• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear Dubow (pre-production)- Can't leave it alone...

fishmeok

I have had one of John's pre-production Dubows for almost a year, and unfortunately I'm one of those guys who just can't leave well enough alone. I've washed it, shrunk it, shrunk it again, beat the hell out of it, and now after seeing a couple originals I've decided I want it to be a little darker. I don't want it to be as dark as a respray, so I didn't want to hit it with dye, or acrylics like I did to my Avirex (though I'm almost having second thoughts on that- this jacket with the red knits would look amazing done up as a Depot re-spray, and it would wear like an original). I picked up this stuff called "antique finish" from Fiebings that is supposed to adhere to the grooves in the leather and darken the hide. It smells suspiciously like shoe polish, but washes off my hands with water so I'm not entirely sure what is in the stuff. I ended up trying two applications of the goop, using a sheepskin to apply it and really rubbing it in to make sure it darkens the entire jacket, not just get stuck in the cracks. The biggest problem I had was keeping the stuff off the stitches, I was not entirely successful, but I think it turned out well. I like the results, and after a couple weeks the jacket is showing no ill effects and the color looks natural. I still may have to do a Depot Re-Spray at some point though, that would be mghty cool :cool:
Cheers
Mark

Original jacket, original color. It's difficult to give an accurate representation with my crappy camera, but you get the idea.
DSCN2173.jpg

DSCN2317.jpg

DSCN2271.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

As it looks now- again, the true color is kind of the average of the shots:

DSCN3286.jpg

DSCN3290.jpg

DSCN3376.jpg

DSCN3362.jpg

T-Bolt

All in all, Mark.....I think what you have done looks pretty cool. I particularly like the shot of the back of the jacket. The color and graining of the leather is damn nice! :cool:

Ted

Jason

Hi Mark,
I'm quite partial to the lighter coloured hides - my first original Perry is one such beast - but your darkening project looks very natural and very close in colour to my second original Perry... I'd say you've done a great job there!

What hide is your Dubow again? Looks really grainy.... and the darkening of the leather has muted the graininess a little, looks more subtle. I like it, well done.

A

Anonymous

I like the new color, looks great, just needs a name strip/AAF on the shoulder, looks like a late war depot re dye. Its Horse hide right?

better duck

I like the result of your tinkering too! Judging from the photos (and we all know how misleading they can be as to colour) it looks very natural and authentic.

fishmeok

Thanks guys- I don't remember what hide it is, but it's something in a cow. I don't think John uses it anymore, it's a bit too grainy compared to the originals I've seen. But I like it...
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Jason said:
Hi Mark,
I'm quite partial to the lighter coloured hides - my first original Perry is one such beast - but your darkening project looks very natural and very close in colour to my second original Perry... I'd say you've done a great job there!

What hide is your Dubow again? Looks really grainy.... and the darkening of the leather has muted the graininess a little, looks more subtle. I like it, well done.

Jason, can you put up some pics of both your originals? Or are they already here somewhere? I'd like to see the colors.
BTW, how's the L-2A? It's almost nylon season here (we are having a cold wet spring)
Cheers
Mark

Jason

Sure, here we go:
Perry16175Psize42004.jpg

Perry16175Psize42007.jpg

The L2A got a little wear, we had a very short Autumn (Fall) here - it went pretty much straight from Summer to Winter here this year. Its A-2 weather - and soon will be G-1, B-15 and Irvin weather!

Chandler

To remain consistent to my (mis)perceived prejudices, I'll start by saying that jacket looks terrible!! ;)

But in all honesty, that's a pretty sweet looking A-2. More and more, I'm convinced more steerhide was used on original A-2s than we probably ever thought.

Chandler

fishmeok

Thanks Jason- I'm pretty happy now, the Dubow turned out better than I thought, accuracy-wise when compared to your Perry. I think it will wear in like your Perry too, with the light color underneath showing through. I'm hoping to get that translucent look eventually.

Interesting the different pocket shapes on your jackets, one is more pointed, the darker looks like it has more curve. Have you ever done a side-by-side close up and compared the differences? Then taken pics so we can all see (hint)? :D

Since I've been experimenting with this stuff I've really been noticing the hides that I see in supply and fabric stores. Except for the real small goat grains much of the cow is indistinguishable from many of the jackets I have seen. And trying to sew this stuff myself gives me great appreciation for what Chapman has been able to do- his machine is newer than mine by several decades, but we both have fairly generic industrial machines that require a LOT of practice and patience to work with. It's a lot of fun, and a perfect hobby for those of us with the OCD gene. :lol:

Cheers
Mark

dujardin

hello,

splendid jacket; good work for a good result.

ps : your dog is also splendid, real clone of mine.

byeeeeeeeeee marcel