• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoodWear Werber 1402P, Fantastic!!

airfrogusmc

rotenhahn said:
Grant:
Here's a little friendly advice for you - learn to lighten up and accept that some people have opinions that differ from yours.

I'm light- I'm light! I LIKE to argue! :D I'm happy ARGUING! Think My Cousin Vinny-especially living in NYC you should understand that! :D

:shock: Jeff, you like to argue ? :eek: :lol:

airfrogusmc

5e0f_12.jpg

Heres a Dubow with some thin hide.

bseal

No Allen, your GW Dubow has the lightest hide of any A-2 ever made, original or repro. Now just admit it so we can all be friends again. :twisted:

P.S. You know I want the identical jacket.

airfrogusmc

DAMN :x :cry: I know the colors all wrong :cry: so now the weight is to? :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crap I've only had this almost two weeks and I'm already think'n about the next one

A-1 :twisted: :twisted:

If you order a Dubow in this hide YOU WILL LOVE IT.....

Robman

I just noticed the example on the Acme Depot site of the 27798 Dubow. It is described as a darker brown and with thinner than average hide. Oh well.

Chandler

Robman said:
...with thinner than average hide. Oh well.

:D We really need to start a solid definition of "thin." I've yet to get my hands on a micrometer to test my jackets with the formula posted elsewhere (more important things in my life, go figure), but I don't know how you can tell how thin that Dubow is from a picture. And you never answered me when I asked if you could tell which of the 3 jackets I posted was the thinnest hide...

Chandler

airfrogusmc

The only way to really tell is to actually see and hold the jacket. Most originals fall between 2-2 1/2 on the thin side and 3-3 1/2 on the heavy side with probably some examples that would even fall out of those areas. I also think Swing brought up a good point about other factors effecting weight besides just thickness. Allot of repro companies make their jackets heavy and they do it for a market (Japan) that wants heavier, smoother hides, for the most part. Those that want nasty thinner hides 2 1/2 oz range are in the minority (me being one). There are plenty of originals that fall into that category. Actually Marc says its thin...I'll take his word. He's handled it. I'll be seeing Paul in a bit and I'll post some photos for the doubters. Also get your hands on some originals and you'll see. Lay the repros next to'm and you might get a real education. The devil is in the details.

airfrogusmc

Yeah right... :roll: . Well if you've handled enough originals you'd know. I would say that most that I've seen and what Paul would say also becasue he's said it to me many times is most were thinner not like most repros. Most tended to have more grain than most repros. I haven't changed my position. I've also stated that if you look hard enough you'll probably find something that goes against almost everything that most think is right.

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
I've also stated that if you look hard enough you'll probably find something that goes against almost everything that most think is right.

That sort of sounds just like what you started doing, but then that probably just leads us to the logical conclusion: there are too many variables to say that one way is more correct. You think?

Chandler

airfrogusmc

Isn't that what started all of this someone said the leather on a certain jacket was to thin and it was being judged on a photo? I said that most repros (and I was referring to the 27798) were to heavy. I even said at that point you can't tell effectively by photos? I then posted of photo of what appeared to be a thin hide on an original saying I was using the criteria previously set by the first comparison? Am I miss'n sump'm here?

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
Am I miss'n sump'm here?

Just this:

I would say that most that I've seen and what Paul would say also becasue he's said it to me many times is most were thinner not like most repros.

You speak in such wide-ranging generalities all the time, senator, that when it's pointed out it's easy for you to flip flop and point accusing or belittling fingers.

You claim to have seen and felt (though not studied) all these originals, yet you dodge so many other factors that could have effected them after the 60 years you're quick to point out. Not to mention your use of the word "most," most of which you've never seen. I'll stick with the honest studies that have been published.

And if you look back to that "certain question of a certain jacket," it was an honest query that defended the jacket against its detractors more than questioned it (sorry, that was another thread where I - uh, someone defended your jacket).

Chandler

shanghai joe

back on track.........I have a perry which has thick and thin hides...........the right chest panel is of thinner hide than the rest of the jkt!

i rest my case............

airfrogusmc

What generalities? Ok viewer of a dozen originals, you tell me the exact weight, color, zippers used, knit color, grain, collar shape of all Dubow 27798s. If you try to be specific you'd probably be proven wrong. My point is and has been most 27798 repros are to heavy and to smooth compared to most originals. I still say that and stand by it. So whats your point? I've stated mine clearly.

Paul had/has in his collection at any given time more originals than most that post here have ever seen let alone handled and what jacket does he own? And his either owned or seen all the high end repros. He owns GW and I would suggest you go back and read (old forum) what he had to say about it. His opinion should have some weight. (oh I know thats bad)

airfrogusmc

shanghai joe said:
back on track.........I have a perry which has thick and thin hides...........the right chest panel is of thinner hide than the rest of the jkt!

Can't be SJ, different weights all on the same jacket? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ya gotta be more specific. :lol:

shanghai joe

airfrogusmc said:
shanghai joe said:

Can't be SJ, different weights all on the same jacket? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ya gotta be more specific. :lol:

like it says on the tin: caution: thinner right chest panel, collector beware! :D

zoomer

All of which goes to show that there is nothing so small that it can't cause a big disaagreement.

We do it because we care. Just not about one another. :|

machine%20gun.jpg

"Defending Your Jacket"...heeheeheeheeheehee :lol:

airfrogusmc

Can't clearly post your point? :? What is it? I posted mine and thats been it and its been clear all along. One question why are you trying so hard to discredit my opinion about repros? Some of the makers will admit to using heavier, smoother hides for the Japanese market. I know others that post here have also had that same conversation with the makers themselves.

WHATS YOUR POINT? Talk about a politician. :roll: