• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Rough Wear 18091

Heisenberg

John contacted me last night to offer me this incredible Rough Wear pre war jacket ...
he knows my measurements and this Rough Wear is a generous 44 :

John wrote to me :
" Most excellent, and I think this one will fit you really well. I'm just a tiny bit smaller in the chest, and this one looks good on me, but it's a little big. I've also added a few more images: Though this sounds big for a size 44, this is actually the correct chest size from the original I copied. I did make the sleeves a little longer, as I like having good coverage. "

Front along zipper: 24.5"

Front under arms: 25"
Back under arms: 25"
Back height: 26.25"
Shoulder width: 20"
Sleeve length: 26.75"

After receiving his second email, I accepted his offer ...
John is a good guy and he told me a bit about his work , I thank him on the forum for his sympathy
and its excellent work which far exceeds other manufacturers .
This Rough Wear is my fourth GW , and it won't be the last ...

E8605891-2788-4647-9BEB-D3455F84FAA1.jpeg
2A6EB0B9-CEB9-4115-AE4D-8EBA193028E3.jpeg

BB75950D-6A9B-4027-90EC-8AA89D9101D8.png

45C8BF4F-D4DA-4AF8-ACCE-E87BF4657B8F.jpeg
3AB1A5D1-8777-4889-88D6-88239B3411DC.png
59C289FA-1886-4D21-A0B8-536D25A9177D.jpeg
04B264E8-27A8-4B5F-80B3-BE730C78A975.jpeg
5CD72C32-B005-4EDE-AC1D-ACAFC5B1265E.jpeg
85C82FE4-5218-41EA-88BA-D2EDDD900B6A.jpeg
29E7D4D6-A817-4E09-A2E7-C3188C6FE416.jpeg

Heisenberg

Thanks Bretta . John offers many more specific contracts ... and many agree that it is the best
and i agree . I think he is the only one to offer original zippers too ...and excellent skins if his jackets don't hang out when they are on sale, there is a reason for that .

Last edited:

Brettafett

Not knocking your jacket or GW, at all... I have owned three GWs, first was back in 2008. I know John has picked up a number of original bits over the years, but so have other makers at various times, even zippers, and these are options at added cost.
John's skins are some of the best, certainly not 'the only best', sorry. He also relies on batches, some comes in better, others not so much. I've experienced both sides.
I've seen incredible GWs that look like originals and others not so much, a couple down right not so nice. Same can be said for the other high-end makers. Some get lucky, some unlucky I guess :)

And yes, his Sale jackets go quick (depending on size), for good reasons... If you're waiting 2 years and a jacket comes in in your size... but you'll also consistently find them for sale on these forums and Ebay. Frequently.

Some may say GW is best, or Eastman is best, or BK is best, etc but having owned multiple jackets from all of these and more, incl a few originals, I've come to the conclusion that there are a group of high-end flight jacket makers, of which John is one, that all make the world's 'best' jackets. This is a very small group to be sure.
They all have their own approach and their products are all meticulously copied off original wartime jackets in their collection. They are all hand-made, by highly skilled artisans and use the very best materials available today.

People may prefer one maker over another, for various reasons, and you are totally at rights to rate his jackets. I think you scored a gem there. Wear it in good health and looking forward to seeing it break in.

Heisenberg

That’s a fine looking RoughWear A2 , one of the nicest I’ve seen . Even the label is brilliantly made. Please post some photos once it arrives.
Congrats Raphael!! :)

thank you for your message , the jacket is purchased and I should receive it in ten days ... with UPS and an APO address it happens very quickly ! I would take photos as usual

Technonut2112

Outstanding jacket.. I had one of JC's RW 18091's with a complete original pre-war Talon before. It was in his fantastic Indian goat, and was one of those that I truly regret selling. I've owned a total of 6 GW A-2's over the years, along with most other notable makers known here, and agree that JC's are some of the finest A-2 repros which money can buy. I have managed to hold on to a particularly nice RW 27752 he made, which was directly patterned from an original, and the one used on his site to represent the contract for a long time before he decided to replace it with another. I would have to be literally starving to let it go, and even then I'd think hard about it before I would... I can't say that about any other A-2 repro makers jacket I've owned before..