• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GREATTTTTTTTTT NEWSSSSSSSSSSSS

better duck

Marcel,
Also from the Northern part of Holland heartfelt congratulations on this work of art(s) by two artists: both John and Jerome. Absolutely terrific piece of work! The sleeve lenght will get even better with wear: the wrinkling of the sleeves will shorten the length somewhat over time, and then you will have perfection.
I am just as eagerly waiting for my goat Dubow by John, and my ELC Star with artwork by Robin Mott. We have picked up the design process again! Keep you posted!!

Cheers

bombs away

T E R R I F I C Marcel !!! :mrgreen:

Congratulations to you the new owner, and of course to J.Chapman and Jerome for their fantastic work.

Tim.

jacketimp

Well, I wouldn't wear another blokes name on my chest. This is mighty strange, just plain weird and still not sure why you would do it, even after you explanation I am still perplexed.[/quote]

you have a point there, newbie..........

for the same reason i wouldn't wear an original if it comes with the original name tag of the vet..........i feel like an.......IMPOSTER!

that of course is strictly my opinion.........

T-Bolt

Well, I wouldn't wear another blokes name on my chest. This is mighty strange, just plain weird and still not sure why you would do it, even after you explanation I am still perplexed.

Actually Aaron, it is not "wierd" at all. I have an ELC Rough Wear 27752 contract that I am patching to honor one of the many USAAF heroes of WWII.

The jacket will be patched to honor Colonel Leon William Johnson, who was the group commander of the 44th Bomb Group (The Flying Eightballs) during 1943 and was piloting the lead 44th B.G. B-24 on the mission known as Operation Tidal Wave. This mission was the long distance attack of the German oil refineries at Ploesti, Romania on August 1, 1943.

For Col. Johnson's bravery and leadership during the mission, above and beyond the call of duty, he was awarded the Medal of Honor after returning back to the 44th's home base at Shipdam, England.

My jacket honoring Col. Johnson will have a stubby wing Eighth Air Force patch on the left shoulder, an amalgamated 44th Flying Eight Balls patch on the left front above the pocket AND a standard dimension name tag on the left front with L.W. Johnson on it!!!

I don't find my plans for the above mentioned jacket to be "strange" or "wierd" in any way......and I don't find Marcel's patching to be unusual either. Maybe you are offended by certain things that don't bother most average A-2 wearers. :cool:

Ted

jacketimp

T-Bolt said:
Well, I wouldn't wear another blokes name on my chest. This is mighty strange, just plain weird and still not sure why you would do it, even after you explanation I am still perplexed.

Actually Aaron, it is not "wierd" at all. I have an ELC Rough Wear 27752 contract that I am patching to honor one of the many USAAF heroes of WWII.

The jacket will be patched to honor Colonel Leon William Johnson, who was the group commander of the 44th Bomb Group (The Flying Eightballs) during 1943 and was piloting the lead 44th B.G. B-24 on the mission known as Operation Tidal Wave. This mission was the long distance attack of the German oil refineries at Ploesti, Romania on August 1, 1943.

For Col. Johnson's bravery and leadership during the mission, above and beyond the call of duty, he was awarded the Medal of Honor after returning back to the 44th's home base at Shipdam, England.

My jacket honoring Col. Johnson will have a stubby wing Eighth Air Force patch on the left shoulder, an amalgamated 44th Flying Eight Balls patch on the left front above the pocket AND a standard dimension name tag on the left front with L.W. Johnson on it!!!

I don't find my plans for the above mentioned jacket to be "strange" or "wierd" in any way......and I don't find Marcel's patching to be unusual either. Maybe you are offended by certain things that don't bother most average A-2 wearers. :cool:

Ted

ted,

will you be wearing the jacket ?

T-Bolt

jacketimp said:
T-Bolt said:

Ted

ted,

Yes.....most definitely. :cool:

Ted

CBI

Actually, I find the "honor" jackets to be the strange thing. Having Chapman's name on the jacket is just like having Ralph Lauren on an RL shirt - no big deal. I am not sure the way to honor someone is by wearing a jacket with that person's unit markings on it. Is this really "OK" to do this? I think the patched jackets are just that, cool looking pieces of vintage fashion. As long as we don't take a Trekkie mentality and pretend we really are one of these guys, I don't see any problems. For me, I avoid wings, mission markings (bombs), kill markings and off-color images. I would love to wear some of those great bare-chested lady nose-art designs on a jacket but, in public - NO WAY. As for a name, the recent jackets I have painted have included "period" nick-names. Nothing to do with my real name.

In the end, to each his own. Cool jacket Marcel. The back looks particularly fine. Congrats John and Jerome.

