• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good ways to soften up Italian HH

Marc mndt

I use Urad Tenderly to soften up leather jackets, vintage or new, that won't break in just by wearing them.

IMG_1987.jpeg

bseal

...beyond wear the piss out of it?

I've had my BK Star for about 2 years now, I've worn it ton, sat on it repeatedly, and it still feels pretty stiff compared to my two Horween Good Wears. It may well be just an unusually tough batch of Liberty HH, but does anybody have any tricks for getting leather to soften up?

IMG_0515.gif

London Cabbie

We all just have too many jackets to wear, so they all still look new after years lol
I was looking at my closet the other day and wishing, trying... to find one or two to move on, to make room for the GWs, but I can't. I love em too much.
That’s the jacket addiction curse. The ones I could move won’t make much, so I have half an attic of try on but don’t wear..

London Cabbie

...beyond wear the piss out of it?

I've had my BK Star for about 2 years now, I've worn it ton, sat on it repeatedly, and it still feels pretty stiff compared to my two Horween Good Wears. It may well be just an unusually tough batch of Liberty HH, but does anybody have any tricks for getting leather to soften up?
Stop rushing the process…

dbtk44

Quickest way, without conditioning it....throw it in a dryer, NO HEAT just air fluff, and tumble it for 30min and see how it feels. 60min would be better, but starting off with 30 gives you a good idea how it works.

As long as its on "no heat", the tumbling won't hurt it in any way. If it's worth 30min of your time...I guarantee, you will feel a difference in the softness.

coolhandluke

Did you ever try any of these methods Jan?

Just now seeing this thread. I ended up with the Liberty HH Star in question. I actually used the dryer method on the jacket a few weeks back. I placed it in a king sized pillow case, tied the opening, and ran it on several 30 minute cycles (no heat) with some wool dryer balls thrown in for good measure. The horsehide softened up noticeably. It has a soft, buttery feeling when worn, but still feels a bit stiff at room temperature, when being put on first thing in the morning.

Not sure if you can see much visual difference in the photos below, but the jacket drapes much better after the dryer treatment.

Before

20240111_181938.jpg

After

20240216_185034.jpg

Last edited:

Pa12

Just now seeing this thread. I ended up with the Liberty HH Star in question. I actually used the dryer method on the jacket. I just placed it in a king sized pillow case, tied the opening, and ran it on several 30 minute cycles (no heat) with some wool dryer balls thrown in for good measure. The horsehide softened up noticeably. It has a soft, buttery feeling when worn, but still feels a bit stiff at room temperature, when being put on first thing in the morning.

Not sure if you can see much visual difference in the photos below, but the jacket drapes much better after the dryer treatment.

Before

View attachment 141193

After

View attachment 141195
Cool. Might give it a try.

Thomas Koehle

Just now seeing this thread. I ended up with the Liberty HH Star in question. I actually used the dryer method on the jacket a few weeks back. I placed it in a king sized pillow case, tied the opening, and ran it on several 30 minute cycles (no heat) with some wool dryer balls thrown in for good measure. The horsehide softened up noticeably. It has a soft, buttery feeling when worn, but still feels a bit stiff at room temperature, when being put on first thing in the morning.

Before

View attachment 141193

After

View attachment 141195
Cool outfit mate!