade. From that photo I would guess that the jacket finish had been played with by the costume department. The USAAF decal or painted symbol looked like it had been applied after the aging process

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 212

P-47 thunderbolt

If the rw 16159 with a changed zipper pull is a contender for the original McQueen jacket, what features rule out the rw 1401p other than the zipper? Is there any possibility that it was a redyed 1401p with a replaced zipper?

I know that the pockets on a 1401p are similar to a 27752

Heisenberg

look at these photos of a GW RW 18091 for sale on FLC ( a member on FLC is damienweaver )
the color of knits is golden brown ... brown or green ?

A7A0FB1D-90D7-4B80-9B20-4FF76AFD5309.png

43A2BDFC-92B4-4037-8F0E-75324F37CB1B.jpeg
D057E833-6720-41B1-9941-C216D91F0B9B.jpeg
660D57F1-4DED-45CF-9D76-030A4A5586B3.jpeg

Heisenberg

and if the great escape jacket had golden brown knits ?
when we look at the photos of damien´s jacket , this could explain the color differences between the shots from the movie ...

MikeyB-17

I’m not sure the wrist knits on that GW match the waist-may be just the light.
I am not convinced the knits were olive on McQueen’s jacket-I reckon they’re brown, possibly appearing as greenish in a few shots of what is a pretty old film, but there are several pics on this thread where they look a lot browner.

Heisenberg

I’m not sure the wrist knits on that GW match the waist-may be just the light.
I am not convinced the knits were olive on McQueen’s jacket-I reckon they’re brown, possibly appearing as greenish in a few shots of what is a pretty old film, but there are several pics on this thread where they look a lot browner.

Mickey ,I agree , but did you see the first photo of Damien's 18091 ... the knits looks brown .

P-47 thunderbolt

But look how light brown the leather looks compared to the near black shade in other pics, I think that this being an indoor/ studio shot it is lit by artificial lighting : the white balance of the photograph may differ greatly from the shots in sunlight. I personally think the knits are a mid brown.

P-47 thunderbolt

Same photoshoot, knits look darker, my guess is that the 'sunlight' shining through the window is a strong artificial studio light. When sat at the table McQueen is in this strong artificial light and when stood up he is out of it (The leather also looks darker here). In dfferent types of light objects reflect different wavelengths of light back. When judging the colour I would only trust the pictures in taken natural light.
right.jpg

B-Man2

Hi Guys
I just looked through Gary Eastmans Book on A2’s regarding original knits on A2 jackets. I think that this is one of the most complete and accurate books available today on A2’s jackets . There is no picture or reference to green / brown knits ever being contracted for the A2 jacket. The book has a small section with photos on the various colors of Knits that were available at the time and some of the jackets which were associated with those knits.
During previous discussions about the Hilts A2 that took place over the last few years, I remember it being mentioned that the Hilts jacket was supposedly an actual surplus issued jacket and that there were at least 2 jackets that were used in the film. If that was the actually the case, and there were 2 jackets that would account for much of the discussion regarding different perspectives and colors of knits in photos as well as different marking on the jacket.
Hope I haven’t confused things but I thought it was worth mentioning this information.
Cheers