• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldsmith A-2 Reproduction - Headwind Mfg Co

Persimmon

I don’t want to say anything disparaging about a competitor, but this looks a tad closer to the few posted photos of the originals...

Are you saying this is better than the Aero produced limited edition version ?

What reasons can you offer please ?

Skyhawk

Appreciate the input!

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL TEST JACKET.

This jacket is actually the first test jacket made months ago. Many of the changes you mentioned are already being incorporated into the 2nd test jacket being constructed right now. This jacket should be complete by next week.

Edit: Spec label -
The Gold looks pretty close in person so maybe a photo issue. It certainly falls within the range of gold colors used for A-2 spec labels. The color varied quite a bit from Amber Gold to Yellow Gold across the different A-2 contracts.
I think we came pretty close:
GS-Sat-Label.jpg

The label has been discussed in great length on the button flap A-2 thread:
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/buttoned-pocket-flaps-a-2-jackets.20145/page-12

On post #234 I explain that the label we used actually existed at the time the Goldsmith A-2 was made. Goldsmith put that label in their clothing items. A black and gold version of the label has never been seen in any of their clothing products.

They would have had the black white label on hand when constructing the A-2 jacket. I don't think they would have made a new label for 25 jackets, they would have just used a clothing label they already had. Just like SAT did a year later. They would have received the Spec label from the USAC and added their company label with it to denote the maker. The USAC Allowed SAT to do this a year later so I think they would allow Goldsmith to use their label as well.

With a Government contract you always try to minimize costs and it would have just not been practical to make up a new label for 25 jackets when the government allowed you to use your company label you already had.

So although it may look nice to have all the labels matching, I don't believe that is how it was done in 1930.

Best Regards,
Jay

Last edited:

Bombing IP

I think its unfair to expect Jay to accommodate all input from all members on a jacket that that exists only a a photo with no existing examples to compare to . I think thus far Aero and Headwind have done a remarkable job of producing jackets for advanced A2 aficionado's . I think they have got it as close as can be ,given the information available .
Bravo I say accept the jacket as done and buy them . This business of this needs to be 7mm smaller is BS when one cannot lay a ruler on an original photo angles and lens curvature etc etc .

BIP

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Thanks for the support, all of you!

I really don't mind discussion and constructive advice and theories. I value all the opinions from this forum. There is a lot of great knowledge here collectively.

I am doing my absolute best to reconstruct this jacket and to get the details right. I am excited to see the new test jacket completed and to see how it compares to my vision and to the original photos.

All The Best,
Jay

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Thanks Ken. Yeah the eps are wrapped around the outside of that seam. I don't think that I remembered that change for this next test jacket. There were a lot of things that needed tweaking. We will change that for the production jackets though. I am hoping for a near perfect test jacket but I know there will still be some small tweaks to get things 100%.

Ken at Aero Leather

The epaulette is joined between the arm hole and the sleeve, the body/sleeve seam is then top stitched all the way round, then the epaulette is hammered back as tight as possible before the outer edge box stitch is done. Only then is The epaulette joined to the neck hole

Ken at Aero Leather

Don't get nagged by the stitch counters into keeping the pockets the same distance (in every size) from the front edge as they are in Arnold pics, grade the distance according to size or they'll look awful in small sizes

Nickb123

I love this stuff. Still so much to learn; but as of recent a few members here (as well as Jay, Ken, etc) have really kept this subject refreshing with all of these new historical discoveries. Super niche, yes, but super cool.

Skyhawk

Update.... The test 2nd jacket is complete. We have come a long way but there is still some tweaking needed to get it 100% correct.

Please note:
THE POCKET FLAP IS THE WRONG SHAPE.
Due to a misunderstanding, the flap was made too long in the middle at the point. We will be using our original flap design only it will be bigger to match the original.

Our original flap design:
Pocket-in.jpg

Here are some photos of Test Jacket #2
P1040771.JPG

P1040774.JPG
P1040782.JPG
P1040778.JPG
P1040777.JPG

P1040789.JPG

P1040792.JPG

Attachments

• Pocket-in.jpg
    Pocket-in.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 223

B-Man2

Update.... The test 2nd jacket is complete. We have come a long way but there is still some tweaking needed to get it 100% correct.

Please note:
THE POCKET FLAP IS THE WRONG SHAPE.
Due to a misunderstanding, the flap was made too long in the middle at the point. We will be using our original flap design only it will be bigger to match the original.

Our original flap design:
View attachment 18164

Here are some photos of Test Jacket #2
View attachment 18165
View attachment 18166 View attachment 18167 View attachment 18168 View attachment 18169
View attachment 18170
View attachment 18171
Nice
That’s an outstanding jacket for the price.

Skyhawk

Thanks for the comments guys.
Yes the rivets are not covered by the leather collar stand. The hook and eye are installed correctly, not the wrong way around.
I don't know about a "Faux Pas" because other A-2 contracts had the rivets exposed as well.
Like the W535-AC-23383 contract for instance:
a23383_neck3.jpg

Granted the SAT A-2 had them under the collar stand so it could go either way. What are your guys thoughts? Were they most likely installed like the SAT? We don't have photos of that part of the jacket so we can't say for sure.