Vcruiser

Yeah...to each his own...
I wear what I want on my jacket...and honor who and what I consider most worthy.
I have a nametag with my name...Father's name...and Son's name on some. Also patches of groups that I admire. I wasn't a pilot in WW2...but wear an A2 for the sharp style of that era....and brave men that fought for my sorry ass while looking quite classy in an A2. Do what you want...and I'll certainly do the same...even if I put John Chapman on one. If he tracks me down to kick my ass....I'll bite his sorry sewing fingers.
Van

T-Bolt

jacketimp said:
ted,

Yes.....most definitely. :cool:

Ted[/quote]

pix?[/quote]

jacketimp,

At the moment the only patch I have on the jacket in question, is the amalgamated 44th squadron/group patch. I am in the process of finding someone to do the "stubby eighth" patch and name tag. I am probably going to have Howard at Split-S Warbird Resources do the eighth patch and maybe the nametag.

If you want to see my 27752 ELC A-2, and you have access to John Chapman's Jacket CD, go to the listing for repro. A-2's and look under ELC Rough Wear 27752 in size 42 and you will see my jacket. In the photo John is wearing the jacket and it has the 44th patch on it. At the time the photo was taken, the jacket belonged to George, aka "greyhound52", a member of VLJ.

Ted

Chris217

When I wear my GW A-2( that has a leather nametag with my grandfathers name on it) I go out in public and try to convince people I am Bombardier who leads missions over the flak ridden skies of Europe in my B-17. :roll:

Burnsie

I quite proudly wear a jacket with my Old Mans name on it and multiple patches from his squadrons and cruises...but then it IS actually his Cagleco G-1 from the Nam years...(smart ass!)

jacketimp

Chris217 said:
When I wear my GW A-2( that has a leather nametag with my grandfathers name on it) I go out in public and try to convince people I am Bombardier who leads missions over the flak ridden skies of Europe in my B-17. :roll:

any luck, the convincing?

jacketimp

jacketimp,

At the moment the only patch I have on the jacket in question, is the amalgamated 44th squadron/group patch. I am in the process of finding someone to do the "stubby eighth" patch and name tag. I am probably going to have Howard at Split-S Warbird Resources do the eighth patch and maybe the nametag.

If you want to see my 27752 ELC A-2, and you have access to John Chapman's Jacket CD, go to the listing for repro. A-2's and look under ELC Rough Wear 27752 in size 42 and you will see my jacket. In the photo John is wearing the jacket and it has the 44th patch on it. At the time the photo was taken, the jacket belonged to George, aka "greyhound52", a member of VLJ.

Ted[/quote]

my name is imp (drop the jacket bit).....

i'll wait for the jkt as completed...........i have time, not ready to meet my maker-and the rendezvous won't be at the pearly gates!

Lignemaginot

A2_newbie said:
I understand getting patches on a jacket to represent a unit or something, but the name of a fellow who made your jacket, who is just an average bloke like you and I, well, it is quite strange. I agree, you can wear what you like on your jacket because it's yours but the fact remains John Chapman is not Ralph Lauren. I would opt for my own name on the chest but that's just me. To each his own I guess.

I guess I should try to get this tattoo off my ass then :eek:

Jake431

Personally I'd much rather wear a jacket that says John Chapman than Ralph Lauren. Marcel knows that his jacket was sewn together by the man who's name tag he wears. Anyone who has an item that has RL on it knows some 12 year old in a sweatshop got paid 52 cents that day to make what they're wearing.

-Jake

Jake431

It's true, I don't wear all homemade clothing. Nothing in my post above suggested as such. I avoid clothing with logos if I can help it. As for it being strange, well...this hobby is strange. It's a bunch of old men (relatively speaking) obsessing over the tiniest details on leather jackets that were made for kids who never thought twice about wearing them because they simply wanted to avoid dying. Would I do what Marcel did? No. Do I think John's name honors John for his dedication to these jackets? Yes. I do think that's something to honor. He's not really just a regular guy. Regular guy's have never even stumbled onto this website. Regular guys are the ones looking over my shoulder in amazement at this website when I browse it at work. By that definition, we are already not "regular". John's taken it a huge step further - putting his ability to have a livelihood at risk by pursuing the most accurate A-2's on the market - he's a niche guy in a niche market - and for him to stake his success on the fickle tastes of a bunch of wackos, and then have the ability to succeed at it, well, yes, that is something to honor. So, to me, Marcel's impulse is pretty cool. And I stand by my statement - I do know John, and I'd rather honor his hard work than a faceless "fashion" icon any day.

-Jake