• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greasy leather - what can I do?

Enigma1938

Hi
Recently I bought a used leather jacket that worries me. It seems to be 5 - 8 years old.
I don't know how to describe but the leather feels... weird. It feels greasy and sticky although it is clean on the surface. I tried to rub it down with a bit of leather soap on a wet towel. But after drying it still feels like that and there were only small traces of dirt on the towel. The leather is also extremely soft and smells... let's say old but not like leather should smell. It's like someone drowned the jacket in a kind of conditioner some time ago. The seams are also dirty / gummed up, but when I try to clean them they dissolve from the rubbing / brushing no matter how careful I am.
And yes it IS real leather, either cow or horsehide or a kind of lambskin.
Has anyone ever had this problem? Leather that feels sticky but is obvious clean to the eye, at least at the surface. What can I do? Or is there some leather that just feels this way and it's pretty normal?
Thank you

jeremiah

More than likely it was over-treated with some sort of leather conditioner. If this IS the case then it will not dry at all. This happens when one gets too liberal with leather treatments. Leather today will barely need treatment while you own it. Maybe If it’s repeadtly being soaked in water then left to dry but aside from that scenario leather is tanned well now days and will hold up just fine.

if you have the stone for it, throw your jacket in the dryer on warm with a few towels. Maybe it will evaporate some of the conditioner.

Micawber

Stick it outside in the sun on a warm day. The jacket should not be allowed to overheat but rather you should allow the hoop to soften enough to permit buffing off with a flannel or similar, use a brush so get into folds and seams.

There are chemicals to try but unless you have knowledge and experience I would stick to gentle, repeat gentle, warmth.

Bear in mind some leathers do have a waxy surface treatment from new.

Enigma1938

The sunshine and warmth are very limited here the last two weeks. But I'll give it a try when the sun dares to come out again... one day...
Thank you for the advice

Silver Surfer

if all else fails, a rub down with odorless paint thinner will cut through the grease, while not adversely affecting the hides.