• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Hercules

Jonesy86

I'm having fun learning about this reproduction of a 1938 Sears offering made by Monarch. Trying to find out more about the double needle machines used to sew the French seams. This Horween Mustang horsehide is absolutely beautiful. I just love this jacket!

IMG_7866.JPG

IMG_7865.JPG

1263844_863469877016638_5340662149121290726_o.jpg

18fcd3fdf8cd25e8c6178613d321655e.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    356.8 KB · Views: 340

Silver Surfer

shake daves tree for all thing monarch, and all things vintage sewing machines. if i am not mistaken, he has posted monarch builds, and alot of machine-technique posts with pix. your jacket looks even better then the ads, or for that matter, originals, due to the fact that it actually fits well,, is not short, and does not have that ride up the back shrinkage that 1930s-40s jackets have. some repro makers make their jackets short in the back, thinking that is how it was done originally. not. btw, the contrasting stitching really sets off the detailing. kickass civy

Silver Surfer

btw, sears, the once great catalog co. has always farmed out their offerings, in appliances, clothing, tools, etc. they would [still do] contract out to different suppliers, and test the samples in house. if sears was happy with the goods, they would [do] offer them with a sears label. for over 80 year, consumers associated the sears label with value, quality and service. thus, all of the leather civy and mc jackets offered by sears over the many years were made by several sub contractors, and had names like hercules, rich-sher, wind ward, etc. regrettably, sears is on the ropes, as they never figured out modern marketing, chinese market entry, and they let their quality control go south. to some degree, the quality control is back [i own sears appliances], but it may be too little, too late for sears.

Maverickson

Hi Jonesy,

What a fantastic looking jacket!

Notice that ($7.85) first jacket example shows French seams utilized for the sleeve's reinforcing seam. I've seen this done before by Monarch. No doubt earlier than 1938 & something to aspire too!

Cheers, Dave

Jonesy86

btw, sears, the once great catalog co. has always farmed out their offerings, in appliances, clothing, tools, etc. they would [still do] contract out to different suppliers, and test the samples in house. if sears was happy with the goods, they would [do] offer them with a sears label. for over 80 year, consumers associated the sears label with value, quality and service. thus, all of the leather civy and mc jackets offered by sears over the many years were made by several sub contractors, and had names like hercules, rich-sher, wind ward, etc. regrettably, sears is on the ropes, as they never figured out modern marketing, chinese market entry, and they let their quality control go south. to some degree, the quality control is back [i own sears appliances], but it may be too little, too late for sears.
Sears opened a store in downtown Oakland in 1930. Building is still there.
e3bc32d5ea61ab365b02aabd0a45aefd.jpg

Jonesy86

Hi Jonesy,

What a fantastic looking jacket!

Notice that ($7.85) first jacket example shows French seams utilized for the sleeve's reinforcing seam. I've seen this done before by Monarch. No doubt earlier than 1938 & something to aspire too!

Cheers, Dave

Good eye and attention to detail. Not unlike the sewers and artists of 80 years ago. Cheers. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk