• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear 1933 Werber

zhz44

After two years of waiting, it finally here.

The jacket is made with Italian HH, super nice leather, lots grain, soft, correct thickness, I just love it. John used vintage snap on the jacket, and a retro hockless zipper, I have to say, the zipper is not very easy to use.

As for the fit, I gave John all my body measurements and let him do all the rest. The jacket is a bit longer than I like an A2 to be, but not too bad.

CBI

looks terrific! put some candle wax on the zipper. In re the length, it looks great and I'll bet in the end you will be glad its a hair longer

seres

Beautiful Werber!

I have an Eastman Werber with the retro Hookless zipper. In the beginning the zip gave me problems, mainly with how the slightly curved pin fit into the box. But the more I worked with it, the problems disappeared. In my case, it was all operator error.

And as CBI said, use a little candle wax to smooth things out.

Smithy

Wow, that's an absolute cracker! I too think the length is good, especially when you think it'll "tuck up" a bit with wear. Honestly don't second guess that one, it's a beauty.

CBI

I had a 33 or 36 GW Werber with the same zipper issue, ended up fine. Love the knits BTW

zhz44

Thank you all for the reply. After reviewing some vintage photos, I think the length is good since I like this kind of vintage look.

Falcon_52

Simply beautiful. The leather has 10 times more grain on day 1 than my ELC Werber has after 10 years! The fit looks good as well. Enjoy!

Noel

Silver Surfer

i know how we all like grainy hh, but keep in mind that for the most part, pre and early wwll a-2s were made with smoother hh, and a few instances of smoother cow, as that was the premium hide to use. the grainy hides went to civy contractors for sport, hb, and mc jackets. as need for more a-2s became apparent, and the war progressed, and hh became scarcer, all of the types , ie: grainy, scared, smooth, etc were used, not to mention cow and goat. we have the luxury of asking some of the repro makers to use the hides of our choice, and some of the makers now use grainier hides as a matter of course. somehow, i dont think a guy fresh out of flight school, lined up at the quarter master's distribution area had the option of asking for a specific jacket make, color or type of hide. they got what they got. personally, i have come to like the smoother hh for pre-early war a-2 repros, which develop their own graininess, and creasing with usage.

Roughwear

I agree Vic. the few original 33 Werbers I have seen had a relatively smooth hide and Eastman replicate it very well. The knits are correct on the 33 Werber as John replicated the original size 36 use to pattern from.

2BM2K

Lovely jacket!

Sometime ago John Chapman bought a Werber off Ebay (from Gary Eastman). For comparison here are some of the Ebay photo's;

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w4.jpg

w8.jpg

And to finish off a photo dated July 1935 of the same contract;

royce2.jpg