• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gulf War Era USAF Flight Jackets, What are we waiting for ?

LJDRVR

I can understand the sentiment that these Coopers and others are not as nice as an original issue A-2. They aren’t.

But I would humbly assert that it’s an apples to oranges comparison.

For two hundred bucks or less, you’re getting a genuine, GI flight jacket. If you’re patient, it’s easy to find one that’s been modified by Pops. Now you’ve got a really nice A-2 with gussets, a pencil pocket inside, a replacement liner and a chit. For 300 bucks! Easily within the budget of a collector who’s not able to spend north of 1K on a jacket, which is a really important consideration for many.

You also can rest assured in the knowledge a Pop’s modified jacket was an actual issue garment and the USAF doesn’t issue A-2s to anybody except mission qualified aircrew. So it’s not an 8th Air Force named jacket with provenance, but it’s a really nice, authentic flight jacket.

I’ve had mine since 1988 when I was on active duty. It has been with me my entire flying career, including the day I took my PPL checkride. (16,000 hours ago.) It’s held up nicely the last 33 (!) years

Also, It’s not hanging in my closet, it is lying in the baggage compartment of my Stearman. That’s nice enough for me. I’m lucky to have it. My only regret is it’s a 46R and I’m a 44L. Great thread, Burt! Very thoughtful.