• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldtop Merino Submariner

Otter

Has anyone had any experience with these ? I am looking at them on ebay, particularly the black one but there is only one reference on here about them.

B-Man2

Has anyone had any experience with these ? I am looking at them on ebay, particularly the black one but there is only one reference on here about them.
Hi
Please post a link, I’m not sure what company you’re referring to and this would help to answer your question .

Otter

That is their website!

B-Man2

While I’ve never ordered from this company, from the looks of the website photos and information posted, the sweater looks like it would be good value for the money . The free shipping adds a plus as well, if you happen to live in the UK .

B-Man2

That is my thinking as well. The fact that it Merino is icing on the cake.
If you decide to give it a go , please let us know your thoughts once you wear it . Fit pics and a short review are always helpful as well .
Good luck with whatever you decide to do .

Otter

So, back from Florida where I needlessly carried around a Guernsey and my Smock no 1 with unseasonably ably high temperature, hitting 30 degrees in the day falling to 24 at night instead of 22 in the day and 14 at night.
Anyway, have ordered one of these in black, it has been posted and just might be here tomorrow, will post photos when it arrives.

Otter

20211226_124357.jpg
20211226_124326.jpg
20211226_124300.jpg

Otter

Excuse the oose from my duvet ! Quick couple of photos, very pleased with it, a true black colour. Heavy but soft, sizing seems true to a 44 (xl). Would be happy to wear this next to my skin, unlike my Edmund Hillary roll neck!

johnwayne

Look nice and being Merino be mindful how/where you store it - Ive several Merino lightweight cardigans and long sleeved ‘polo’s’ and for sure the friggin moths love ‘em! Suggest moth balls/similar albeit you end up smelling like granny or better still use a proper sealable garment bag!!

Smithy

Looks very good and nice colour as well.

I've got a submariner from Outdoor Knitwear and it's been getting a lot of use here as it's been jolly cold of late.

Very practical jumpers and of course they look great with a leather flying jacket/coat.

bn1966

This looks good, would like one in merino. Had an ELC RAF jumper last year but moved it on due to causing itching and rashes.

bn1966

I’ve some nice woollens in including cashmere and 40’s style woollen tank tops from Aero. They sit in plastic sealed bags in my wardrobe alongside anti moth cassettes from Rentokill. I also spray the wardrobe base with a moth killing spray to stop a ground attack.

Otter

I keep mine on a shelf at the top of my wardrobe, with a scattering of both cedar balls and classic mothballs. Same as my sheepskin, always smelling like Grandma !
This is very nice and soft, better than any other sweater I have, exception being my icebreaker merino baselayer, which is about the same. They trade on eBay as well as direct, even gave me a voucher for free tea if I came to their physical shop. Looked at it, they have some nice gloves.

Silver Surfer

just ordered a black fitted one from gold top. my prob with the majority of "submariner", and other turtle neck [roll top] sweaters [jumpers] is the over lapping shoulder seams and high arm pits......thus a more modern cut will work for me. .....I will have to do something about those silly thumb holes in the cuffs, though.

Otter

From a practicalities in modern outdoor gear I like the thumb hole idea, it works with putting on and off layers. Historic, or older stuff no.

London Cabbie

Fine looking jumper. If you want authentic Submariner only two places do them Silvermans in England or Outdoor Knitwear as mentioned by @Smithy. Sizing is correct to chart. Length is long and correct the Norwegian Submariner is less itchy. Wear a long sleeve polyester T shirt underneath or fine merino if extremely cold. Merino was used by explorers as an under garment, from my understanding…I avoid all washing.

Sideslip

Very nice! FWIW, while I have a thicker Aero submariner, I also wear Uniqlo merino roll necks at £29.90 which are thinner. Paired with a long sleeve merino base layer (you get can get good deals end of winter sales), it means that you can keep warm with less layer thickness which can be more comfortable depending on the jacket. Of course, the Uniqlo is neither submariner nor airman cut but functionally warm.