• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good ways to soften up Italian HH

mulceber

...beyond wear the piss out of it?

I've had my BK Star for about 2 years now, I've worn it ton, sat on it repeatedly, and it still feels pretty stiff compared to my two Horween Good Wears. It may well be just an unusually tough batch of Liberty HH, but does anybody have any tricks for getting leather to soften up?

Chandler

Roll it in a ball, tie it with some twine, take it to the local park and pick up a game of soccer. ;)

FWIW -- my ELC 1401 really started showing some grain and wear after I packed it in my luggage for a European trip and back. Dunno if they kicked my duffel around, or what.

mulceber

I might actually - remind me what you did? Did you use detergent (and what type), and I'm assuming the setting was on cold, followed by drying it in the open air?

D97x7

No detergent apart from what was already in the lining that I was trying to clean, yes I used the cold setting if memory serves, it was a few years ago now. Then just hung on the line outside to dry, I'm not sure that it softened much though as it was pretty soft already though wear and my aim was really to freshen the lining which worked a treat.

Brettafett

My BK Liberty HH jackets are not stiff at all, very easy with lots of grain and character, wearing in beautifully.
My favourite A-2 hides ever.

mulceber

Is this the "Liberty Horsehide Seal"?

My BK Liberty HH jackets are not stiff at all, very easy with lots of grain and character, wearing in beautifully.
My favourite A-2 hides ever.
Yeah, I’ve had other BK jackets in Liberty that did soften up pretty well, and I’m told the batch they got in shortly after they made mine is some of the softest ever. For whatever reason, this jacket is a whole other animal (literally and figuratively).

Last edited:

Brettafett

What Ive done is the past also, is wet the jacket on the outside with cool water from a spray bottle.
Then wear it, let it air dry. Ive found in the past, that sometimes help soften up and ease the wear-in.

Jan, which jacket was the badalassi?