• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldsmith A-2 Reproduction - Headwind Mfg Co

Skyhawk

All the materials have been procured and we are going to begin constructing our reproduction of the P. Goldsmith Sons Co A-2 next week. Watch this thread for further updates.

Here is our label layout for the jacket. We went with the SAT format for the spec label thinking that it would most likely be the same for a jacket made one year earlier. Note the larger text on the "Type A-2". In addition we went with the white Goldsmith label that was used for garments during the time the jacket was produced by the company. The government allowed SAT to affix a company label less than one year later on their A-2 contract, so we think it is very likely that the government would have given the spec label to Goldsmith and allowed them to affix their company label in the same manner. The size tab placement is a crossover from the A-1 style jacket which shares some of the features of this first A-2 contract. We believe Goldsmith would have had an A-1 jacket to work with, and the size tab position choice would have been an easy one to just carry over from the A-1 jacket.
GS-Layout.jpg

With the hide we are going 100% spec. We will be using our Chrome Tanned Dark Russet Horsehide. It is a thick but supple hide that should suit this jacket perfectly. Our knits will be Medium Brown. Based on the photos, the knits appear to be a medium brown color when compared with other colors in the photos. The buttons will be our Antique Brown Horn buttons.
P1040399.JPG

Updates coming soon!

zoomer

Looking forward! It will be especially interesting in one respect - like Goldsmith, this will be your first crack at an A-2...and there’s nothing like a fresh eye.

Persimmon

If I recall from the War and Peace length thread on the button pocket A2 jacket, Jay had been working on his version of the Goldsmith jacket before Aero and Ken came up with their superb looking jacket

zoomer

Skyhawk, looking at the pictures Ken has shared with us, would you say your horse is thicker than Aero's steer?

Skyhawk

I like the labels but am disappointed and puzzled by the use of a "thick" leather.

After going to great lengths to get the details correct why not use a leather of
the correct thickness?

I couldn't agree more! Our Russet Horsehide is the same thickness as some originals that I have owned. It is actually a very close match to a recent Knopf A-2 I had in thickness and color.

P1030043.JPG

P1030043.JPG

As you can see, this knopf is no thin leather jacket. I meant our hide is thick and supple like an original, not thick and stiff like......say a 50z indestructo moto jacket.

Regards,
Jay

Attachments

• P1030043.JPG
    P1030043.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 351
Last edited:

Skyhawk

If I recall from the War and Peace length thread on the button pocket A2 jacket, Jay had been working on his version of the Goldsmith jacket before Aero and Ken came up with their superb looking jacket

Thanks Alan! That is true. I have been planning a Goldsmith reproduction for over a year. Steve S can corroborate this as I had asked him about some A-2 design points regarding the Goldsmith jacket, quite a while ago. I had been researching the jacket for a long time but was having problems deciding on what type of features to include. I knew about the button pockets and figured it would have some similar traits as the A-1 and possibly the SAT jacket as well. When that new photo surfaced, it was kinda like I thought it would be.

Shebang!! Suddenly I had all the details I needed to complete my long work in progress.

Skyhawk

OK guys, I have been getting requests to offer the Goldsmith A-2 on a preorder basis. I have put some thought into this and I can offer a discount to anyone who wants to preorder a jacket.
For your preorder you will get a big discount and a spot in line in the Que.

Preorders are available for $525 + shipping. This is a huge discount off the retail price. There will be a waiting period while our new Hookless zippers are being made. We only have a few left so we are resupplying them at the moment. Once they come in, we are set to go on the orders and they will be made in the order they were received. We plan to have the first ones done in about 8 weeks. The prototype jacket should be ready in about 2 weeks.

Regards,
Jay

B-Man2

OK guys, I have been getting requests to offer the Goldsmith A-2 on a preorder basis. I have put some thought into this and I can offer a discount to anyone who wants to preorder a jacket.
For your preorder you will get a big discount and a spot in line in the Que.

Preorders are available for $525 + shipping. This is a huge discount off the retail price. There will be a waiting period while our new Hookless zippers are being made. We only have a few left so we are resupplying them at the moment. Once they come in, we are set to go on the orders and they will be made in the order they were received. We plan to have the first ones done in about 8 weeks. The prototype jacket should be ready in about 2 weeks.

Regards,
Jay
Jay
Are pre orders being taken thru your website?

Skyhawk

Jay
Are pre orders being taken thru your website?

I have not set that up yet but if anyone wants to preorder just PM me for now and I will send out an invoice via email.

I will set up a link on the website and post it here when it is up.

Regards,
Jay

marchuws

Nice looking jacket. Haven't seen anyone modelling one though. Are they available to order. Be nice to compare to Ken's version.

Skyhawk

Hardly a multi-photo advert though is it ?

Sorry, i’m still underwhelmed. Maybe it’s just me.....

Thanks so much for the constructive criticism.... honestly. I totally agree with you.
GS-Test-1.jpg

Test Jacket #1

I had meant to post more photos of the test jacket on the site but there were so many changes we are making to it, I didn't want to post inaccurate photos. I am going to great lengths to make this reproduction as close as possible to the original. At the time, I never thought it would be so long of a wait for the next test jacket.

I have posted more photos of test jacket #1 on the page. I think at this point it is important to get some photos up that at least show the direction we are heading in.

http://www.headwindmfg.com/goldsmith.html

I appreciate the continued support. I am very excited to get this jacket 100% complete. Probably 10x mare excited than anyone here to see the final version.

Regards,
Jay

bseal

I don’t want to say anything disparaging about a competitor, but this looks a tad closer to the few posted photos of the originals...