• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear "Combat Clone" A-2

CBI

I really like this idea and IMO these jackets don’t hit their stride/classic look until well-worn. I think some owners don’t want to break in such an expensive item. From a customer standpoint, it might be really nice to get the broken in look instantly out of the box! I’m not sure these would be any cheaper as the materials would be the same and time. Simply another great addition to the GW catalog!

ButteMT61

I'm pretty sure the line as such is going to be done by the guy(s) in apprentice mode. I mean, why would a man of JC's skills dumb-down his talent to make this model? And I'm not sure anyone would pay the same price or even close for this. I could be totally wrong, and hopefully if I'm incorrectly speculating, JC will chime in and set me straight. I'm just looking and reading between the lines - maybe too much, but I hope not as my intent is not to misinform.

unclegrumpy

CBI said:
I really like this idea and IMO these jackets don’t hit their stride/classic look until well-worn. I think some owners don’t want to break in such an expensive item. From a customer standpoint, it might be really nice to get the broken in look instantly out of the box! I’m not sure these would be any cheaper as the materials would be the same and time. Simply another great addition to the GW catalog!

I agree with you 100%.

One point I disagree with ButteMT61, is the idea that you can hand $600 to $1500 jackets off to an apprentice with a piece of sandpaper, and think you are going to get a good result. JC's test "Clone" works because of his skillful hand, artists eye, and years of handling original jackets. That is not say someone could not be trained, but I don't think it will be easy.

One thought I had before your post CBI, is maybe you should be the Clone Master. You have done some masterful aging jobs over the years, and have a very good eye for it. I am not suggesting HWTs or runs though your washing machine, but would not rule much else out.

ButteMT61

unclegrumpy said:
CBI said:

One point I disagree with ButteMT61, is the idea that you can hand $600 to $1500 jackets off to an apprentice with a piece of sandpaper, and think you are going to get a good result. JC's test "Clone" works because of his skillful hand, artists eye, and years of handling original jackets. That is not say someone could not be trained, but I don't think it will be easy...

Grumpy: JC didn't make it. That's my point. Shows that it passes the test of being pretty damn good :)

unclegrumpy

ButteMT61 said:
Grumpy: JC didn't make it. That's my point. Shows that it passes the test of being pretty damn good :)
I have been focusing the new "cloning" treatment, since JC states that can be applied to any jacket he makes, not the build of this particular example. I agree with you, the assembly looks pretty good if this is an apprentice made jacket.

However, while the master may not have sewn this test jacket together, I bet he did the cloning treatment.

ButteMT61

JC has to do the groundwork for sure. But that treatment is going to be easier to learn than making the jackets will be.
Guessing that will be a journeyman's gig, unless it's a top tier JC jacket.
Also note that this model carries the "Acme" label. More indication of the "budget" direction.

unclegrumpy

ButteMT61 said:
Also note that this model carries the "Acme" label. More indication of the "budget" direction.
There is nothing new or particurly indicative about the "Acme" label, as it has long been the name of the GW version of an Aero....a name that has been off limits, because it is currently being used by another company.

I have not been following the development of the new "off the rack" jacket, or the reason why the Aero pattern was chosen for this particular test jacket. However, I don't think that it has anything to with being "budget". It more likely has to do with the Aero pattern being one of the most forgiving in it's cut, and having fewer difficult design features to master. It might also just be that jacket was sitting around and got the new cloning treatment.

One aspect of this thread puzzles me. It might simply be that I have missed seeing what the new pricing will be, but I don't see the logic in GW making jackets at the bargain basement price point people are throwing out. The costs of materials and hired labor for assembly of a jacket would still be in the neighborhood of $600, and then you still have to add the cost of the "cloning". That would make $1000 to $1200+ a more logical retail starting point, which would still be a "budget" model compared to the rest of GW the line....especially if one added "cloning" to their selection to complete the comparison.

Skip

ButteMT61 said:
Hey, the nice thing is if he pursues this line, you don't have to buy it! You can still wait and pay the price for a JC work of art. I think it's smart to branch out. Some will like these, some won't. A smart seller sees holes in the market and fills 'em. I think he qualifies.

One of the best things that beens said so far.

