• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear B-10

DJS48

Hello All,
Anyone have any info regarding the status of John Chapman's new Goodwear B-10? Last communication was in Aug/September and subsequent inquiries went unanswered.

Regards,
Don

DJS48

I did hear from John this afternoon and my last message to GW was in Feb. of this year.
Regards, Don

Dany McDonald

Hi,

I would very much like to acquire a B-10 repro and the Goodwear sounds like a solid choice for authenticity.

Pilot, can you post a pic? And how to order?

How does it compare with an original?

Thank you,

Dany

Pilot

Hi,

I would very much like to acquire a B-10 repro and the Goodwear sounds like a solid choice for authenticity.

Pilot, can you post a pic? And how to order?

How does it compare with an original?

Thank you,

Dany
Hi Dany,
my jacket a.m. is a GW RW 27752....I mentioned that I contacted successfully John, since apparently many others could not.
My actual B-10 is from RMC’s Japan and were from BR and ELC.
Thes best B-10 I ever owned ( compared to the same WW2 original) is from RMC’s Japan...its a keeper!
I was in contact with John yesterday...but for other things.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

I understand. Sorry for the confusion.

Still, sure wish I could get more info on the elusive GW B-10. I've tried to open a channel of communication with them on a couple of occasion and radio silence since.

I see RMC and they look nice, the ELC looks like a stunner for authenticity, color and overall attention to details.

Anyways, thank you for your time.

Dany

Pilot

I understand. Sorry for the confusion.

Still, sure wish I could get more info on the elusive GW B-10. I've tried to open a channel of communication with them on a couple of occasion and radio silence since.

I see RMC and they look nice, the ELC looks like a stunner for authenticity, color and overall attention to details.

Anyways, thank you for your time.

Dany
No worries,
coming to the B-10’s if I may be allowed to compare...the RMC-J is by far more accurate...especially if fleece, alpaga liners, colors in general, cotton and studs are compared....The black ( but also the white ) label Stagg from RMC -J is unbeatable...

Pilot

Would say the RMC is more accurate than the ELC?

Dany
Having handled both and compared with the ww2 originals ( in smaller sizes though...as usual in Japanese militaria and Americania shops...)...YES! without a glimpse of hesitation.

TankBuster

Late to the game here. I would disagree with a couple of the above cooments. I've owned many original B-10's (Still have a rare original sz 44) and most of the repros. ELC is above and beyond any of the others I have tried. Honestly, the ELC B-10 repro is as close to the real deal as you can get without being the real deal. If price isn't a concern and accuracy matter, buy the Eastman.

J

Dany McDonald

Hello J,

Never too late for info!

It's primarily because of accuracy that I am choosing with precaution which B-10 repro I am going to buy. I also find it fun to compare repros with photos of originals.

Yes I also think ELC B-10 looks like the most accurate, but the late offerings has a clown red collar, that I cant match with originals. I found a good deal (ELC) on ebay but the collar will need to be change, if accuracy is important.

Look at this image, can you match the color of the mouton with an original? I've seen B-15 with reddish mouton, but not that red...

ELC-B-10.jpg

Thank you,

Dany

Pilot

Same, 100% agree. Collar is too redish...good for a B-15 but not for a RW B-10...Plus the Eastman studs have “ELC” markings and not “ DOT” or “United Carr”.on the inside pockets. Also, I am not sure if the stud size is correct if compared to the original RW B-10...IMHO no.
This ELC stud marking is on all ELC jackets not only B-10....Good thing on the B-10 you only see it when opening the liner( who does that anyway?...but for the sake of accuracy if important)...on the A-2’s you see the ELC stud marking inside the pockets...
Dont like the ELC alpaca either...not as per my RW original.....but thats me...There are experts here...

Last edited:

Geeboo

picture tells the truth. if someone can post their ELC & RMC for the same shot for comparison, we can tell which is better.
Front full shot, back full shot, half collar close-up, label close up, stud back & front, zipper box close up, pen slot pocket close-up, rear back collar in full, lining bottoming shot, pocket lining shot. that's about it.:)

Pilot

picture tells the truth. if someone can post their ELC & RMC for the same shot for comparison, we can tell which is better.
Front full shot, back full shot, half collar close-up, label close up, stud back & front, zipper box close up, pen slot pocket close-up, rear back collar in full, lining bottoming shot, pocket lining shot. that's about it.:)
I have my Stagg B-10 from RMC-Japan left...all others (BR and ELC) B-10´s were sold, I did not like the ELC (same points as am) and the BR RW became too tight but of much better quality than the ECL-B-10...(fur collar, alpaga liner, fabric, studs etc)... No Problem for the Stagg B-10 pics if of interest...but in day light only...to do justice to its quality... (in Asia its already dark right now).

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

I do not own an original B-10 but own two pairs of A-9 and I am speaking from comparing pictures gathered on the internet. So take this with a grain of salt...

To my untrained eye, BR, RMC and TMC (Toy Mccoy) current offerings are patch works of different manufacturers characteristics.

Rib color is either too dark or just not period correct (BR jade green seen on B-15) (RMC dark red brown instead of a pale chocolate)... ELC has a nice sage green that we see a lot on originals.
Zippers are nickel plated (should be brass Conmar or Talon).
Cloth is either too pale and yellowish or too dark green.
Tag is not accurate, Toy Mccoy instead of real manufacturer name.
Alpaca color is all over the place.
Some buttons are really too pale some times. Not the mid yellow/orange we find on Sovereign...
Most collars are nice!

Funny thing is RMC did produced all variation of most manufacturers characteristics at one point. They could be on par with ELC if they wanted. Toy Mccoy too have a nice B-10, color wise (ribs and cloth).

So presently, I think ELC has the most (not perfect) B-10, except for that disturbing collar...

Hope I make sens this morning, please correct me if needed!

Dany