• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gulf War Era USAF Flight Jackets, What are we waiting for ?

B-Man2

Hi Guys :)
I wasn’t sure if this topic fit in the Vintage thread but since the first Gulf war ended in 1991, I thought that 30 years might be a long enough period of time to included this post here. Now to be precise , although the war Is recognized as encompassing the period from August 2,1990 thru July 31, 1991, jackets issued during that time period continued being made , issued and used well into the turn of the decade. So what I’m talking about in this post is a series of jackets that were officially designated as the rebirth of the USAF A2 jackets which were reissued to the USAF air crews in 1987, and worn through the Gulf War up until 2000. OK .. with that bit of information out of our way, let me say that this is a topic you’ve heard me rant about before. On several occasions we’ve discussed what it was like in the “old days” when you could find original WWII A2 jackets in surplus stores for $25.00 to $30.00 each, and no one wanted them . They had racks of them hanging on walls when I was a kid and they couldn’t give them away . Today those jackets are selling for hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. So.. the purpose of this post isn’t for us “old shits” who missed the boat on some grand opportunities, but rather for you younger guys who are just getting into this hobby and have a similar opportunity that exists today, but is not being pursued . It seems that in the last few years the emphasis on purchasing A2 repro jackets has been focused on getting the best quality repro for the cheapest possible cost. Now believe me .. I have no problem with that game plan . As an older collector who has seen the cost of this hobby continuously increase year after year .. I get it ! But here’s where I think many of the younger guys are missing the window of opportunity. There are a wealth of US Government USAF issued jackets , made during the 1990 -1995 time frame, that are outstanding goatskin jackets , in great shape , that are original issued contract jackets, that are currently available today at stupidly ridiculously low prices .Most of them cheaper than the cheapest repros being purchased today . These jackets have a history , they have a lineage, they often have a name or an owner attached to them , who can be researched and a story learned and shared. From my perspective that’s what makes this hobby interesting . The original jackets and the people who wore them and the stories that often come with them . Now the cost of these jackets has been low in the last few years but like 99 % of everything in this world, the prices will go up over time. So this is why I’ve been beating this drum to death , in hopes that some of the younger guys will grab one of these nice goatskins and put it away for a decade or so . Hell ... for the price of $75.00 - $180.00 what have you got to loose . It’s nice original USAF issued goatskin flight jacket that’s cheaper than any if the current “Stars” being sold:rolleyes:. And it’s got a history . Here’s a couple I’ve snagged, the most expensive of which was $125.00.
Well... that’s it from me . I hope some of you might consider this suggestion , if you happen to purchase one I think you’ll be happy with it . As always if you do buy one ..... Wear the piss out of it ! ;)
F8E0E514-F5CE-4866-AA77-2E8F306D3CA3.jpeg
FDA0FB92-80E7-4857-96F2-3DC772E37C96.jpeg
288B32EE-4CF4-45BF-ACF1-FF40479EEDFD.jpeg
08673E32-859E-4876-98C5-790EAF35AC38.jpeg
B24A32FA-E7C7-497B-BAEF-48973AC30723.jpeg
F6516648-CDAD-42B9-90F5-EFAD6F7A26D2.jpeg

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Enlisted as it started, all over by the time I finished basic. Blitzkrieg 2.0!

Nobody had the time to stop off and generate a global appeal. Diego Garcia and Kuwait support staff were probably the only people who engaged with the deploying forces.

The English and Australian population were influenced greatly by the presence of Allied forces....

Many grew up with the gear and the movie of the era.

Courage Under Fire was about it......

Southoftheborder

My then girlfriend bought one in 1988 when the same jackets were being sold to anyone. They cocked up the sizes and it turned out to be a tent on her and was sent back. For what it's worth I was not impressed by the thin papery goatskin.

B-Man2

If she ordered it through the mail or via the web without being able to try it on , it wouldn’t surprise me that a mans sized jacket did not fit her properly and was big on her . The quality of the goatskin on every military issued jacket that I’ve owned or handled has always been very good . She may have gotten a rejected jacket or one that didn’t pass the quality control inspection or was never intended for the USAF but was strictly made for commercial sales.

