• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldsmith A-2 Reproduction - Headwind Mfg Co

Officer Dibley

Anyone actually got one with some wear on it ? Be nice to see how the hide looks after 6 months. Hopefully with a bit more character.

Interesting to see the difference with the real one that turned up - looking much more pale/russet

Juanito

Not sure how popular these really are or are going to be, it took us nearly four months to shift the 25, not great for a new Aero design :>( especially considering the hype
At least 4 went to VLJ members, two of which I know rarely post here, not seen any on the used market. We've probably turned down about a dozen potential orders since so there are potential customers out there for Jay's version
I saw one Aero as an unworn resale. It had been made with a custom olive liner. The reason for sale was that is didn't fit, if I recall.correctly. it may have been the eBay one, then again it may have been over at TFL.

Skyhawk

Thats a lovely looking jacket. Great detailing and the leather looks superb. Something different and unique for sure...
(how long till we see 'one of these' come out of the Middle East)...

Our Goldsmiths are doing really well so far. Not sure if it will be attempted by others. This is a really involved and intricate jacket in the details. It took like 7 test jackets to get right. There are a lot of strange little details that are different than other A-2's. It is not just a matter of tweaking an existing A-2 pattern. To get it 100% correct takes time and a lot of study and trial and error. I am finally happy with our reproduction but it was a long process.

Skyhawk

Anyone actually got one with some wear on it ? Be nice to see how the hide looks after 6 months. Hopefully with a bit more character.

Interesting to see the difference with the real one that turned up - looking much more pale/russet

That was a SAT not a Goldsmith. However, we also have a light Russet as seen on post #152 on this thread as another option.

Skyhawk

Actually that is one of the things that makes this contract so cool. There was only 25 made and there has never been one seen in modern times. If one did show up, it would be worth 10's of thousands of dollars and I would be bidding on it!

Actually that is one of the things that makes this contract so cool. There was only 25 made and there has never been one seen in modern times. If one did show up, it would be worth 10's of thousands of dollars and I would be bidding on it!
I bet there’s one or two out there, sitting in some long forgotten trunk in an attic or gathering dust in the back of some collectors closet.

Skyhawk

I bet there’s one or two out there, sitting in some long forgotten trunk in an attic or gathering dust in the back of some collectors closet.
Yes the possibility is there. It makes me excited to think about!! One day one may surface....

Skyhawk

Well that's the type of situation where you sell everything you own to make it work!

That would be once in a lifetime opportunity territory there.

Nickb123

Thanks Burt. I do have a lighter Russet Horse but it is thicker than spec. at about 1.4 -1.5mm. It is very soft though so it is a great hide, just thicker than advertised. This test Goldsmith is in that hide:
View attachment 30201

The hide you have is a Dark Russet, not a Seal shade. I think it is a great match for the SAT shown on the forum and is well within the possible shades for the goldsmith, having also been Russet and only a year earlier.
View attachment 30202

SAT:
View attachment 30203

We have the two choices for now, but I will be looking into some more options for the future as well.

Regards,
Jay

It's 1:20am and like a midnight craving for sweets, I suddenly need one of these. :)

Skyhawk

Any chance you have pictures of an example in the new medium russet HH?
Not yet. We just received the hides. We did make one up in the new Light Russet though. I will post a few pics below.

IMG_20221021_081425892-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20221021_081554765-PhotoRoom.png
IMG_20221021_081713171-PhotoRoom.png
IMG_20221021_081725641-PhotoRoom.png
IMG_20221021_084354461_HDR-PhotoRoom.png
Goldsmith-Collar-Right.png

Goldsmith-Light-Front-2.jpg

Skyhawk

Our custom Goldsmith knits have arrived. We had these made up to match the odd tall flared top that appear on the original. They are 100% wool and match the color we were using. We now have the option to install these historically correct tall ones, or go with standard type. Note the position of where the leather on the sleeve is. It is all the way up to his forearm.
Goldsmith-2.jpg
Goldsmith-Knits.png

Close-up.png