• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodyear Rubber Company Barnstormer Info...

VillainOfNash

Hey all, I recently picked this up and was curious about possibly gleaning some more information about it. Have any of you run across this label before?

upload_2018-11-25_1-7-45.jpeg

upload_2018-11-25_1-8-45.jpeg

upload_2018-11-25_1-9-5.jpeg

Ken at Aero Leather

Hey all, I recently picked this up and was curious about possibly gleaning some more information about it. Have any of you run across this label before?

View attachment 11942

View attachment 11943

View attachment 11944

The jacket is stunning, the style ran through between the wars, the labelling style says 1920s although in nearly 50 years of handling US Vintage, I've never seen that label. At a guess I'd say it was a promotional piece, maybe one of a hundred ot two for Goodyear dealerships, not an uncommon practice.
Aero have done a few repros of these, this being the closest at the moment
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3139
We gave the style the name "Barnstormer" when we first reproduced these in the mid 1980, this has now become the generic name for this style.
If you are thinking of selling it and it happened to be my size, 38"/40" I'd be very interested

VillainOfNash

The jacket is stunning, the style ran through between the wars, the labelling style says 1920s although in nearly 50 years of handling US Vintage, I've never seen that label. At a guess I'd say it was a promotional piece, maybe one of a hundred ot two for Goodyear dealerships, not an uncommon practice.
Aero have done a few repros of these, this being the closest at the moment
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3139
We gave the style the name "Barnstormer" when we first reproduced these in the mid 1980, this has now become the generic name for this style.
If you are thinking of selling it and it happened to be my size, 38"/40" I'd be very interested

Hey Ken,

I appreciate the information, and the history behind the barnstormer name as well. You’ve been instrumental in the leather jacket world in ways that most of us can only imagine.

I took some measurements on the jacket since they weren’t too prevalent on putting size tags on jackets that far back. I’d consider the possibility of selling it, although I’d like to find out a bit more history on it before I do (since I’ve never seen one of these Goodyear labels before) and don’t have any idea what something like it might bring on the open market.

I sent an email to Goodyear Tire Company corporate offices and they sent me over to the University of Akron (Ohio) which now houses all of the historal information and databases on Goodyear since they closed down their museum.

Either way, the measurements (as close as my non-professional tape measure would exact) were:

Collar to Hem: 27 3/4”
Shoulder to Shoulder: 16 1/2”
Shoulder to Wrist: 25”
Pit to Pit: 19”

Thanks for all you’ve done and continue to do for the leather jacket community and the preservation of its history along the way for generations to follow.

-Kyle

VillainOfNash

Beautiful coat and looks to be in wonderful condition. If that fits you you'd be bonkers to let it go.

Thanks Smithy, it is in really good condition other than some heavy wear on one of the upper arms...unfortunately I’m a pretty solid 44 and this one is quite a bit small on me.