• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gordon and Ferguson M422a

P2725TMB

I mentioned in members bios that I've just re-joined the forum after a few years sabbatical, the impulse being an 'impulse buy' of a rather nice size 42 G&F M-422a recently. Here's some pics. I bought it from Andrew "Roughwear" and, to be honest, probably paid too much, but it is what it is and I'm happy.

The best bit about the jacket is the leather, which has an amazing shine and is a very nice brown tone (the first pic gives the most accurate colour). I also really like the 'old teddy bear' fur too, but it looks like the fur has been repaired a bit, which is concerning. I asked Andrew but he says he hasn't touched it. It's ok, but maybe a bit fragile. The jacket is totally original, with good conditioned cuffs and waist, which retains a lot of elasticity.

However, I don't think the label is original to the jacket, as it seems to be much too worn for a jacket that has clearly not been used much. That said it’s a mystery to me why such a nice jacket would've lost its label in the first place, as I find it hard to believe it would've been transferred to a better one.

It’s a perfect fit for me, but I won't wear it too much, as it’s just too nice! I’ve probably owned about twenty G&F M-422as in the past, including some amazing conditioned ones, but overall think this is the nicest.

I’m gathering from this thread it was owned by Bazelot before Roughwear?

B-Man2

That’s a fine looking G&F. I have a W&G in similar condition. Like you, I don’t wear it often as it’s a real gem and I’d like to keep it looking that way. Any chance of seeing a fit picture?

B-Man2

Wrist watches and wrist knits are not compatible. I never wear a watch with any of my jackets.

P2725TMB

Unfortunatly watches have become a bug with me which I've invested a lot of money into, so to not wear one just isn't on. Most of my other jackets have replacement cuffs, which seem more robust and are (annoyingly) looser in fit, so less likely to be damaged, and less important if they are.

I don't know whether things have improved nowadays, but when I collected jackets before it seemed impossible to get decent quality repro cuffs and waistband replacements. I did have a small stock of 'deadstock' orignals, but they are long gone.

B-Man2

There’s a fellow on EBay who has some decent knits reasonably priced. A lot of the guys here including myself have purchased his knits and are happy with them. They are pretty close in accuracy as well. I’ll see if I can locate his add if you’d like.

B-Man2

I’m pretty sure this is the guy
1B802B42-D421-4084-B273-16A360CCCA7E.png

P2725TMB

Thanks, I really like the one you posted pics of recently too. There's something tactile about old aged leather. Maybe its just me, but I find it relaxing to 'massage' it.