• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear Goatskin Dubow

A

Anonymous

Gents,

This beauty arrived on February 19, hand delivered by JC himself after his trip to Horween. This one is copied from a size 52 original with 2 fewer inches in the chest. Jacket is a very good fit on me! Some quick notes:

Hide: Pebbly veg tanned goatskin. The pebbling ranges from coarse to fine. The hide also shows evidence of scarring, A-OK in my book.

Zip: NOS Talon. John dyed the zip tape.

Knits: I opted for the purplish knits.

Thread: 100% cotton in a dirty tan color, a lovely contrast against the hide.

Measurements:
Pit to Pit-- 27"
Shoulder seam to cuff end-- 26"
Base of neck to end of waistband-- 27.5"
Windflap length-- 25.5"
Epps (down the center)-- 7 7/8"
Shoulder to shoulder-- 21.5"

And, of course, some pics. The close-up of the zip and the pocket label show the color of the hide most accurately.

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

better duck

Beautiful! I have one on order from John almost the same: Dubow in goat, purplish cuffs and waistband, size 46. I chose to "go Cadillac" on this one, as John put it, by choosing a NOS Crown zip to go with it!
Now I just have to wait a month or three ....

I think I must have posted about the same time as better duck and my post got lost in cyber space, so here goes again.

I've also got a goatskin Dubow on order from John- though his new horsehide is SERIOUSLY tempting. I have also opted for a "Cadillac" job, or maybe a LaSalle(the cheaper brand under Cadillac in the 30s-40s)- with a NOS Talon. ;)

Personally, if anybody is still on the fence about Good Wear, these recent photos and JC's reputation for customer friendly service should get them on board. I have been an A-2 lover for almost twenty years, but I thought long and hard before placing my first order for a high end A-2 repro. Rural beat cops in North Carolina have to be frugal !

Good Wear was the first repro maker to make me say, "Yep, I HAVE to have one of those, damn the price." I've looked at a lot of A-2s here on the last three VLJs and on ebay and elsewhere on the net, and I never could quite see dropping the money on most of the repros I saw. Matter of fact, it was Irvin Andrew's Doniger in that amazing goatskin that really decided me on placing a Good Wear order.

John has been a pleasure to deal with and very patient in getting the details of my jacket right. He seems to realize that for many of us, this is a big chunk of change and he seems to really want his customer to be happy.

Can't wait to get mine. Add me to the list of Good Wear customers patiently- for the most part- waiting for that treasure to show up on the doorstep!

A

Anonymous

I'm still contemplating getting a Goodwear Aero. In fact, that was my first choice until I tried on the original Dubow last year. A dark russet grainy HH Aero with rust cuffs. . . . sweet!