• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Acme / Aero

falcon_ib

B-Man,
It's a pretty uniquely shaped patch ;) Most are circular

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I love this photo of 2nd Lt. Garrison of the 72nd Fighter Squadron, 21st Fighter Group, 7th Air Force. They flew Airacobras and Mustangs in the Central Pacific, including VLR missions over Japan in '45. Note the "Sun Setters VII" patch theater-made for flyers of VII Fighter Command.

B-Man2

B-Man,
It's a pretty uniquely shaped patch ;) Most are circular

View attachment 20596

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I love this photo of 2nd Lt. Garrison of the 72nd Fighter Squadron, 21st Fighter Group, 7th Air Force. They flew Airacobras and Mustangs in the Central Pacific, including VLR missions over Japan in '45. Note the "Sun Setters VII" patch theater-made for flyers of VII Fighter Command.
Thanks Falcon!
Always amazed at the way some guys can zero in on this stuff and pull it together.

Officer Dibley

Dave
Good call!
You nailed it!
How did you ever pin it down to that specific patch when there are loads of the out there?

It wasn’t easy Burt. Falcon is right, triangular is pretty unique but people don’t put patches on the ‘net with descriptors like “triangular” so it was simply trying lots of different image searches for leather patches and trawling.
Trouble is i don’t like that patch so will now move to having a circular patch added which will leave some stitch holes still visible.
Cheers, Dave

Silver Surfer

with time, patience, an xacto knife and some acrylic paint, you can make the remaining stitch hole disappear. the trick is to get a good color match, and using the sharp end of the xacto, push a dab of paint into each hole. the paint recedes. and will level off, thus you will have to repeat as often as needed to get the filled in hole level with the surrounding hide. the really important ingredient here is patience.

Last edited:

B-Man2

It wasn’t easy Burt. Falcon is right, triangular is pretty unique but people don’t put patches on the ‘net with descriptors like “triangular” so it was simply trying lots of different image searches for leather patches and trawling.
Trouble is i don’t like that patch so will now move to having a circular patch added which will leave some stitch holes still visible.
Cheers, Dave
Any chance of finding something you like that will cover all of the holes?