• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear Aero A-2 Jacket identification.

jgrando518

Hey guy! I'm new here and was looking for some help. I recently acquired a Goodwear Aero A-2. I was wondering if I could get some help in aging the jacket and determining whether it is horse hide or cow hide. the Jacket is a little too big on me so I may have to let it go so i wanted to try to get some more information on it. Thanks in advance!
a2.jpg
a2-2.jpg

a2-3.jpg

a2-6.jpg
a2-4.jpg

mulceber

Horse and cow present in a very similar way. When he was making his A-2 guide, Gary Eastman actually had to do DNA tests to verify that some A-2 jackets were made of cowhide. I'm inclined to say this is horsehide, just because JC tends to use that more than cowhide, but really the only way to tell for sure would be to ask him.

Also, congrats on getting a very nice jacket!

Last edited:

jgrando518

Horse and cow present in a very similar way. When he was making his A-2 guide, Gary Eastman actually had to do DNA tests to verify that some A-2 jackets were made of cowhide. I'm inclined to say this his horsehide, just because JC tends to use that more than cowhide, but really the only way to tell for sure would be to ask him.

Also, congrats on getting a very nice jacket!
Hey thanks so much for the quick response! Jacket is incredible. Just slightly big on me unfortunately. I’ve been trying to contact Goodwear for a little while now and haven’t been able to get in touch. Really want to get a jacket built to my specs. There’s no horse hide labels attached so some suggested it was probably cow hide...not sure if that holds water or not...

mulceber

That makes some sense. I'd say email him intermittently and see if you can eventually get a response. He's extremely busy making jackets, so he's not always quick on the response, but he tries to get back to people. Out of curiosity, what are the measurements on that one?

jgrando518

Chest is approx 22.75
Shoulder 19.5
Sleeve 25.25 to the end of the knit
Length 23.25 to the base of the knit from collar seam. If you know of anyone who may be interested I’m looking to sell!

B-Man2

I’m pretty sure this is Horsehide because the jacket dates back to the 2011 -2014 time frame when JC leased the rights from Aero to use the Aero name . It was short lived however, and he went back to using the Acme name afterward . During that time the DNA testing results weren’t well known and most if not all GWs were made from Horsehide .
That’s it from me :)

jgrando518

That makes some sense. I'd say email him intermittently and see if you can eventually get a response. He's extremely busy making jackets, so he's not always quick on the response, but he tries to get back to people. Out of curiosity, what are the measurements on that one?
And thank you again for responding! I should just be emailing Goodwears email from their website?

mulceber

I’m pretty sure this is Horsehide because the jacket dates back to the 2011 -2014 time frame when JC leased the rights from Aero to use the Aero name . It was short lived however, and he went back to using the Acme name afterward . During that time the DNA testing results weren’t well known and most of not all GWs were made from Horsehide .

Great reasoning, Burt! I think that's your answer, jgrando.

Chest is approx 22.75
Shoulder 19.5
Sleeve 25.25 to the end of the knit
Length 23.25 to the base of the knit from collar seam. If you know of anyone who may be interested I’m looking to sell!

That actually would fit me pretty well. I've bought a lot of jackets in the last year, so I should probably hold off at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind if it doesn't sell soon. What sort of price are you looking for?

jgrando518

I’m pretty sure this is Horsehide because the jacket dates back to the 2011 -2014 time frame when JC leased the rights from Aero to use the Aero name . It was short lived however, and he went back to using the Acme name afterward . During that time the DNA testing results weren’t well known and most if not all GWs were made from Horsehide .
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

jgrando518

You guys rock!!
Great reasoning, Burt! I think that's your answer, jgrando.

That actually would fit me pretty well. I've bought a lot of jackets in the last year, so I should probably hold off at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind if it doesn't sell soon. What sort of price are you looking for?
Awesome. im sure i could give you a pretty good deal on it if you change your mind!

Dom

My GW has a patch in one of the pockets that says it’s horsehide.

Attachments

• 71256BFF-B9F5-456E-A7CE-4BE55EC20DA7.jpeg
    71256BFF-B9F5-456E-A7CE-4BE55EC20DA7.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 179

ausreenactor

Hey guy! I'm new here and was looking for some help. I recently acquired a Goodwear Aero A-2. I was wondering if I could get some help in aging the jacket and determining whether it is horse hide or cow hide. the Jacket is a little too big on me so I may have to let it go so i wanted to try to get some more information on it. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 54431View attachment 54432
View attachment 54433
View attachment 54435View attachment 54434
With the good label! Score!