B-Man2

The sizing on the ones made during the 1990 thru 1995 contracts is pretty much the same and accurate. It gets a little crazy with the ones made from 2000 and on . The ones with the hand warmer pockets and the sleeve gussets run about one size larger that the tag size .

B-Man2

Great post, Burt! So of the modern A-2s that you’ve handled, which make is your favorite?
Jan
If we’re talking about pre 2000 I like the one actual USAF contract that Branded had in 1992. It’s a nice fitting jacket and it holds up well . They only had the contract that one year.
D10F7AEB-7022-4E4D-B5D1-B724ADA19A40.jpeg

F14E4A18-E068-4E82-A986-E71E77CEE509.png

The jackets made after 2001 are leather not goatskin and have the hand warmer pockets with underarm gussets and a shiny plastic look to them .

Last edited:

Ed Rooney

My orange label cooper 42 is pretty slim fitting, and again, no surrendering in this jacket - Can't raise arms.

I also have a 2000-ish Avirex USAF issue jacket that is more akin to wearing a G-1. It is my cold weather fire pit/cookout jacket. It's a 42L that fits like a 44L. Good for a sweater underneath. All of the added pockets are really useful. Contrary to popular belief, the goat leather on this jacket is great. It's just the ones labeled "Cockpit" that have the plastic bag look to them.

Southoftheborder

If she ordered it through the mail or via the web without being able to try it on , it wouldn’t surprise me that a mans sized jacket did not fit her properly and was big on her . The quality of the goatskin on every military issued jacket that I’ve owned or handled has always been very good . She may have gotten a rejected jacket or one that didn’t pass the quality control inspection or was never intended for the USAF but was strictly made for commercial sales.

Well, the mention of the fit was just in passing because it was funny at the time, and It was like a tent on her as I said. But my point was that IMO the hide was not very good. It was a Cooper I think and was supposed to be the same as the then issued ones. I didn't buy it, she did, and A2s were going through one of their periodic fits of popularity at the time so I suppose she was just following the fashion.

Everyone has their own opinions of course but I don't really rate any of the US issued goatskin. I've had several ex issue G1s over the years and the only one I liked was one I had when I was about twenty at the turn of the sixties to the seventies. I think it was a Foster but it was a long time ago and I wasn't really interested in it at the time other than as a jacket to wear. The others I've had since I didn't think much of and didn't keep long.

I've also owned Eastman G1s and a M422a over the years and the quality of the hide and the construction on those was in a different class I think. As was a GW Doniger I owned until quite recently. You owned that jacket a few years ago too BTW. It had a soft thick goathide that was miles better than any issued G1 I've ever handled.

But the good makers repros jackets of all sorts are usually better quality than originals. They cost a lot more than originals did then, and customers for those jackets now usually demand excellent quality materials and finishing.

B-Man2

Hi So Of the Border
I agree with a lot of what you said . The repro hides used today, whether goat or horse, are definitely superior to what was used in military contract jackets . In fact many , as you said , wouldn’t be happy with the hide choices used by the military, as the repros are premium hides while the military used everything that was available . I know that you know about this, but a lot of the younger guys may not, that a lot of the original WWII A2 jackets look like 3rd class throw away jackets when compared to the likes of an ELC , GW or Aero . They have misaligned pockets, crooked stitching and scars on the hide . You know the old saying “ Always remember that your rifle was made by the lowest bidder” certainly this applies to jackets as well as everything made for government use . Most of what I was trying to pass on was basically, that as military historical and collectable jackets go, there’s window of opportunity right now to own some of these at some great prices . On a side note I definitely agree with a lot of what you mentioned and appreciate your opinions .
Cheers

Ed Rooney

Overall the USAF jackets just don’t have the panache of the WW2 A-2s. Every era has its look, and leather hasn’t really been part of the look for a while. When I think of desert storm, I think the CWU jackets. When I think of the Vietnam era, it’s the L-2b. Korea is the B-15. I know the USAF A-2 is occasionally worn in-flight, but it’s worn more often in the O-club, or with Class B’s on the DC metro, commuting to the Pentagon.