• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW question

Edward

...in all seriousness I did "just have to have an original John Chapman." Felt like I was missing out if I didn't have a GoodWear in my collection ... but I have to say that my first purchase, which was the ELC Star Sportswear, is still my favorite because out of the three repro jackets I own that Star really has a nice weight and balance! It feels so right on me. Seems a bit weird but its the most comfortable of all my A-2 jackets. They all feel great but when I put on the Star Sportswear I actually forget I'm wearing it! It just blends in and I don't notice that I'm wearing a jacket and I'm not sure why that is. I can only describe it as perfectly balanced. once its on I hate taking it off! it feels good on me without feeling like I'm wearing a heavy leather jacket. My GW Dubow and my ELC Roughwear feel nice but I feel them. I know I'm wearing them. the Star becomes a part of me... I become one with my Star Sportswear :D

ausreenactor

I have had three GWs over the years. USL, Cooper and a Perry twice.... All of them had 'issues'. When I got the Perry back I remembered why I sold it on instantly. It had my art on it, otherwise it would be gone again.....

If you are applying the 'art' analogy.....
1. Even Da Vinci had some 'lesser' works!

2. Get them made now and when JC goes toes up the value will really jump....!! ;)

Dany McDonald

I'm no A-2 expert but all the original ones we have at the museum here and that I got to handle were pretty shoddily put together. One of the most noticeable things was on each jacket was how the pockets were out of alignment. One pocket was roughly half an inch higher on each jacket. Along with that the stitching was out of whack in a lot of places and another very noticeable thing was how the snap alignment was also out of alignment.

What an interesting tread! I have nothing to add really as I lack the knowledge and collection to appreciate the work of John Chapman in upper details. Beside his workmanship and passion, I think that his kindness and class is in itself an edge in the competition... Imagine if he had an administrative assistant for communication/management...

Smithy, you just describe why I love USAAF kits... This transcend the urgency to break the Nazis back: Hey there's work to be done, no time to be scrupulous!

Sorry if I went astray from the original topic.

Dany

Kermit3D

I don't have your experience, I only have two jackets.
I have never seen Goodwear jackets, I have never seen Eastman jackets, I have never seen Fivestar jackets, I have never seen Aero Leather jackets, I have never seen Lost Worlds jackets, ... So I have no legitimacy to give my opinion, but I give it anyway :) (I do not guarantee that my opinion is "the truth" but it is my feeling).

I only read your feedbacks on the forum (and on the FL forum).
As you say, the quality of the jackets, their cuts, their historical fidelity, it is important. But behind each of these brands, there are people who make and sell jackets and that matters to me.

I exchanged a few emails with John Chapman, this guy seems really passionate and my feeling about him was excellent.
I wouldn't spontaneously go to Gary Eastman for some reason... just like I wouldn't go Bill Kelso brand (even though I really love the A-2 BK jacket I bought from Brett).
On the other hand, I would like to have an Aero Leather jacket. I like the way Ken highlights his employees.
I also like what Shawn (Fivestar) is showing us.

Last edited:

Grant

Years ago after selling Vic a beautiful original goatskin Dubow that was too damn small on me I immediately had major sellers regret. A couple days later I called John and asked him to make me a goat 27798 attempting to replace the old original and sent him an original Talon to used in the jacket. Back then, the goatskin John was using was on the thin side, so the jacket broke in quickly wearing very much like the old original. Areas of the jacket that get a lot of wear reveal warm russet undertones again very much like vintage goatskin. Needless to say, John got it right making a jacket that purged that old sellers regret. Making the jacket even more personally special over the years was meeting Dolittle raiders on three different occasions and having them sign the lining. Thanks John for a bitchin jacket!

GW1.jpg
GW2.jpg
GW3.jpg

Flightengineer

Years ago after selling Vic a beautiful original goatskin Dubow that was too damn small on me I immediately had major sellers regret. A couple days later I called John and asked him to make me a goat 27798 attempting to replace the old original and sent him an original Talon to used in the jacket. Back then, the goatskin John was using was on the thin side, so the jacket broke in quickly wearing very much like the old original. Areas of the jacket that get a lot of wear reveal warm russet undertones again very much like vintage goatskin. Needless to say, John got it right making a jacket that purged that old sellers regret. Making the jacket even more personally special over the years was meeting Dolittle raiders on three different occasions and having them sign the lining. Thanks John for a bitchin jacket!

View attachment 57993View attachment 57994View attachment 57995

This is a very nice and memorable jacket, Grant. Every time you show it I look at the autographs and think that now none of them are here anymore, they all flew away forever. Only memory remains.

johnwayne

Well Grant, that pic, that jacket, that fit, enough said! Must admit too, I do like a rust/berry knit even though I don't possess one!!

Rutger

My 2011 ELC Werber bought new, otherwise great jacket, has a collar stand which makes the collar rub my throat when driving car. Damn that collar stand.
BK from 2012, bought new, just doesn't have what it takes. Dunno what it is, it just doesn't drape well. It's "there" all the time. Back then the greatest and bestest in every possible way ;) . Maybe they're even beyond bestest nowadays.
My GW Doniger, bought in 2014 here at VLJ year of build unknown, just happens to have a perfect fit.
You just have to be lucky sometimes, for others it may have been that particular ELC. Or BK. Or Platon. Or DD. Or Aero . Or.....
Like a girlfriend, ya can't always say what it is that puts everything in the right place.

Have to admit that of all makers, I admire the effort, knowledge and attention to detail being put into it by JC most.

ausreenactor

I secured this GW Rough Wear 18091 in a trade. I forwarded a new BR 18091 in the deal....

If I waited over a year for this one at $1500 I would be disappointed.... Very plain hide and minimal character. A FiveStar Dubow would put more of a smile on the dial...

16186936234228759567450477891012.jpg
16186936421537334064126699025507.jpg

This Perry, on the other hand? Hell yeah...

16186936828331798954505723648741.jpg

Unless you're looking at it....or the equivalent off the production line, I would only ever buy second hand...