• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldsmith A-2 Reproduction - Headwind Mfg Co

Bombing IP

Epaulettes and Shoulder Straps

Before the Twentieth Century epaulettes and shoulder straps were common devices to signal rank. Epaulettes, from epaule an old French word for shoulder, seem to have started out as cloth straps worn on the shoulders to help keep shoulder sashes and belts in position. Another story has them beginning as pieces of armor to protect the shoulders. By the time of our Revolutionary War epaulettes worn by British and French officers had become elaborate affairs of gold or silver that started at the collar and ended at the point of the shoulder with heavy fringes of gold or silver wire. To some they looked like fancy hair brushes. They were also very expensive being made of gold or silver, sometimes solid metal and other times plated. Epaulettes for Sergeants and other enlisted men were of cheaper metals or cloth. In our Army officers started wearing gold or silver epaulettes in 1780 during the Revolutionary War and continued to do so until 1872, mostly on their dress uniforms. Army general wore epaulettes until early in the Twentieth Century. Navy officers also started wearing epaulettes during the Revolutionary War and did not give them up for their full dress uniforms until just before World War II. Marine officers wore epaulettes on their special full dress uniforms until 1922.

Source /https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/naval-traditions-names-of-rank/officer/epaulettes-and-shoulder-straps.html

Jeff

foster

then again, looks like most of the WW2 field uniforms on the US side does not have epaulettes, so who knows (although the US seems to be the odd one out, everyone else whether Axis or Allies seems to have epaulettes)

This is not accurate. The standard field jackets used by the US Army in WWII (M-1941, M-1943) both had epaulettes. The M-1942 paratrooper jacket had epaulettes.

My guess is that the epaulettes on the A2 were to provide protection from the parachute harness.

I think this is likely; the epaulette gives some strength to the shoulder seam. In some contracts the shoulder seam is underneath the epaulet, and in others the shoulder seam is immediately next to the epaulet so that there is not an exposed area to get worn down so near that seam.

JohnnyG

I found this thread interesting and would like to contribute to the silk discussion. I bought an Aero Goldsmith A-2 in seal Vicenza HH which, I must say, was one of the highest quality leather products I’ve ever purchased. Unfortunately, it was not the proper fit. I considered using a silk charmeuse lining but opted for cotton. Instead, I used the silk on a Gibson & Barnes AN-J-3. Of all my jackets - A-2’s, blazers, Aramni sport coats - that is
the most comfortable due to the lining. Silk is on different level of comfort and would be my choice if everything else were equal.

In regards to historical accuracy, if silk lining and even silk thread were use, I believe you’ll have a jacket that was what the army originally intended to issue and rendering the Goodwear I’m currently wearing in the league of mall jackets.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Thanks for your input, but wow a Good Wear Mall jacket? I certainly respect your opinion and enjoyed reading your post, but that would be a long reach for me. We are discussing just the linings of the two respective jackets right?
Not sure how the difference between silk and cotton would turn the GW into a mall jacket but hey you certainly are entitled to your opinion. Just one question ; were you being serious or just throwing that out for effect and to let us know how much you like the spun silk jacket lining?
Cheers

edit : forgive my lack of manners I forgot to say Welcome to the forum and glad to have you here! :)

London Cabbie

Can’t wait for this to land...

Attachments

• C2DC6F58-C697-4D03-B3AE-2F093A72AB66.jpeg
    C2DC6F58-C697-4D03-B3AE-2F093A72AB66.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 938B35B9-08C9-4E94-8F92-4196DB737B60.jpeg
    938B35B9-08C9-4E94-8F92-4196DB737B60.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 6840AC8B-E929-4EE0-B69F-468B5E92803B.jpeg
    6840AC8B-E929-4EE0-B69F-468B5E92803B.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 185

JohnnyG

Than
Thanks for your input, but wow a Good Wear Mall jacket? I certainly respect your opinion and enjoyed reading your post, but that would be a long reach for me. We are discussing just the linings of the two respective jackets right?
Not sure how the difference between silk and cotton would turn the GW into a mall jacket but hey you certainly are entitled to your opinion. Just one question ; were you being serious or just throwing that out for effect and to let us know how much you like the spun silk jacket lining?
Cheers

edit : forgive my lack of manners I forgot to say Welcome to the forum and glad to have you here! :)

Southoftheborder

Black cab drivers in London always used to make a lot of money. Much more than equivalent licensed hackney cabs in other world cities. That's why they are prepared to spend a couple of years of evenings and weekends pootling about on mopeds doing the knowledge. With Uber nowadays eating into places where minicabs didn't go maybe not so much.