.. but the price as Roughwear said would be handy, but all in due time no doubt.

ButteMT61

unclegrumpy said:
ButteMT61 said:
There is nothing new or particurly indicative about the "Acme" label, as it has long been the name of the GW version of an Aero....a name that has been off limits, because it is currently being used by another company.

I have not been following the development of the new "off the rack" jacket, or the reason why the Aero pattern was chosen for this particular test jacket. However, I don't think that it has anything to with being "budget". It more likely has to do with the Aero pattern being one of the most forgiving in it's cut, and having fewer difficult design features to master. It might also just be that jacket was sitting around and got the new cloning treatment.

One aspect of this thread puzzles me. It might simply be that I have missed seeing what the new pricing will be, but I don't see the logic in GW making jackets at the bargain basement price point people are throwing out. The costs of materials and hired labor for assembly of a jacket would still be in the neighborhood of $600, and then you still have to add the cost of the "cloning". That would make $1000 to $1200+ a more logical retail starting point, which would still be a "budget" model compared to the rest of GW the line....especially if one added "cloning" to their selection to complete the comparison.

Maybe you've not followed the GW stuff enough lately to see what's possibly going on...

GW struck an accord with Aero (Ken to be specific). GW will be using the AERO labels going forward for their A-2 models. However, Acme are being used in the Combat Clone. That tells me that this is part of a lineup costing less and taking less time to deliver - made by the apprentice(s). I would imagine Ken agreed to use Aero as JC's jackets are a fine representation of the brand - his brand. The lesser jackets can be given the Acme label and would not have any implications for Aero. Again, I'm taking what's posted and what JC has said publicly and made my own story here. If I'm off, I would sure bet JC will publicly slap me and deservedly so!

Based on emails and PM's, others I know are very interested in this lineup if it bears fruit and the price is right. I can't tell you how many times someone has said "I'd love a Good Wear, but I can't afford the wait or the cost". I don't think anyone feels JC would sell a jacket that is less than acceptable no matter the cost.

unclegrumpy

Interesting....appears I have been out of the loop....again...did not know about the impending wedding or that they were even dating!

I guess we little people all will have to wait for an official public proclamation from Oz and the Land of Haggis to see what the two wizards are really up to. :D

wizard-of-oz.jpg

colekwok

unclegrumpy said:
Interesting....appears I have been out of the loop....again...did not know about the impending wedding or that they were even dating!

I guess we little people all will have to wait for an official public proclamation from Oz and the Land of Haggis to see what the two wizards are really up to. :D

wizard-of-oz.jpg

Aero's line of Military Jackets are now commission to Goodwear? Sounds like a reality?

ButteMT61

That is not what "I" am saying at all. I didn't even infer that. The agreement was to let GW use the AERO labels in AERO models. AFAIK, there's nothing more than that. It's all local to GW from everything I read.

CBI

Hello John C:

Since there is some sincere interest and loads of nonsense, perhaps you can give us the short real version in just a few sentences...................?

Roughwear

ButteMT61 said:
That is not what "I" am saying at all. I didn't even infer that. The agreement was to let GW use the AERO labels in AERO models. AFAIK, there's nothing more than that. It's all local to GW from everything I read.

This is correct Scott. Ken and John struck a deal so John could use authentic Aero Beacon NY labels in his A2s.

ButteMT61

CBI said:
Hello John C:

Since there is some sincere interest and loads of nonsense, perhaps you can give us the short real version in just a few sentences...................?

Not seeing a lot of nonsense. Pretty clear I think.

@Andrew: Thanks for confirming what I believed to be the case.

Roughwear

I suspect JC will be making the Combat Clone jackets himself, at least initially. I'm sure he will confirm this.

FlyingYankee

The more I see it the more I like it. This is how the original jackets came out of the factory , Although I prefer to break in my own jackets most folks just don't have the time if they own many jackets. I think I want one!

B-Man2

I think a Dubow Clone would be my choice....Would love to see one in dark seal with those purple knits.

MikeyB-17

It's interesting that the knits look a bit faded and bobbly, not sure if this has been done before. I always think it's a bit daft having a jacket all beat to hell with bright shiny new knits. Personally I still prefer to buy a new one and do my own beating up.