• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear M-422

airfrogusmc

DUBOWA2 said:
Hi Allen that was quick ,thanks .Jeff

Jeff I was already uploading the 2nd post when you posted. The jacket is BEAUTIFUL..
The goat is thich but not stiff. The little things like the pocket in the lining and the short attached storm flap make this jacket VERY COOL and unusaual.

Maverickson

Wow, what a wonderful jacket. It looks like it the real deal or for that matter maybe even better :cool: . You have got to love those USN jackets! Now that I have a worthy comparison lets see if I can't duplicate your jackets look with my original Willis & Geiger same big boy size but in my case a M-422A. I do not believe that it gets any better. Way to go!

Cheers, Dave

airfrogusmc

Maverickson said:
Wow, what a wonderful jacket. It looks like it the real deal or for that matter maybe even better :cool: . You have got to love those USN jackets! Now that I have a worthy comparison lets see if I can't duplicate your jackets look with my original Willis & Geiger same big boy size but in my case a M-422A. I do not believe that it gets any better. Way to go!

Cheers, Dave

Dave those original W&G are really sweet. Grant has a killer W&G...
Chris also has a very nice G&F 422a. And Robman has an original size 48 G&F 422a. I think he bought it from JC...

blaze424

First one out of the chute and it is a beaut.

But....

...I don't mean to put the turd in the punchbowl, but the pockets appear small compared to the overall size of the jacket.

I seem to recollect that, regardless of size, pockets were never scaled up or down depending upon the size of the jackets made by original manufacturers. In other words, that the original manufacturers had one size of pocket for G-1s (and 55J14/M-422s) and used the same size regardless of whether the jacket was sized 36 or 48.

Is this true?

Perhaps, the pockets seeming (to me) to be too small is merely a function of them being a fixed size and placed on a size 52 jacket.

I've seen some original, early G-1s sized 36 and 38 and the pockets seemed HUGE.

Or - do I just need to get my weary old eyes checked?

airfrogusmc

They look to be in proportion as compared to Rogers original... ;)

And maybe were just used to seeing pockets on Navy jacket repros that are oversized...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
blaze424 said:
... the original manufacturers had one size of pocket for G-1s (and 55J14/M-422s) and used the same size regardless of whether the jacket was sized 36 or 48.

Is this true?

Yes ...

airfrogusmc

Yeah it doesn't go all the way down and its a seperate piece of leather. Thats one of the quirks of this contract. One other very noticeable quirk is the inside pocket is in the lining not the inside leather trim.

rpmooreii

All of the Monarch Navy jackets have the "short" windflap... that is one of the ways they can be IDed even w/o their label.

airfrogusmc

rpmooreii said:
All of the Monarch Navy jackets have the "short" windflap... that is one of the ways they can be IDed even w/o their label.

Hey Rog whata ya think of this first effort from JC? Did he get it close or no?

Chris217

Allen, That's one bad ass jacket!

J.C. has hit another home run!

Can't wait to see it after it gets broken in.

rpmooreii

Hi Allen,

Killer jacket; I knew John would do a great job on a Navy jacket. I wish I could give a good assessment between my orig and John's repro but John still has my original so my only comparison would be from memory or photos that I took before I sent it to him. As others have mentioned, I would love to see pics of your jacket as worn.

I have always been partial to original Navy jackets (thus my revolving collection of over 100!) but this is the first Navy repro that I would consider buying. It really looks awesome!

Enjoy it.

...Roger

pietro.242

Small update (from Good Wear Leather site) > "after dye"

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/M422_01_46/After_Dye/

Monarch_Front.jpg

...It looks incredible!

bseal

Ahh, but you could see he couldn't have been bothered to even dye the leather puller on the zipper, therefore this M422 is unworthy of any further serious discussion.