• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gordon & Ferguson AN -J-3A

INTRUDER

Hi everyone
I’d like to introduce you to a jacket I recently purchased off eBay . The label was very worn and at first I believed it to be an AN 6552 . Once the jacket arrived I was able to study the label more closely and I was able to make out the contract as being N288s - 24333 . I was also able to just see part of the spec and the ghostly outline of 3A at the end. I truly hope that this jacket is what I now think it is ie G & F 1944 contract AN j3A.
I have looked at the few examples online and all of the features match ie the shape of the neck strap . The zipper stopped short from the bottom of the jacket . The hanger tab stitched through the collar seam and a very faint US stamp to the rh side of the collar .
The cuffs and waist have been replaced and the fur needs to be replaced but the leather is in excellent condition as is the lining . Here are some images . Any advice would be welcomed . Thanks in advance.
E6D7CABE-DDC7-462B-8551-9F7F69DC248E_1_201_a.jpeg
3CC58B19-2D27-43A3-A2F7-088D07161265_1_201_a.jpeg
BC40BF51-9C8D-4E48-9CA6-AD89771E369F_1_201_a.jpeg
5DB6E7E1-8CC2-4C22-BF6B-1C3F4F6A885F_1_201_a.jpeg

Grant

Beautiful jacket! Given that contract no, that'd make it a G&F AN-J-3A. Just curious, is there any evidence the liner has been replaced? Most G&F contracts I've seen have had the reddish/salmon color liners.
Also, what size is it? Aota Mituhiro's Full Gear lists this contract as being produced in large sizes only, so it'd be interesting to know what size yours is.
With the goatskin being in such great condition, this jacket would make an awesome restoration project!
Congrats on landing a rare late war contract jacket and thanks for posting the pics.

INTRUDER

Thanks for your reply. The lining is lighter than it appears --- I had my camera on auto white balance . The jacket is labelled as a size 38 and its too small for me but I bought it mainly out of curiosity.The seller thought it was possibly an M422a . I have seen an example of this contract in a size 38 on Worthpoint . Heres a link to their 45 contract http://monstervintage.com/catalog.php?state=showProduct&ProductID=18808. I'm amazed at the condition of the leather and at first I thought the zipper had been replaced but it appears to be only the puller that has. I have the correct puller to replace this with. I'm looking forward to restoring this jacket and consider myself lucky for finding it as I was just going to pass it by---- glad I followed my instinct now.

Grant

Thanks for the Monster link!
Cool to see the 1945 contract had a completely different designed spec label than their 1944 contract! Also cool to see the liner in the 1945 contract is similar in color to the liner in your jacket.
As long as the goatskin's in sound condition, these wartime USN jackets make beautiful restorations.

Members online

Latest posts