• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear A-1 On the Way

Atticus

CBI said:
I just got a great GW A-1 in the mail today. I don't remember ordering it. John messed up the address and spelled my name wrong (how did he come up with Geoff?) Anyway, its a nice jacket, just don't tell Chapman anything about this ............................... ;)

I know this can't be true because if it was, you would have also mentioned being the happy new possessor of favorite CWU-36/P...which I sent to John for sizing reference and which is now lost in the same package. :(

AF

Chandler

Atticus said:
But the energetic people at the post office knew nothing and had few suggestions for help.

Three biggest lies in the world:
The check is in the mail, the package is on the truck, and "I'm from the federal government, and I'm here to help you."

Bah.

Chandler

Atticus

Well....no jacket again today. It is clearly MIA. John says it is insured, but I'm not looking forward to another eight to twelve month wait for him to make another one.

On the bright side, I just picked up a mint Carter Industries CWU-36/P that had been mis-listed as a "POLOT JACKET" on e-bay. I paid a whopping $9.99 plus shipping. It's 1993 issue, but I really don't think it has ever been worn.

At least now I'll have a jacket to wear when the winds blow cold this winter.

AF

Atticus

If you work at the post office...you might want to quit reading this post right now and go fondle your AK-47, or take a nap or do something else even less productive.

I've found my A-1. At least I think I have. About three-thirty this afternoon Robyn, my paralegal, called my courtroom and told me that some guy from New Bern's main post office had just called and said that they were holding a package for me. She said that the guy was a little curt on the phone because the package had been there almost a week and nobody had come to pick it up. They were about ready to put it in the dead package bin.

Yes, you read correctly. Little hick-ass New Bern has two post offices. One is downtown and the other is across town. The downtown post office serves.....well, it serves the downtown (such as it is) including the courthouse. It always has. Of course, that's the office that Robyn went to Tuesday trying to determine the whereabouts of my jacket. If you've followed this thread, you already know that the energetic balls-of-fire there knew nothing about my A-1 and cared even less. Sadly, had Floyd or Gomer summons the energy to pick up the phone and dial their main post office, it is remotely possible that someone would have awakened long enough to let them know that my jacket was there....and had been there since Friday.

This afternoon court looked like it would run until at least five o'clock, and it did. But I wasn't worried...New Bern's main post office stays open until six. It always has. I would zip by on my way home from work and would be posting pictures of my A-1 tonight.

So when I arrived at the main post office at five-twenty this afternoon, there was a large, government issued sign on the door plainly stating that the main post office was open from nine AM until six PM on weekdays. But someone had taped a small, hand-written "5" over the six and the office was dark and closed.

Floyd had left the building.

AF

zoomer

The obvious conclusion is that somebody at the post office wants your A-1, and is contriving to do everything in his power to make you give up on ever retrieving it. His next move may very well be to bribe a judge to detain you, or stuff a potato up your exhaust pipe. (The postal guy, I mean, not the judge. Nothing you could give a judge would induce him to stuff a potato up an exhaust pipe.)

Vcruiser

I figure that "main office" postal clerk is surely a transplant. Check for an accent! Probably he's a damn republican Yankee..ya reckon :?:
VB

hacker

Vcruiser said:
I figure that "main office" postal clerk is surely a transplant. Check for an accent! Probably he's a damn republican Yankee..ya reckon :?:
VB

I got a cuz workin' at the New Bern P.O.....but what's the chances?............neh......

....ehhh....what size was that anyway? :twisted:

A1Yankee

Andrew

Heaven help Gomer from the Post Office should he ever find himself in the dock of the New Bern Courthouse...

John Lever

Difficult one this. You could say nothing and merely pick up the parcel when the PO next opens. Or you make a complaint and get someone fired and make an enemy for life. Next time you may never see any parcel at all.
At least over here they actually deliver to your door, unless there is a charge of some kind.
It's worth the wait I can tell you. As with many things, anticipation is everything.

kkochheiser

This is the US Postal Service we're talking about here, nobody EVER gets fired even if they don't show up for work for years!

My local Post Office did the same trick of setting their own hours by taping up a small sign. They also arbitrarily close early before holidays.

Kent

Lignemaginot

Just to defend my local post Office people - I've never had any issues with the service here in Rhode Island. Luxembourg was fine, too. The UK, on the other hand, is a shambles.

Swing

Atticus said:
If you work at the post office...you might want to quit reading this post right now and go fondle your AK-47, or take a nap or do something else even less productive.

I've found my A-1. At least I think I have. About three-thirty this afternoon Robyn, my paralegal, called my courtroom and told me that some guy from New Bern's main post office had just called and said that they were holding a package for me. She said that the guy was a little curt on the phone because the package had been there almost a week and nobody had come to pick it up. They were about ready to put it in the dead package bin.

If I were you, I'd raise Holy Hell with the local Post Master. You live in a small town, I'm sure the post office knows who you are, and you'd already brought it to their attention that you were looking for the package. No excuse for them not getting it to you four or five days ago.

~Swing