• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear woman's jacket?

Roughwear

watchmanjimg said:
I believe these are perfectly legitimate. At least it's not the first time I've heard of such jackets.

This is correct. Goodwear made an issued Nurses jacket later in the War.

RCSignals

I don't doubt the style is legitimate. Was there a Goodwear Leather coat Co. INC manufacturing these in WW2?

watchmanjimg

RCSignals said:
I don't doubt the style is legitimate. Was there a Goodwear Leather coat Co. INC manufacturing these in WW2?

I assume so, as there was a Goodwear manufacturing knit goods such as this A-4 mechanic's cap:

A4CapLabel.jpg

Roughwear

RCSignals said:

Yes. A B-17 jacket (Nurse's Type) was made by Good Wear Leather Coat Co. Order no. 45-768AF. This contract was placed in the 1945 fiscal year. See p. 301 of Suit Up!

RCSignals

Interesting. In researching the only Goodwear leather company I can find any reference to is John Chapman's

If this jacket on auction is a legitimate WW2 it seems to be a reasonable price at the moment.

TankBuster

As mentioned, this jacket is completely legit, and pretty rare. They normally sell for pretty big $$. This one looks to be in nice condition as well.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Thanks Marcel ... the photo above also appears in Combat Flying Clothing with the following caption.

• WASP pilot of an AT-6 trainer wearing the intermediate flying suit standardized in May 1944. The Type B-16 jacket and A-12 trousers for WASPs resembled the flight nurse's outfit and the intermediate suit worn by male personnel. The shoes are the Type A-16 for WASPs and nurses.

TankBuster

Sold for 1K. No matter how poorly listed, these jackets always fetch good money. I've always had a interest to purchase one as a collectable, but can't get myself to spend the kind of money they bring.