• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear's most accurate repro

A

Anonymous

Which contract do you think John has reproduced most accurately?
I mean, he reproduced all of them exactly, but which jacket from those appearing on his website you look at and think you are looking at an original?

For me it's the Star.

A

Anonymous

On second thought, maybe he makes the epaulet bigger.

I wouldn't know about Doni as haven't handled an original.

Dr H

The images of the two jackets from which the original repros were cloned are pretty convincing.

Persimmon

PLATON said:
I mean, he reproduced all of them exactly, but which jacket from those appearing on his website you look at and think you are looking at an original?

For me it's the Star.

Are they not all accurate but as soon as we custom fit them with our measurements then they become less so ?

Shorter length, longer length, adjust arm length to ...., more room on the pit to pit etc, etc
All of these adjustments in the material shape create areas of adjustment elsewhere to compensate

767fo

Persimmon said:
PLATON said:

For me it's the Star.

Are they not all accurate but as soon as we custom fit them with our measurements then they become less so ?

Shorter length, longer length, adjust arm length to ...., more room on the pit to pit etc, etc
All of these adjustments in the material shape create areas of adjustment elsewhere to compensate

I could be wrong but if you put four originals with the same size tag side by side and measure you would come out with different results. The devil is in the details and nobody does it better than JC.

A

Anonymous

I wasn't talking about fit,
but about details and leather appearance.

Roughwear

Jeff this is true. Originals from the same contract and same tagged size can be all over the place in terms of the measurements. I once owned a RW A2 which was tagged a 44 yet fitted like a 40 and some of their 44s are more like 46s.

johnwayne

Doni for me too but guess I'd need you all to send my your other makers to truly compare - cant say when you might get them back though! 44" 's would be best for real comparisons by the way!!!!!
cheers
Wayne

767fo

I think all of John's contracts are the most accurate repro's you can buy. Here's one of the Doniger :)

e1c032fd4fcb92fc099befefa54743ff.jpg

2jakes

PLATON said:

For me it's the Star.

Based on the above criteria , for me , the Monarch A-2.

Screenshot2013-01-03at84212PM-1.png

Screenshot2013-01-03at83810PM.png

herk115

767fo said:
I think all of John's contracts are the most accurate repro's you can buy. Here's one of the Doniger :)

Interesting. This Doniger looks EXACTLY like the LW Dubow I'm wearing.

PaulGT3

I am a noobie but I am obsessive and I have been reading my eyes out. It would seem to me that the original makers were not so attentive to getting
out the closest copy to the patterns they were making but they were probably more concerned with getting out a quality product out as fast as they could given the wartime conditions. Like some of you stated, originals are all over the place in fit but probably tried to achieve the best quality they could given the quotas they might be held responsible for.
Where as John I think based on the limited number of Goodwears I have seen is bent on producing not only a quality jacket that is true to that contract, but also achieves the highest quality that can possibly be produced in the ways of WWII. To the point the jackets are a work of art. I think the two people probably have two different objectives. One a craftsman proud of their efforts to help the boys over seas, and proud of their products. One an artist trying to be as truthful to the original while maintaining the highest standards achievable where a quota is not a limiting factor.
Having said that I bet John has a favorite.

2jakes

PaulGT3 said:
I am a noobie but I am obsessive and I have been reading my eyes out. It would seem to me that the original makers were not so attentive to getting
out the closest copy to the patterns they were making but they were probably more concerned with getting out a quality product out as fast as they could given the wartime conditions. Like some of you stated, originals are all over the place in fit but probably tried to achieve the best quality they could given the quotas they might be held responsible for.
Where as John I think based on the limited number of Goodwears I have seen is bent on producing not only a quality jacket that is true to that contract, but also achieves the highest quality that can possibly be produced in the ways of WWII. To the point the jackets are a work of art. I think the two people probably have two different objectives. One a craftsman proud of their efforts to help the boys over seas, and proud of their products. One an artist trying to be as truthful to the original while maintaining the highest standards
achievable where a quota is not a limiting factor.
Having said that I bet John has a favorite.

Mr. Chapman & Co. @ Good Wear are highly recommended.
Any questions/issues that you may have , will be promptly
resolved.This world of leather-making would be a better
place if there were more like him. I write from experience .

2jakes

TOMG1401

Do any of us realize what John has REALLY done, I don't mean pumping out repro's that no would thought possible -zero compromise, straight up perfect. He left his position in Frisco went to Seattle, used his "hobby, love, accumulated knowledge, his CD analyzing all aspects of where original and the repro's of them were not making the grade and bet the farm on HIMSELF and succeeded !!!! Bingo American dream. The balls and self confidence alone separate him from the majority on dreaming drones that purchase Goodwears, this is a man that has earned my respect, at every level of his life. Continued propserity to you John....... now all I have to do is aquire one of his jackets, I plan shortly to discuss this with him.

PaulGT3

TOM
you are exactly right. I did this a year ago when I retired. But I bet on Government Contracts and thanks to Obama
I aint doing as well!
Jon is KILLING it!!!