• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gregory Sportswear 7823D G-1

mulceber

Hi All, this is one I've been meaning to share for a a week or two now, but I've been really busy with work, so it's only now that I've been able to put together the photos and share it. I primarily collect AAF jackets, but I've been keeping my eye out for a G-1 for a while, just to try them out. After a lot of browsing and more than a few conversations with @B-Man2 to guide me, I ended up purchasing this Gregory Sportswear G-1 in sz 44. I'm normally a 40 or 42, so I thought the measurements might be a mistake, but the one thing that all of the (few) posts on this contract I've read said is that it's really wonky in its sizing: the back length and sleeve length are appropriate to a 44, while the pit-to-pit and shoulder are what you'd expect for a large 40. :oops: If anyone knows a lot about navy jackets, I'd love to learn more about this contract. I know it's from 1967, and that Gregory Sportswear only had one G-1 contract, but that's all I know.

86B78F3D-C1FE-4586-A8A0-6A5CC74359A1_1_105_c.jpeg

D9640A30-98DF-4BB2-A77D-98EDB556F4CC_1_105_c.jpeg

B0684B65-54A2-4349-9102-F2CD3F311689_1_105_c.jpeg

1C27823D-EF94-4343-A15F-38B890F2617E_1_105_c.jpeg

383BC481-11C9-4434-92F6-CC5B4A3501B1_1_105_c.jpeg

AC10286A-7561-4507-9399-264005DC0455_1_105_c.jpeg

324CD0C3-D529-49ED-82D1-E7A8D5EC6E07_1_105_c.jpeg

DA3D8860-4558-41FC-80A3-9D6EA3518169_1_105_c.jpeg

blackrat2

Hey Jan that looks a nice comfy jacket you have
I must admit these certainly look like they would be more comfortable for modern day life, by this I mean driving cars etc etc
How do you find the fit compared to A2’s in your collection

MikeyB-17

I very briefly had a Gregory, you don’t see them very often. The sizing was, indeed, way out-a so-called 42 was more like a 40, and a small one at that. All the 60’s G-1’s I’ve had and sold over the years, now I wish I kept one.

mulceber

How do you find the fit compared to A2’s in your collection

Apples and oranges, actually: the bi-swing back means that the shoulders don't have the kind of tightness I associate with many A-2 jackets, so it's much more relaxed in the upper body. On the other hand, the more fitted waist and the greater length mean that it's a bit more awkward around the lower torso when I'm sitting down.

I think the G-1 M422 M422a family deserve more recognition here. A design that very definitely works.

I agree - Ken's fond of saying that this board is obsessed with military jackets, but, more narrowly, I'd say AAF jackets are king of the roost. RAF and USN jackets don't get nearly as much attention, although I suppose N-1s are pretty popular right now.

What was the cost Jan @mulceber...?

$260. So, a little below normal prices, and way below what we pay for repros.

I very briefly had a Gregory, you don’t see them very often. The sizing was, indeed, way out-a so-called 42 was more like a 40, and a small one at that. All the 60’s G-1’s I’ve had and sold over the years, now I wish I kept one.

I think your post about it may have been the one that clued me in that these jackets run really small. There are still plenty of '60s G-1s floating around though, so you can easily fix that. ;)

Nice G1, Jan. I love D-series - very comfy everyday jackets. Nice mouton color- like on my Brill made year later in 1968.

Thanks, @Flightengineer , yeah, it was the color of that mouton that first caught my eye. I'm glad I went for it - it slips on very easily and the goatskin has aged to perfection.

Last edited:

johnwayne

I really enjoy wearing my G1’s as I do all my ‘flight’ jackets! Yours looks nice and Gregory is not a name I was aware of - on initial sight the knits look a bit thick/heavy, poss replacements or just the pics?

mulceber

Yeah, GS is apparently an obscure contract. The knits are odd, I don’t think it’s just you: they’re pretty loose around the waist. That said, I THINK they’re original, if only because when I got the jacket, it immediately had to have its zipper replaced. So I don’t think any work had been done on the jacket before I bought it. I could very well be wrong though.

johnwayne

Enlarging the pics it does look as if they’re pretty sound so prob not replacements although they do look like double/folded knits a la A2 style rather than single rib rack normally seen on G1’s - mine look almost see through when stretched/expanded. Ultimately a good find and great fit so one happy chap it sounds! Enjoy!!

Lorenzo_l

Very nice jacket and it fits just great! I had never seen pictures of GS G-1 before.
Original G-1s are fantastic jackets in my opinion, all the more since they can be had at reasonable prices, particularly compared with modern repros.

B-Man2

Very nice jacket and it fits just great! I had never seen pictures of GS G-1 before.
Original G-1s are fantastic jackets in my opinion, all the more since they can be had at reasonable prices, particularly compared with modern repros.
Couldn’t agree with you more . Never really “got it” why repros were able to command higher prices than originals . Also seems to me that the value of a repro will go down over time , whereas an original will increase in value over time . Just my take on it .